How About India??

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
Khopesh Sidearm

How About India??

Postby Khopesh Sidearm » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:51 am

I've been thinking about it a bit recently, and it occured to me that India might be a nice locale for the next CB. I don't know if anyone's suggested this before, so forgive me just in case. There are several reasons why India would make a nice cluture to base a game on...

1. A long history of civilization -some 5000 years or so!
2. A rich variety of environments on the Indian pennisula - deserts, jungles, coastlines, mountains, etc.
3. Proximity to other cultures; China, southeast Asian, the Middle East.
4. Closely related to #3: the threat of invasion from some of these other cultures (for those of us who like occasional military action in their games)- Alexander the Great springs to mind, and though my history is a bit rusty there was the Aryan invasion early on in India's history (NO RELATION to Nazi ideology!!! :eek: )
5. Beautiful and totally unique artwork and architecture.
6. Many aspects of Indian culture are still present today and I'd be willing to bet many CBers have a passing familiarity with them - yoga, Buddhism, heck, even Bali-wood!! :D

Any thoughts?

PS: If this idea doesn't fly, I immediately cast my vote for Aztec/Maya ;)

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:14 am

This has been suggested numerous times as well. I think it'd be interesting. :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:22 pm

Every culture or dynasty or empire has been mentioned at some point over the 8 years since Caesar III first came out. They keep making repeat appearances as each new game comes out. There are usually numerous polls about what the next game should be. You can find all the recent ones further down the old threads on the varous boards here.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:37 pm

I'd love to see one about ancient India. It would make a very colorful game.. and I think there are enough buildings and specialty architecture to make it a lush game environment.

Spearthrower

Postby Spearthrower » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:32 am

India is so often overlooked in any and all games.

For a unique and truly ancient culture, we also have a lot of information about them.

I think it would make a perfect place for an ancient city builder - preferably in the same vein as CotN as the layers of Hindu society would make for a very interesting strategic challenge.

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:53 pm

Spearthrower wrote:India is so often overlooked in any and all games.

For a unique and truly ancient culture, we also have a lot of information about them.

I think it would make a perfect place for an ancient city builder - preferably in the same vein as CotN as the layers of Hindu society would make for a very interesting strategic challenge.

I agree that India would be a great place to explore in a building game, if the format was that of CoTN. Of course we could have two new games, one in ancient India and one in ancient Russia. Since the format is already available all we need is the new buildings. I am ready to PLAY. :D

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:37 pm

"Since the format is already available all we need is the new buildings."

Well, I don't think the Impressions Team (now, for the most part, the TM Team) ever just swapped out buildings to create a new iteration of a CB! However, I myselef was always impressed with the way each new CB from C3 to Emperor utilized the same core engine and game dynamics, making it possible for Impressions to roll out a new CB every 24-30 months.

Then of course the time came when a new engine had to be built and of course it made sense to go 3D. Now, hopefully, when the final wrinkles are worked out of the C4 model, TM will get the chance to repeat its earlier corporate strategy -- and we'll see a string of really cool new games in the coming months/years!

Of course, that's all in the hands of Vivendi now...

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:09 pm

Gordon Farrell wrote:Of course, that's all in the hands of Vivendi now...

I certainly hope it is NOT in the hands of VU games. I hope TM will do next a new game in their own series of Immortal Cities. Game set in Russia or India...with some new concepts there were not in CoTN. :)

bexgames

Postby bexgames » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:14 pm

Kiya wrote:I certainly hope it is NOT in the hands of VU games. I hope TM will do next a new game in their own series of Immortal Cities.

Kiya, I really hope that the "powers that be" read your words right there.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:21 pm

Ah thanks bexgames :) I think they hardly care for what I write here....they have their plans probably already ready made for the next game ...

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:57 pm

Kiya wrote:Ah thanks bexgames :) I think they hardly care for what I write here....they have their plans probably already ready made for the next game ...

Kiya, I really do think "the powers that be" care what people think about what games they want to play. If no one buy's their games, no profit!!!.

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:03 am

Game companies may not post often but they read these boards obsessively.

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:57 am

Gordon Farrell wrote:Game companies may not post often but they read these boards obsessively.

That is a great thing to know. Maybe we will end up with a couple of new games to play, and will not have to make up our own. :D

Anguille

Postby Anguille » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:55 am

I am all for it... :p

JadeDragon

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:20 am

Gordon Farrell wrote:Game companies may not post often but they read these boards obsessively.

How is it that you know this GF? Do you work for a game company or is it pure speculation? :) JD

I personally would love a CB on India, all those elephants instead of donkeys.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:25 am

Yes, indeed. Glad if they listen to us. But so far only two, me and bexgames I think, are of the opinion that TM should do a game in the series of Immortal Cities. Is that enought for them to listen to the two or three of us? :p :D

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:07 pm

only three? heck I still perfer cotn to other games kiya!

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:14 pm

King Faticus wrote:only three? heck I still perfer cotn to other games kiya!

Hello KF :) I'm losing the red line in my own conversation. LOL People keep saying 'oh yes the devs will listen to you' but what am I actually saying that they could be listening to? Not many are agreeing with me, so will they listen to one would-be-customer? Not much money and profit out of one or two people! :D

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:16 pm

Kiya wrote:Hello KF :) I'm losing the red line in my own conversation. LOL People keep saying 'oh yes the devs will listen to you' but what am I actually saying that they could be listening to? Not many are agreeing with me, so will they listen to one would-be-customer? Not much money and profit out of one or two people! :D

I believe there are more than two people who want more games in the style of CotN. It seems everyday someone is asking for new scenarios. With new cultures to explore I bet the games would fly off the shelves.

bexgames

Postby bexgames » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:31 pm

thegrad wrote:I believe there are more than two people who want more games in the style of CotN. It seems everyday someone is asking for new scenarios. With new cultures to explore I bet the games would fly off the shelves.

If you look at the majority of people in the who's online, they are on the cotn side. especially late at night when you're all sleeping ;)
There is still alot of interest in that game, even after so many years.
(I actually found this forum when I entered "cotn 2" in my search engine.)

I'm hoping TM understands what a jewel they had there, and that a sequel (India, mesoamerica, wherever) is highly anticipated by LOTS of people. :)

Are you listening TM? :cool:

Return to “The Tilted Mill”