Are PC gamers doomed?

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
Karter

Are PC gamers doomed?

Postby Karter » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:23 am

I was bored, so thought I would stroll through the new PC game listings at various sites...

in checking...I took note that the last game that the highest rating since February 2006 on a scale of 1-10

rated at 8.3

upon further study it appeared that very few got above 9.0 since early 2005
I had to go all the way back to the early 2000's and late 90's to find numerous 9.0+ ratings
are we to demanding? has it all, already been done? they seem to be the same game just with prettier pictures

I also noted that very few games have even come out for PCer's in the last few years
with the onslaught of PS2,PS3, Xbox360, wii, etc...
I am beginning to fear that PC gamers are being left out in the cold

I find it somewhat unnerving when my actual PC hardware capabilities exceed almost all games on the market
I actually have a car that drives now and no place to go....

I have an XBox that I played a grand total of maybe 5 hours
though it was fine graphic wise and all, I felt somehow alienated

It just seemed that all the PC games I played had forums like this one, where you met people and interacted in a real life situation
where as the playstation gamers just don't have the social interaction (without going to a national convention)

To me PC gamer's seem to have a greater social core...yes, yes, they groan, whine and yell at each other
but usually make up in the end and come out a little better for it

or am I just bigotted?

Is it me? am I missing something?
I know they have things like Xbox Live, but gee another monthly fee, I just don't want to go down that route

or am I just to cheap to be a real gamer enthusiast?
gee, without the original hardcore PC gamer where would the PS3's and Xbox's be today? no where!!!

just feels like PC gamers are being left behind...

or maybe I am just real boring to begin with, or to lazy to embrace the new technologies, or just no longer into games?

oh hum, I am going to go get a cookie.....and find a forum I can whine at
or maybe just struggle through the last Harry Potter book

geee, sure wish they would come out with a new PC game

:(

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:29 am

PC gaming isn't at all doomed; it's simply the case that the console industry is growing faster, that is all. If you compare the game market now compared to the early days of PC games, we have a tremendous amount of variety and we now have sizeable modding communities that greatly extend the life of PC games. Also another thing to note is the growth of PC online games. In South Korea for example, consoles like XBox or PS3 are not popular (although Nintendo DS is gaining popularity) and they don't really get much exposure at all here, but the PC MMORPG game industry is practically booming and the popular "E-Sports" (professional competitive gaming) are all PC games.

Karter

Postby Karter » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:48 am

Azeem wrote:PC gaming isn't at all doomed; it's simply the case that the console industry is growing faster, that is all. If you compare the game market now compared to the early days of PC games, we have a tremendous amount of variety and we now have sizeable modding communities that greatly extend the life of PC games. Also another thing to note is the growth of PC online games. In South Korea for example, consoles like XBox or PS3 are not popular (although Nintendo DS is gaining popularity) and they don't really get much exposure at all here, but the PC MMORPG game industry is practically booming and the popular "E-Sports" (professional competitive gaming) are all PC games.

yeah...I guess so

I have put off playing SWG Star Wars Galaxies for years now, maybe I will try it
I loved the Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy series

the problem with MMO's is that you play and pay....lets say you get bored after 6 months and need a 3-4 month break
you either have to keep paying and not play (to keep character...you worked on)
or cancel account and loose everything you worked so hard for, for months on end
just seems a vicious cycle....

maybe I am just to picky about the types of games I like....
oh well, I guess we will see what the future brings

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:32 am

There are an increasing number of free MMORPGs abroad, however. These games tend to have lower graphics, but still offer decent game play. The money that the companies make from these are mostly from selling certain features that are not necessary to play the game.

Another thing that we should be noting now is that there's been an increase in the number of city-building type games as of late, which is quite surprising as city-building style games were often considered as simply being a niche market in the past. :)

FranR

Postby FranR » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:39 am

Karter wrote:yeah...I guess so

I have put off playing SWG Star Wars Galaxies for years now, maybe I will try it
I loved the Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy series

I played SWG since release and it was great, but after years of changing the complete gameplay around the game turned into a dull copy of WoW going Star Wars. I would not recommend it anymore, honestly it's now a waste of your money. The only part that was still decent is going into space, because they pretty much left that alone.

You'd have more fun with Kotor/2 (knights of the old republic). Of course if you want to try it, sure go for it. I'm just afraid you'll be disappointed.

Also, you don't lose your stuff when you stop playing. Your account will be saved for a long time, so you can safely take a break for a few months. You can also pay on a month basis if you are uncertain how long you'll play. Usually buying for several months is cheaper then on a month basis. This counts for most mmorpg's out there, not just SWG.

just my 2cts

edit: SWG is a prime example of a dumbed down original game to appeal to a larger audience - gone terribly wrong.
Last edited by FranR on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corinthian

Postby Corinthian » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:15 am

I dunno, Karter...in some ways, the PC market is declining, but in others, it is still strong. I mean, look where we are: we have SC:S to look forward to, PC-exclusive (er...isn't it?)

CBs are still best on PC. RPGs, strategies too. Adventure games can be done well on console of PC, same with sports.

I just spent a while going through all my old games, putting them in a CD case, throwing away old jewel cases.

I just flipped through a coupla pages: Settlers 4. Madden 07, Age of Empires I-II. Jedi Academy. SC4, Emperor, Caesar III-IV, Morrowind, Oblivion, Thief 3, CotN...

Overall, the games industry is growing, and while many titles are just going to console, still others are PC-only, others cross platforms. We are not forgotten, and as long as enough people want PC games, developers and publishers will continue to release them.

I'm not down with online gaming, however. I see some cool looking games at the store, but put the boxes down once I see they "require internet connection to play". What's that all about? I sometimes wish publishers/developers would make a single-player mode for those titles, but obviously, there's a lot involved in that (it's not just a checkbox, I imagine).

Freeminder

Postby Freeminder » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:57 pm

Some publishers/developers do put a single player mode in a multi player game but more for training purposes.
The problem with single player is that playing against the computer never matches up to online play. I play Battle field 2142 ( a great game that I'd recommend by the way) and you can do single player matches but it lacks the competitiveness of winning against other people from around the world.

I however starting pondering on this matter a few months ago when i found out that Halo wars which is a RTS for the halo series was to be published only on Xbox 360 and not PC. I can't imagine what made Microsoft decide to only publisher it for the Xbox 360 apart from greed to boost sales of the Xbox 360.

To me this is proof of a decline in competition in the PC gaming market. There isn't any new games out there at the moment that I'd like to buy. The only thing that has caught my eye is Tom Clancy's EndWar which is a step into another direction of RTS where you do not just control units from a brid's eye view but where you yourself are a unit on the ground involved in the battle.

Karter

Postby Karter » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:56 pm

Freeminder wrote:Some publishers/developers do put a single player mode in a multi player game but more for training purposes.
The problem with single player is that playing against the computer never matches up to online play. I play Battle field 2142 ( a great game that I'd recommend by the way) and you can do single player matches but it lacks the competitiveness of winning against other people from around the world.

I however starting pondering on this matter a few months ago when i found out that Halo wars which is a RTS for the halo series was to be published only on Xbox 360 and not PC. I can't imagine what made Microsoft decide to only publisher it for the Xbox 360 apart from greed to boost sales of the Xbox 360.

To me this is proof of a decline in competition in the PC gaming market. There isn't any new games out there at the moment that I'd like to buy. The only thing that has caught my eye is Tom Clancy's EndWar which is a step into another direction of RTS where you do not just control units from a brid's eye view but where you yourself are a unit on the ground involved in the battle.

Many of the players I played my Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy with are/were also Halo, BF and Call of Duty players too
I am not much of a shooter game fan, thats why I liked the StarWars series
dueling with lightsabers is such great fun, challenging and realistic too
and their single player modes were very well put together
Thats when the latest Jedi installment StarWars:The Force Unleashed was only for PS
I was extremely disappointed

Fran wrote:I played SWG since release and it was great, but after years of changing the complete gameplay around the game turned into a dull copy of WoW going Star Wars. I would not recommend it anymore, honestly it's now a waste of your money. The only part that was still decent is going into space, because they pretty much left that alone.

You'd have more fun with Kotor/2 (knights of the old republic). Of course if you want to try it, sure go for it. I'm just afraid you'll be disappointed.

just my 2cts

edit: SWG is a prime example of a dumbed down original game to appeal to a larger audience - gone terribly wrong.

I am trying the Trial Version of SWG now
I have to agree I am not at all impressed...
I tried EverQuest and just couldn't get into that, thats why I didn't try WoW
I don't think I make a very good MMO type candidated

maybe it's just that good game developers are too few and far in-between
and get grabbed up and sucked into the Corporate mold

I still have hopes, that there is a Gamer God still out there, watching out for PCer's
<karter crosses fingers in hopes TM won't devolve>

:)
Last edited by Karter on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 pm

There are more games for the consoles these days indeed, but some popular games are also converted from console to PC as well. Also, while the corporate competition for console gaming is getting intense, the PC gaming side of things has been experiencing a growth of independently-produced games.

killor06

Postby killor06 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:47 pm

well not that it whould be dommed etier way but the new games for windows that will be online can play with xbox 360 users is sure to revive the game experince for some

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:09 pm

The popularity of consoles vary by region also. In Japan, for example, XBox is not popular at all for the simple reasons that Playstation is more familiar and that the console size lieterally is just too big for the average Japanese apartment dweller (it was referred to as being practically a "tea table"). South Korea is a major cyber cafe culture; the only console I've seen advertised more prominently so far is for Nintendo DS.

elebit

Postby elebit » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:58 pm

People move to consoles because buying new graphics cards every new game release is not very feasible. with consoles, you know the game works, with pcs it's not as easy. I really wanted to play sonic riders for pc, I bought it and it wouldn't work. I tried returning it but they wouldn't take it back at all.

I made sure the reqs were met and they were and it turns out it prolly needed pixel shader 1.1 or some crap like that I it wasn't listed on the box. That's why I hate PC gaming it is too hard to keep up with it. Developers are no realizing this and developing for consoles more. Also with pc gaming it's the same old same old, but with the wii it has brought new options and excitement and it got me into games again I lost interest in games for w while since nothing new and crazy was coming out for a while.

I also think that the developers need to be smarter with their programming and use procedural graphics generation like Spore does so that way you don't have to have the best computer to play the game and also with PGG you do not have to have the game take up so much space, thus not needing blue ray discs to hold the game a standard dvd will do nicely. if more programmers would do this the amount of new game possibilities will open and also alot more people would be able to buy your game because they would not have to skip out on it because they couldn't afford to upgrade their pcs to play it. You could in turn make more profits. I hope spore's reqs do not exceed my specs (128MB NV-GF-MX4000 Graphics card 1GB ram AMD 2.2 GHZ CPU and 200GB HD almost full) I would be most thrilled if SCS would work on this and I would buy this game on release date. I do need to get a new comp soon but I cannot afford it now I just moved and I have little money left.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:50 am

It's really the US and European gaming markets that overemphasize upgrades and fancy machines. Some of the most popular games in Korea and the games being developed here typically have much lower requirements than games developed in the US and Europe. Also another difference is the level of accessibility. The more accessible the games, the wider the audience. I think it's partly the "hardcore" mentality that is really diminishing the PC game market in the US. There will always be PC gaming, but as long as trends persist, consoles are going to continue succeeding in gaining larger audiences.

elebit

Postby elebit » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:58 am

That's why you see alot more casual games come out for eaither flash or wii and that is why the wii is doing so good it will have games for everyone. (by will I mean there are not many hardcore wii games out there but there are a few really good ones)(A few grim hardcore ones are due to be released next year and the year after alot of them are still TBD). The wii will be the dominant platform due the the xbox360 tech problems and the ps3's high price and lack of good exclusives and also some tech problems. The {PC market is very bland right now.

Marius

Postby Marius » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:40 am

There are an amazing number of games being developed for the PC by smaller companies ... MMORPS are especially hot ... but a huge number of others as well.

Unfortunately, certain larger companies are pushing most of their work at the silly console market. Understandably the console manufacturers would love to remove hundreds of dollars from your wallet before you play the first game ... and see you replace the console every few years.

These consoles also let the manufacturer control your play, force you to pay monthly subscription fees to play certain games... and generally try to remove as much money from you(or your kids)as possible.

The graphics on a new PC with the right vid card are always lightyears ahead of any console out there ... and a PC can actually do stuff other than play games. It can be upgraded(unlike most consoles) ... and can be controlled for outside access prevention (and through parental controls can prevent young folks from turning into 300 lb blobs without a future)

Besides, historically, most console games are eventually released to the PC platform... that they were originally developed on. The possibility of a few extra bucks ... always pulls GreedyCorp into pushing their game out for PC's a few months to years after sales die off for the console freaks.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:44 am

yup they're all doooooooOOOOoomed :eek: :eek: :D *bumps twice* ;)

elebit

Postby elebit » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:50 pm

Mooooovies were doooomed years ago! moooooooo!

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:41 pm

My own reactions are a) tons of PlayStation and Xbox games for sale or rent at popular stores and computer boutiques, b) PC games still sold at Best Buy, Target, Walmart etc. but not much at boutiques, c) my son likes the ones with online interaction (i'm in ur base killin ur doods), d) my daughter likes Sims2, e) I am absorbed with the online Second Life interaction and building and still proseletyzing building cities with REAL PEOPLE and REAL MONEY in them there, f) so I dunno o.O :)

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:53 pm

Console games are rentable from most movie rental shops
and I think they are easier to 'get' also they generally work better because unlike PCs the 'xbox' for example are all the same and so what works on one should work on them all

also consoles are set up to be able to play games immediately after you hook them to a tv and plug them in

PCs are all different with thousands of different possible configurations so there is no guarantee something will work
Pcs need to be set up and need to be protected ect
but PC games still seem more innovative than console games AND when they do work they play better on the pc imo

elebit

Postby elebit » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:49 pm

Yep you summed it up right there! ;)

Return to “The Tilted Mill”