We want a successor to Caesar III!!

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
Torgen

New civilizations

Postby Torgen » Sat May 29, 2004 6:54 pm

How about we go *all* the way back after CotN? Sumeria. :)

Start at the dawn of civilization (in fact,a good name would be "Cradle of Civilization") for the first series of missions, then go to Babylonia, then maybe the Akkadians and finally Xerxes' Persia. :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat May 29, 2004 7:13 pm

The problem with some cultures is that there may not be enough known about them to base a new game on. Otherwise you might just as well create a fantasy game where anything goes.
Keith Heitmann
[url=mailto :d heitm8612@aol.com]dheitm8612@aol.com[/url]
Pharaoh Music Jukebox

Elvenwarrior2001
Location: Central California in a town no one has ever heard of...;)

Postby Elvenwarrior2001 » Sat May 29, 2004 10:56 pm

That's a great idea! Creat a fantasy world called "Urak" and then call it...Lords of Magic 2!

What? You act as though I've suggested that before? I mean...there is a pretty decent and very loyal fanbase for that game still. From the old forums (The Old Inn).

Elven

Bradius

Postby Bradius » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:24 pm

I agree with Keith. On to ROME!!!!

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:40 pm

Hi just found this site. All I can say is WOW! My favourite game is also CaesarIII it's the game that inspired me to learn Latin :) .

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:19 pm

Czech Centurian wrote:Hi just found this site. All I can say is WOW! My favourite game is also CaesarIII it's the game that inspired me to learn Latin :) .

Welcome! Great minds think alike. :D

We can only hope that the developers will relent someday and we will once again witness the rise of Rome.
Keith Heitmann
[url=mailto :d heitm8612@aol.com]dheitm8612@aol.com[/url]
Caesar III Music Player
Caesar III Playthrough Archive

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:35 pm

Czech Centurian wrote:Hi just found this site. All I can say is WOW! My favourite game is also CaesarIII it's the game that inspired me to learn Latin :) .

I had exactly the same thing! C3 really got me interested in the Roman Empire. Welcome.

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:56 pm

Keith wrote:We can only hope that the developers will relent someday and we will once again witness the rise of Rome.

I'd expect that the "CAESAR" city-building franchise is now owned by Activision, since they gobbled up Sierra Studios. And I'd be surprised if any Activision folks are checking this website. Still, Tilted Mill could develop their own Roman City Builder even if they didn't call it Caesar 4. I'm sure, in fact, they must have discussed it.

And, meanwhile, I wouldn't give up hope that Activision will come to the decision to revive the Caesar series on its own. When they acquired Sierra, they also got ownership of Empire Earth, which many of us thought would lie dormant forever. Nope. Activision saw a good game in EE and promptly started developing EE2. Maybe the same thing will happen with C3 --- to date, the best Roman game ever!

Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:51 pm

I dont give a crap about the franchise title, what matters to me is a continuation by the people who made it, if activision made a Caeser it would just be a knockoff of what Impressions did, official licence or not.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:06 am

Gordon Farrell wrote:I'd expect that the "CAESAR" city-building franchise is now owned by Activision, since they gobbled up Sierra Studios. And I'd be surprised if any Activision folks are checking this website. Still, Tilted Mill could develop their own Roman City Builder even if they didn't call it Caesar 4. I'm sure, in fact, they must have discussed it.

And, meanwhile, I wouldn't give up hope that Activision will come to the decision to revive the Caesar series on its own. When they acquired Sierra, they also got ownership of Empire Earth, which many of us thought would lie dormant forever. Nope. Activision saw a good game in EE and promptly started developing EE2. Maybe the same thing will happen with C3 --- to date, the best Roman game ever!

Sierra Studios was a development studio which was probably sold off from Sierra itself. Sierra Studios had nothing to do with the citybuilders. Impressions was the team that developed Caesar III for Sierra. Sierra is closed. The guys that made Caesar III are now Tilted Mill for the most part. Vivendi Uuniversal probably still holds all the rights to Sierra game titles, not Activision. It is not likely that VU will produce any more citybuilders, unless they get Breakaway Games to do another one. Breakaway worked on Cleopatra and Emperor. It doesn't look like that will happen, IMHO.

Nero Would

Postby Nero Would » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:44 am

Keith wrote:The guys that made Caesar III are now Tilted Mill for the most part. Vivendi Uuniversal probably still holds all the rights to Sierra game titles, not Activision. It is not likely that VU will produce any more citybuilders, unless they get Breakaway Games to do another one. Breakaway worked on Cleopatra and Emperor. It doesn't look like that will happen, IMHO.

I agree that it's unlikely that we'll see any more city-builders from VU. But I would be interested to see what Breakaway could do if they were given the opportunity to create their own city-builder. Still, there is no doubt in my mind that Tilted Mill is where we should look to for the successors to the Impressions city-builders.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:58 am

Nero Would wrote:I agree that it's unlikely that we'll see any more city-builders from VU. But I would be interested to see what Breakaway could do if they were given the opportunity to create their own city-builder. Still, there is no doubt in my mind that Tilted Mill is where we should look to for the successors to the Impressions city-builders.

True, BA seems to do more add-on work than original work as of late. They created Cleopatra, came up with Emperor most likely using the Zeus engine, and they produced the Civ3 Conquests add-on last year.

Help us, Obi Wan (re:TM), you're our only hope. :D

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:47 am

I must admit that I've been thinking about how the setup of CotN could fit in Rome's history.

The age of kings can be used as tutorials where the player builds up Rome. The age of the republic can then be used to let the player fight wars, create colonies and rule provinces while during the age of the emperors the player is challenged to become emperor. One can dream...

Wen Kha-Ne

Postby Wen Kha-Ne » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:59 pm

Indeed I love the prospect of another Rome, I have always desired another Citybuilder set in Asia. Emperor didn't really live up to it's potential for some reason, but here is an area that is severely neglected in Historical gaming.

India. It is so simple I am surprised no-one has whipped the concept up already. It has all the components of a CB; powerful religion, trade, war, the city states which can always allow for fun (Emperor and Zeus's campaign map for example?) , it has a rich cultural heritage of all the arts, (even martial arts and the vital component: dancing) it has the whole evolving city approach that is needed in CB games, and it's culture is continuous so you could set it in Egypt's hwyday, through the empire of Macedon, right up to the Mughals and the Persians.

Being the birthplace of so much, and being so vast, why isn't anyone coding it already? I can see a couple of reasons, but it was avoided in Emperor, so what is wrong with it here?

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:13 pm

Quite frankly, I've sort of lost interest in Rome. Though I'd be interested in playing a game that would allow me to tear it apart. :D Besides, there are already 3 Caesar games and only one Pharaoh, one Zeus, and one Emperor.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:32 pm

Well, I think there are quite a few C3 players who didn't play C2. C3 never had an expansion while Zeus and Pharaoh did.

I would be very interested in an Indian citybuilder, since I know very little about India. I just wish that they will return to Rome sometime in the future. :)

Wen Kha-Ne

Postby Wen Kha-Ne » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:33 pm

Oh yes, so do I. Just as long as they don't stay there for a long sip of wine. I needs me ancient cultures! Preferably India

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:14 pm

Yes! India is a terrific idea! I wonder why no one's done it?

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:00 am

Gordon Farrell wrote:Yes! India is a terrific idea! I wonder why no one's done it?

I would suspect that western culture (save for the British) probably know less about the culture and history of India than they do about Rome, Greece, Egypt, China, and just about all of the other major cultures of the past. And, as a result, I just don't think the amount of interest in it is there.

I have to admit I know even less about India than I do about the MesoAmerican cultures of the Inca, Toltecs, Aztecs, and Mayans, and I'm not really interested in a game about them either right now.

They'd probably have to do some major marketing to raise the awareness of India's history culture in the west. They might try that when they have "deeper pockets" than they have at the moment. Since the guys at Tilted Mill are just getting started, the time for something totally new is probably not right just yet.

I would think that for a game to be even marginally successful sales-wise there has to be a large enough core audience interested in purchasing it to start with. Of course, there are us hardcore players that will generally play whatever they put out, but that's a mighty small market.

To paraphrase "Field of Dreams", "Just because you build it, doesn't mean that they will always come." ;)
[url=mailto :d heitm8612@aol.com]Keith Heitmann[/url] a.k.a Nuthin-in-khamun
Listen to the music of the CityBuilders while online:
Caesar III Music Player•Pharaoh Music Jukebox•Zeus Music Jukebox•Emperor's Music Box•Children of the Nile Musicbox•
Children of the Nile & Quiz

Wen Kha-Ne

Postby Wen Kha-Ne » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:01 am

If they provide a eye-catching game box, then anyone interested in this genre will at least consider it. :p

But seriously, I think people should know more about non-Mediterranean (or non-European for that matter) cultures, especially ones with such a long and complex history. India has all the components for a city builder, it even has a completely blue city! What more could one want? :)

Although I see your point about starting off. I am just feeding off hope that India will be included one day. Although I may die of hunger.

Return to “The Tilted Mill”