If you have problems with CotN - README

For any technical or performance issues
Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:11 am

Your video and audio drivers are quite old and need updating. Update your video driver to the 61.77 version I mentioned above. Make sure you follow instuctions and uninstall your current video driver first then install the newer one.

Your system is running just the bare minimum memory required by CotN. 256M is the minimum requiref for CotN on a Windows XP system. More RAM might help.

It might also be a good idea to uninstall the game and then do a disk cleanup and disk defragmentation unless you have done it quite recently, since you only have 3-4GB of free space left. Then reinstall the game.

Dog of the Sun

AAW great.

Postby Dog of the Sun » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:52 pm

I was starting an easy nhekken city to see how nice I could make my empire, and it shut down the game and gave me a microsoft closing error. This happened on my other comp too in the living room :( . I thought I had the bug out but NO I didn't so here I am. Help Please! :confused: :( My DXDAIG is attached> Ok Hope this is it, thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:22 pm

As in my other reply, try shutting down any background apps like a virus scanner before you play.

Try a reinstall.

shrtdoggie

Houston, we still have a problem

Postby shrtdoggie » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:53 pm

I've downloaded both the new SB service pack and Nvida 61.77 drivers and yes I removed the ohter drivers first. The newest patch is also in. The game still will not load. What else can we do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:11 am

You may want to try updating your SB Live drivers as well. The ones at this link are newer than your current ones and the latest ones available for the SB Live! card from Sound Blaster.

Teh_Sparky

Postby Teh_Sparky » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:07 pm

I just recently got CotN and have found that everything seems to work perfectly, except that there appears to be no world map. I can see the cities where they should be, and can click on them with no trouble, but instead of the city icons sitting on a map of Egypt, there is instead total white. I have found this white to be present wherever i believe the worldmap needs to be: On the campaign start, the world map screen during a scenario, and scenario loading screens.

Could someone please help me with this? I have attached dxdiag for if it is needed.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:12 pm

I had once the problem of city of Waset not opening in the grand campaign on the world map. So I uninstalled and reinstalled and everything went right, so I would give a try to uninstall and reinstall.

Teh_Sparky

Postby Teh_Sparky » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:14 pm

I've attempted uninstall and reinstall, and i've installed the 1.2 patch, but nothing seems to fix it... The problem seems to be something like a missing file, or something, since i appear to be able to click the cities without problem.

Edit: I was just looking around the Graphics folder in the CotN directory and was wondering if there should be image(s) in the world level > map folder, because i have none.
Last edited by Teh_Sparky on Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GillB

Postby GillB » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:30 pm

Your video card drivers are out of date. You need the Nvidia drivers from July 2004. That should solve it ...

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:37 pm

You may want to try a lower screen resolution in the game first. Try 800x600 from the options menu and see what happens. Try 16-bit color modes too.

If that doesn'k work update your dirvers to 61.77 from July 2004. These have proven to be least problematic. You will need to uninstall your current Nvidia dirvers before installing the next version.

You might also want to try raising your monitor's refresh rate from 60Hz to something a bit highter like 75Hz and see if that will help.

angel

Postby angel » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:23 pm

I can only play the tutorials. I've run a dxdiag. Please help!

spike217014

Please help - can't even install!?

Postby spike217014 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:16 pm

Every time I try and install cotn i keep recieving - error 1607 - unable to install installshield scripting runtime, whereupon the installation shuts itself down.

I have not encountered this problem before and have installed other recent programs without any problems. I have followed the advice listed on the installshield consumer database all to no avail.

Has anybody else encountered this problem and if so any ideas on a solution?

Grateful for any help, hints or ideas???????

Cheers. Spike

Amenirdis

Postby Amenirdis » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:42 pm

@ angel

Your might wanna try to update your graphics card driver to version 61.77.

spike217014

help please

Postby spike217014 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:53 pm

I already have 61.77 installed on my machine. It appears that the problem lies with the installshield rather as it will not even start to install. I have never encountered this before.

Amenirdis

Postby Amenirdis » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:00 pm

spike217014 wrote:I already have 61.77 installed on my machine. It appears that the problem lies with the installshield rather as it will not even start to install. I have never encountered this before.

I'm sorry spike, I was responding to the mail of angel - just above yours.
You are trying to run CotN on a laptop as I have seen. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with them, so I cannot help you. But don't give up, I am sure someone here can give you real help.
I am only wondering, if it is maybe the graphicscard on your laptop that's causing the trouble.

Obelisk

Help!!!

Postby Obelisk » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:52 am

Hi all!

I have just the same problem as spike. I cant install the game! :mad:

Error 1311. Source file not found. E:\CotN.cab. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.(and i can access it)
Error:-1603 Fatal error during Install.

Please, Please help me!

Manni

Postby Manni » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:22 pm

Everyone with notebooks and integrated graphic-chips:
Do not install drivers from the NVIDIA-main page.

There it says:

GeForce2 Go, GeForce4 Go and GeForce FX Go mobile processors are not supported in these driver. Please contact the notebook's manufacturer for graphics drivers for your notebook PC.

vashon

Major lag

Postby vashon » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:13 pm

The game runs fine for me until I start making the bigger cities. then I get lag so bad there is no sense in playing. It will run for about two frames then hang. I know the game is still running becuase when the video catches up everything "jumps" to where it should be....people walking are on the other side of the city, scrolling the map is jumped across the screen etc... I have the latest video drivers for my ati 9600. attached is my file for you to look at. love the game...would love to play it now.

aussie1855

help with installation

Postby aussie1855 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:26 am

Hi, Im having problems install CotN. When i run the autorun is give me an error message (please see attached) and when I try to run the msi file it also gioves me an error. I have also attached the dxdiag file as when as screen shots of the two error messages. I have tried to update the windows install but it says that I am running in safe mode (no) or windows install services are not installed correctly - this I cannot work out or uninstall to re-install.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:42 am

aussie1855 wrote:Hi, Im having problems install CotN. When i run the autorun is give me an error message (please see attached) and when I try to run the msi file it also gioves me an error. I have also attached the dxdiag file as when as screen shots of the two error messages. I have tried to update the windows install but it says that I am running in safe mode (no) or windows install services are not installed correctly - this I cannot work out or uninstall to re-install.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.
It would help, if you had actually attached your error message and dxdiag.txt file.

Return to “Technical Support”