If you have problems with CotN - README

For any technical or performance issues
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:09 pm

Manni wrote:Answers only .......`t try yet.........haven`t got the full game yet :D

yes I understand but it didn't work with 61.77, I left it on while I tried other solutions but when I decided to make the post I switched back cause it didn't work apparently

but my biggest guess is that TM forgot the new cards, I need my 66.93 because my graka is 6800GT

but why the solution to this problem isn't 61.77:
-installing 61.77 and trying with it doesn't change anything
-the game started lagging suddenly and as for as I see without reason so it can't be that the game suddenly didn't accept the gfx driver anymore

Manni

Postby Manni » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:24 pm

but my biggest guess is that TM forgot the new cards, I need my 66.93 because my graka is 6800GT

On the NVIDIA-page for the 61,77 you can read:

Release Highlights:

Add support for GeForce 6800 series So yours too
Complete support for NVIDIA PCI Express GPUs
Consumer electronic display support for DVI-based digital displays, such as widescreen plasma screens (CEA/EIA-861B)
QuickZoom – ease eye strain and enable ergonomic computing with easy Windows magnification
Updated application profiles allow users to assign multiple profiles for each application
Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 1.5 support
a.s.o.

Manni

Postby Manni » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:27 pm

yes I understand but it didn't work with 61.77, I left it on while I tried other solutions but when I decided to make the post I switched back cause it didn't work apparently

WHAT exactly did not work with the 61.77 ?
Have you tried to go onto 16bit ?

Stelly

Postby Stelly » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:42 pm

yep tried 16bit too, I even downgraded and turned off any possible option I found (while in the main menu so not while I was running the map, so like it is supposed to be according to hte manual)

and yes the 61.77 supports 6800GT but not all it's functions

I think it's better to wait untill someone can try the savefile before we are accused of spamming :o

mouse

Postby mouse » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:34 pm

Stelly the problem isn't with CotN it's with the changes that Nvadia and Ati made with newer drivers that are the source of the problems. In releasing newer drivers they have dropped out things needed to support a number of games.

kiva

never...

Postby kiva » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:53 pm

i'm really in despair... i've installed the recent driver . something fonctionally correctly but , i'm not have access to missions !!!!!!! always the same problem ...
I forsake , It's impossible !!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

I'm join the third DxDiag scan...

:( :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:11 pm

The first thing I would suggest is to uninstall CotN. Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter. Then reinstall the game. If you reinstall to the same path as before you save games should be safe.

If that doesn't help, then try reducing the in-game screen resolution to something smaller than you are using now. If you have the game set to run 1600x1200 try 1280x1024 or 1024x768 or 800x600. You may also want to try the 16-bit color mode resolution settings just to see if that may help.

Next, I would recommend that you increase the MAXIMUM page file setting on your computer from the 1970 to 3072. To do this click on the Control Panel/Perfrormance and Maintenance, System/Advance tab, then in the Performance sectoin the SETTINGS button, click the ADVANCED tab, in the Virtual Memory sectoin click the CHANGE button. Then in the custom setting you might want to make the minimum 1536 and the maximum 3072. Click SET. Click OK. Click APPLY and OK. Close any other windows. REBOOT.

If that doesn't work, then uninstall your 66.93 drivers and reinstall the 61.77 drivers again. Try the screen resolutions above again.
[url=mailto :d heitm8612@aol.com]Keith Heitmann[/url] a.k.a Nuthin-in-khamun
Listen to the music of the CityBuilders while online:
Caesar III Music Player•Pharaoh Music Jukebox•Zeus Music Jukebox•Emperor's Music Box•Children of the Nile Musicbox•
Children of the Nile & Quiz•Visit PlanetNile

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:28 pm

Addendum: I did try your save game file after posting the above and your save file displays the same problems on my system. So there must be something wrong with either the save file itself or the map it was created from. If ithis is a custom map, which it looks like, it may not be properly designed. There could also be a pathing issue somewhere in the city that is causing the pauses of such a long duration that I did not spot.

I run a P4 3Ghz machine and don't have any problems worth noting when running the normal game maps and pauses I have are just slight hesitations of less than a fraction of a second normally.

There is definitely a problem there somewhere.

Stelly

Postby Stelly » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:32 am

so it is the game thank you

and it's the easy map of the 2nd age, the one at the delta
I actually already did all the things you guys suggested that's why I asked to try my save file which would bring conclusion

thanks for everyone for the efforts!!!!! :)

now let's hope we have some good savefile way back :(

*EDIT*
yeah normally I get 0.5second hasitation when planting season starts and all those farmers jump out of their home :p

and to tm:
Version: 66.93
Release Date: November 9, 2004

January 7th, 2005
v1.2 Patch Released
Last edited by Stelly on Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:38 am

I am sure TM is aware of the dates of release of the video drivers but the fact of the matter has been that the majority of those with 66.93 having problems have had their problems corrected when they went back to 61.77.

sspurle

Problems with CotN

Postby sspurle » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:38 pm

Keith
I am having problems with lagging and jerky graphics. I have included DxDiag.
I have defragged and installed the patch, the first scenario played slow and the second scenario is playing even slower. Please help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:08 pm

sspurle wrote:Keith
I am having problems with lagging and jerky graphics. I have included DxDiag.
I have defragged and installed the patch, the first scenario played slow and the second scenario is playing even slower. Please help!
The first thing you should do is to change your video driver to version 61.77. Download it, then uninstall your current driver than install 61.77. See this post about the 61.77 drivers.

You may want to update your old AC97 audio drivers by downloading the A3.69 update. The update is for all Windows based machines from Win98 through XP. Be sure you read the README file posted there before you install the update.

You may also want to try increasing your Page File memory size from 530 MB to 1536.

Click Start/Control Panel/Maintenance and Performance/System/Advanced/Performance (Settings)/Advanced/Virtual Memory (Change)/Custom Size and set the Maximum to 1536. Click SET then OK. Click APPLY and OK. Close any other menues. Reboot.

I would recommend that before you make any changes tht you first create a system restore point so you can easily revert back to the current state if something goes wrong. Click START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYETEM TOOLS/SYSTEM RESTORE. Use the CREATE link to make a new restore point.

Have you also tried loweing the screen resolution in the game from 1024x768 to 800x600 and lowering other video AND audio settings from inside the game?
Last edited by Keith on Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

athkatla

Postby athkatla » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:30 pm

Hi there, I'm having slight problems with jerky movement on some maps, and recently I have had a NVIDIA Graphics card fitted, however I noticed in my DXDIAG that it appears that my computer is still using my old SIS chipset sound drivers! Could you take a look at my DXDIAG (attached) and advise me as to what steps to take to ensure as good a game playing as I can expect from my computer. Thanks in advance. :)

Manni

Postby Manni » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:47 pm

Hello athkatla from North Lincolnshire,

your dxdiag tells me you are using driver-version 61.76 .
You ought to get the driver-version 53.04 from nvidia first, uninstall the 61.76 and install then 53.04 being in safe mode after newstart.

The 53.04 has proven to be the best to use for win98 and CotN.
You could also upper your page file.

Your SIS 7018 wave-sound-stuff seems to be attached to your motherboard which you can`t alter or do you have a seperate sound-card attached?

Cheers to Albion!

athkatla

Postby athkatla » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:10 pm

Manni wrote:Hello athkatla from North Lincolnshire,

your dxdiag tells me you are using driver-version 61.76 .
You ought to get the driver-version 53.04 from nvidia first, uninstall the 61.76 and install then 53.04 being in safe mode after newstart.

The 53.04 has proven to be the best to use for win98 and CotN.
You could also upper your page file.

Your SIS 7018 wave-sound-stuff seems to be attached to your motherboard which you can`t alter or do you have a seperate sound-card attached?

Cheers to Albion!

Hi, thanks for the reply, however I'm no techno, and a couple of things have me baffled:-

install then 53.04 being in safe mode after newstart Umm, I don't know what you mean by this!

or this:- You could also upper your page file. I think for these things I need a step by step idiots guide!

As far as I know, I don't have another sound card fitted.

athkatla

Postby athkatla » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:28 am

Just for information to all the tech guys on here, Manni is helping me with my problem via email, so I'm not in need of any more assistance at the moment. Thanks. :)

freshjive

help hmmm

Postby freshjive » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:18 am

here is what i have

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:53 am

freshjive wrote:here is what i have

But what is the problem you are having?

You have Nvidia driver 66.93 installed, and if you are experiencing some sort of graphical problem or the game is shutting down, you will probably have to download the 61.77 drivers mentioned above (and just about every support thread) then uninstall your current drivers and install 61.77 instead.

freshjive

alas...

Postby freshjive » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:00 am

Yes..I have installed it, but now the game locks up instead of havinng graphics problems and shuts down my my whole pc.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:06 am

freshjive wrote:Yes..I have installed it, but now the game locks up instead of havinng graphics problems and shuts down my my whole pc.

Ok, then I would suggest changing Nvidia drivers as mentioned above. This has been a regular problem with 66.93 and Nvidia cards. 61.77 has proven more stable than the newer versions and has cured many people's problem.

Make sure you unisntall 66.93 before you install 61.77.

Return to “Technical Support”