How About India??

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
Kiya

Postby Kiya » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:39 pm

bexgames wrote:If you look at the majority of people in the who's online, they are on the cotn side. especially late at night when you're all sleeping ;)
:

LOL Whose night? Your night is our day. :p ;) You mean you overseas people in the US are sleeping when we in Europe, Australia, Asia are awake or the otherway round? :D

bexgames wrote:I'm hoping TM understands what a jewel they had there, and that a sequel (India, mesoamerica, wherever) is highly anticipated by LOTS of people. :)

Are you listening TM? :cool:

I do hope they are listening. :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:17 pm

I've mentioned it before, but a lot of those "guests" you see are more than likely search engines paying a visit. It becomes even more obvious when you see a number of guests all doing the same thing like viewing attachments or user profiles all at the very same time.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:30 am

India ~ Ick

Meso- or Historic America ~ Yum !!! :) :) :)

Go West

PS ~ Keith, REAL people are using the User Profile, cuz they are trying to find mah old wizdom posts. :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:16 am

MarkDuffy wrote:India ~ Ick

*coff* *coff* zeno *coff* phobe :eek: :eek: :D

MarkDuffy wrote:Go West

*is content with the blow he delt and decides to leave :cool: *

Taking things out of context is fun :)

Spearthrower

Postby Spearthrower » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:48 am

Meso America would be good - again it's not an often done culture. It's inherent interdependency would make for an interesting variable.

But what does "Historic America" mean? I am at a bit of a loss to even make a guess! :) If you mean the area that is today the USA, you've got predominantly nomadic peoples which wouldnt make for a fun city building game... or peoples like the Cahokia who settled and possibly made a city as large as 20000, but we have very little idea about any buildings. Aside from the Pueblo indians (again a poor CB context) I really can't see how what is today's USA could be the focus for any sort of ancient city building game.

But for a rarely done truly "great" civilisation, I think it is really time that India got the CB treatment. An ancient high watermark of civilisation that is so often ignored in the West - they had massive city states, wars, built major constructions, had castes, a systematic religion and codex, commerce and governmental structures while we in the west were mostly only getting together to hunt down mammoths, to sacrifice some goats and to show off our new seal skin loincloth.

Going from the proto ancient Harrapan's or Indus Valley civilisation, you could trace the development through to the Iron Age - the Vedic period.

EDIT: Added linky http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_Valley_Civilization and a quote from it (my bold)

A sophisticated and technologically advanced urban culture is evident in the Indus Valley Civilization. The quality of municipal town planning suggests knowledge of urban planning and efficient municipal governments which placed a high priority on hygiene. The streets of major cities such as Mohenjo-daro or Harappa were laid out in perfect grid patterns. The houses were protected from noise, odors, and thieves.

As seen in Harappa, Mohenjo-daro and the recently discovered Rakhigarhi, this urban plan included the world's first urban sanitation systems. Within the city, individual homes or groups of homes obtained water from wells. From a room that appears to have been set aside for bathing, waste water was directed to covered drains, which lined the major streets. Houses opened only to inner courtyards and smaller lanes.

The ancient Indus systems of sewerage and drainage that were developed and used in cities throughout the Indus Empire, were far more advanced than any found in contemporary urban sites in the Middle East and even more efficient than those in some areas of Pakistan and India today. The advanced architecture of the Harappans is shown by their impressive dockyards, granaries, warehouses, brick platforms and protective walls. The massive citadels of Indus cities that protected the Harappans from floods and attackers were larger than most Mesopotamian ziggurats.

The purpose of the citadel remains debated. In sharp contrast to this civilization's contemporaries, Mesopotamia and Ancient Egypt, no large monumental structures were built. There is no conclusive evidence of palaces or temples - or of kings, armies, or priests. Some structures are thought to have been granaries. Found at one city is an enormous well-built bath, which may have been a public bath. Although the citadels were walled, it is far from clear that these structures were defensive. They may have been built to divert flood waters.

Most city dwellers appear to have been traders or artisans, who lived with others pursuing the same occupation in well-defined neighborhoods. Materials from distant regions were used in the cities for constructing seals, beads and other objects. Among the artifacts discovered were beautiful beads of glazed stone called faïence. The seals have images of animals, gods and other types of inscriptions. Some of the seals were used to stamp clay on trade goods and most probably had other uses.

This would rapidly lead into the Vedic civilisations with more stuctured religion, rulers and states.

This just screams City Builder to me!! :)
Last edited by Spearthrower on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bexgames

Postby bexgames » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:18 am

ok, now that I see those pics, it looks dry as heck. :(
I'm tired of dry, the tropical mesoamerican setting is looking good again. :cool:

really great pics and info spear. thanks!

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:05 am

That area was probably more lush in ancient times. India or Meso America - it doesn't matter. Just make another Immortal Cities game! :p

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:43 am

Spearthrower wrote:But what does "Historic America" mean? I am at a bit of a loss to even make a guess! :)

Historic America begins with the Discovery of America & goes forward from there.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:06 am

MarkDuffy wrote:Historic America begins with the Discovery of America & goes forward from there.

I wonder who discovered 'your' America? Image

Denario

Postby Denario » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:49 am

Kiya wrote:Hello KF :) I'm losing the red line in my own conversation. LOL People keep saying 'oh yes the devs will listen to you' but what am I actually saying that they could be listening to? Not many are agreeing with me, so will they listen to one would-be-customer? Not much money and profit out of one or two people! :D

Hi Kiya, Make that three or four would-be-customers. I'm all for building games of ancient civilzations.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:57 am

Ah thanks Denario :) I hope there are many more of us, they just don't come here and 'report' themselves.

Spearthrower

Postby Spearthrower » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:53 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:Historic America begins with the Discovery of America & goes forward from there.

As in the 1492 discovery?

Or the Turkish discovery?

Or the Vikings discovery?

Or the Bering Straits / East Asian discovery?

:confused:

And they're only the ones we have categorical proof of..... there are countless other potential discoveries.... seems that the Americas have been discovered repeatedly over the last 30,000 years.... now I have lost the occasional sock... but how do you keep misplacing a hoofing great continent like that? :D

I'd only be up for the last one as I much prefer ancient world stuff.... but the ancient cultures didn't build anything!! Well, nothing that lasted (probably skins and wooden frames)! :(

reachrishikh

Postby reachrishikh » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:01 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:India ~ Ick

Meso- or Historic America ~ Yum !!! :) :) :)

Go West

Hey, I resent that!

My response -

America - Double Ick
India - Go East!

Spearthrower wrote:they had massive city states, wars, built major constructions, had castes, a systematic religion and codex, commerce and governmental structures

They HAD? They HAVE!
Okay, the city states have vanished now, but they did so only around 50 or so years ago, and so did the wars (I'm referring tp the internal wars).

Kiya wrote:I hope there are many more of us, they just don't come here and 'report' themselves.

Alright! Private reachrishikh reporting for duty! Ma'am! (Military style salute)
And obviously, it goes without saying, I would be all for a game on my own culture/civilization anyway.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:15 pm

reachrishikh wrote:Alright! Private reachrishikh reporting for duty! Ma'am! (Military style salute)
And obviously, it goes without saying, I would be all for a game on my own culture/civilization anyway.

Thank you, Private Reachrishikh. You are hereby promoted to the Leader of this campaign Go East, Go India - Next in the series of Immortal Cities. :)

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:20 pm

The point being that I want a CB in the Western Hemisphere. Mesoamerica for the old/southern civilizations & Historic America for USofA specific. Together they span the entire timespan & all civilzations.

Specifically Historic America would be the period of Colonization, American Revolution, the Western Expansion, Gold Rush, Various wars, Cowboys & Indians up to & including the Civil War.

These are general themes for a new type of CB. Multiple civilizations & times in one game & you pick your civilization you play. Cowboys or Indians, for example.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:32 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:The point being that I want a CB in the Western Hemisphere. Mesoamerica for the old/southern civilizations & Historic America for USofA specific. Together they span the entire timespan & all civilzations.

Specifically Historic America would be the period of Colonization, American Revolution, the Western Expansion, Gold Rush, Various wars, Cowboys & Indians up to & including the Civil War.

These are general themes for a new type of CB. Multiple civilizations & times in one game & you pick your civilization you play. Cowboys or Indians, for example.

Oh yes, cowboys and Indians. You still want to play that game. :p
But seriously how much building will it be there? Great cities, lavish houses etc during Gold Rush? Sorry but my knowledge about those times is only what I've seen in American movies. And if it would be in CoTN style as so many seem to wish, you cannot really see your Indian fighting since except for a few raiders all of it will happen 'off screen'.

The other CB games have been set in ancient times. If that is going to be the case of next game too, then perhaps Inca Aztec and those cultures?

If you would like to have those and the more modern history (USA), how would that be done and put together? So far we have had the same type of buildings from the very first scenario till the very last one. Yes, they do evolve but the type is the same. If they have different types altogether, what kind of programming task that would be! :eek:

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:54 pm

AOE3 has 8 unique civilizations, Kiya.

Easy

Empire Earth had totally history.

Again ~ Easy

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:59 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:AOE3 has 8 unique civilizations, Kiya.

Easy

Empire Earth had totally history.

Again ~ Easy

Aren't they different ballgames? :eek: ;) :cool:

So far we haven't seen that in CBs, perhaps we will some day. :)

reachrishikh

Postby reachrishikh » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:22 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:The point being that I want a CB in the Western Hemisphere. Mesoamerica for the old/southern civilizations & Historic America for USofA specific. Together they span the entire timespan & all civilzations.

What you are looking for is Age of Empires III - The Warchiefs Expansion. Doesn't matter if its easy or tough, it fits the bill (your requirements) to the T. (I haven't seen much of the game though, I just installed the demo, tried to start it, didn't like the new graphics and gameplay, and got rid of it).

reachrishikh

Postby reachrishikh » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:25 pm

Kiya wrote:Thank you, Private Reachrishikh. You are hereby promoted to the Leader of this campaign Go East, Go India - Next in the series of Immortal Cities. :)

Er.. Shoudn't the game be called Immortal Cities: Children of the Indus/Ganges, or if you want a legacy name - Maharaja?

Return to “The Tilted Mill”