How About India??

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
reachrishikh

Postby reachrishikh » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Admit it Gloria, you were thinking about me, weren't you, when you bumped this thread? :p

BTW, did you ever hear from Spear again?

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:01 pm

I am wondering how we might get an SCS mod with India. If we can't convince TM to make an India game, we might be able to get something of our own making, if we can find a team. I've finally bought another drawing slate and am banging on the 3DMax tutorials, but its a slow process. I guess everything is in its own time. (India time perhaps) When a goal arrives, it is relished. I've been checking and might have a Max class at our local uni. After learning Maya, I have to re-learn the interface and mouse moves. It might be helpful to have a project in mind while taking a class.

My correspondence with your part of the world is rather slow these days.

We are busy at CBC planning our next team contest.(starting this weekend) It uses the old classic, Caesar3. Join us for the fun and learning. With some luck we will have expert players as team leaders.

reachrishikh

Postby reachrishikh » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:07 pm

I've forgotten all my expertise in C3 and the other city-builders a long time ago. Haven't touched them in years now.

Y'know, any time now, they might announce a merger of the two software, Maya and Max, since they're from the same company now. Or atleast they should make their interfaces similar. My friend had a similar issue with Maya, coming from a Max background, when I asked him to do some particle effects for me. He eventually gave it up, and then I, a person with virtually no background/knowledge/experience in any graphical designing/modelling, had to speed-learn how to use Maya and particle dynamics, all by myself, within a week.

And since you say you want to learn Max, and not Maya, I can't even give you the link to the site where they have online free 3D animation tutorials. They don't have Max tutorials, I've already checked.
Here it is anyway -
http://www.digitaltutors.com

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi Reach,

I've been "banging" on these tutorials and have the general idea of what to do. Now for the practice to make it automatic!

http://www.video-tutes.com/packages/3d1.php They have tutorials for Max, Adobe Premier Pro, After Effects, Bryce5, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Illustrator, Indesign, Poser, Quark Xpress, Particle Illusion, Photoshop, etc. Have a look at the number and good progression they make from tutorial to tutorial. They don't have Maya, so your link makes a nice set of tutorials for the modders.

THanks
Julia

jinishans

Postby jinishans » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:53 pm

JuliaSet

Im in for it. I think customization in SCS we can do in C#, if that's right, im a .NET/C# guy. Im from India, but im now in Hartford, US. Ill def. do as much i can.

Regards
Jinishans

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:34 pm

jinishans that sounds like we might make a team for this project.

I think we need to make some buildings first... and also search for national clothing.

I can make a private forum for any team we assemble, make a data base to store our files on the CBC server.

Our other concern is to wether we use Destinations or SCS for this. We might find some interesting water developments in Destinations, which would make our India mod much more interesting.

If anyone is serious about this, sign up for the cbc forum, http://www.citybuildingcontests.net/vbulletin/ message me and I will enable you to the Special Projects, a private forum. The link below was the results of thinking of India as a Civilizations 4 Mod, but there were no artists to do the units and buildings at the time.

We may as well use this as a base of information and build on it towards an SCS mod. http://www.citybuildingcontests.net/indian-mods/index.html Maybe even the Devs at TM, might like to audit our efforts after we get started.

Until then, everyone can help us by researching what the buildings looked like and link us to every online image they find (or attach the picture to this forum thread)... The same goes for clothing. I've not done that before as civilians didn't appear on the game map.

Whoopie! We might have some fun with this.
JuliaSet
Last edited by JuliaSet on Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:38 pm

I've made dozens of buildings for Civilization III and the CivFanatics Center (although with Bryce) in architectural styles ranging from 19th century Mughal to classical Nagara style to ancient Harappan. So I have lots and lots of building examples if you need them. :)

I still haven't learned 3ds Max yet (and not likely to anytime soon since I'm moving back into my maddeningly hectic schedule >.< ), but if I do, I'll probably end up making a complete SCS Korea mod and perhaps help out on an India mod as well. :D

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:39 pm

Hey Zeem,

Sounds good. You can email images to me and I can host them, also put them in the private forum.

Thanks,
Julia

The Sage Nabooru

Postby The Sage Nabooru » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Making an "Indian" SCS is nothing compared to an actual Indian civilization game, IMO. It's more than just buildings and clothing.

For me one of the most fascinating aspects of a game based in India would be religion. Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Sikhism, Jainism, and pockets of Christianity and even Judaism.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:39 pm

TM is known for their beautifully crafted Ancient Civilizations. SCS was not at all like the others. I would put my money on TM getting it just right.. Only wish I would win the lotto, sponsor that and have fun with India as a living breathing civ.

When CotN is re-released, you might try the Demo and see what I mean.
JuliaSet

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:05 am

CotN was much more than being just a cosmetic representation of ancient society; it is one of the few city-building games that very clearly demonstrate the interdependency of social classes and the dynamics of a barter economy. :) One can only imagine how detailed the next in the series may be.

Personally, I could make a very long-drawn out argument for a CB set in ancient Korea, but that's a whole other thing. :o

Marius

Postby Marius » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:43 am

I guess the problem with portraying India would be the caste system. It's officially outlawed... but still prevalent in the actual society.

Publically stating that some folks are worth more to society based on which crotch they were squeezed out of ... is considered illegal in most countries ... while totally supported in the self same countries.. EG... Britain .. you supposedly cannot discriminate ... but royalty are born wealthy and powerful ... duhhh ...

It is illegal to play the game in India ... yet everyone does...

Do it historically ... not on the current era if you want a success

Aushun

Postby Aushun » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:33 pm

I guess the point is that after CotN, which was an honest and authentic representation of ancient Egyptian society, a similar foundation is expected, and almost required, from any future historical city builder. Unfortunately, that means the caste system has to be considered when regarding India. CotN (and Caesar/Pharaoh/Zeus) all managed to sidestep the Slave issue somewhat subtly, but imo the caste system was more integral to and prominent in ancient Indian society than slavery was to ancient Egypt/Rome/Greece, so of course there needs to be a lot of introspection about what to include and how to do so. If it can be pulled off though, the prospects are positively salivating. :D

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:12 pm

I think it might be worked on easily enough. CotN featured upward mobility of the various groups. (farmers could become shopkeepers, go on to nobility and priests) All they would have to do is code the limits of actual caste limits. Guess the problem would be in starting off with x number of each to seed the game... then rely on birth rates that are effected by war, deforestation, draught, famine, religion etc.

Would be an interesting and gloriously colorful game. One of my dearest hopes is one day to travel the world, stopping for sure in Egypt and India, Bali, maybe back to China to feel and photograph the places with an eye to documenting buildings, people, clothing, etc. Just for TM to use as research.

The last colorful citybuilding game made was Emperor. Maybe it is time to have the next one. Also with Steam, it might be easier to protect their IP. Dunno, would like to know more about that issue if someone understands it.

Return to “The Tilted Mill”