What's behind the COTN thing?

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:11 pm

it depends on whether they remove the sacrifices and other bloody rituals.

from what I know of the Central American civilizations was that their society revolved around religion and an important part of those religions were certain rituals (they believed the sun wouldn't rise again if not given new life through a sacrifice)
this permeated their society.. even their wars were affected .. they would use blunt weapons to immobilize warriors so they could be captured alive and sacrificed and used padded armors because the enemies did the same.
even their arrows were designed not to kill o_0 :rolleyes:

heck even the Mayans who were once thoguht to be peaceful had a nasty side

if they removed this important part of their society then it is not a game I want to play.. but if they include it they will stir up controversy and probably attract unwanted attention from retarded unnamed politicians and the media.. then again this might make the games sound romantic like that GTA series.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:06 am

I don't see it as any distinct from waging wars in previous CB games. Previous CB games had people killing each other in enemy attacks or banditry. The only difference with the sacrifice aspect is that it is ritualized. The result is still the same - it's still an act of killing.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:02 am

your right

People don't mind armies of people killing each other like in a total war game
but will be up in arms over a single sacrifice or the inclusion of things like slaves.

where as I want them included because they were a part of our past (maybe present to o_0) I don't like the thought of turning a blind eye to things.

Anguille

Postby Anguille » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:42 am

"King Faticus" wrote:your right

People don't mind armies of people killing each other like in a total war game
but will be up in arms over a single sacrifice or the inclusion of things like slaves.

There are slaves in Glory of the Roman Empire and Imperium Romanum...so far i haven't noticed anyone being disturbed by it. It's not that people are in favour of slavery but it's part of the history...i do try to keep them as happy as possible though :D

The big open question is actually the width of sacrifices. It's clear that spaniards have reported many lies in order to justify their actions...and everyone knows that the victors (spaniards and their allies) tell the story. It may well be that the sacrifices didn't have such a proportion as it has been reported. It may even be that sacrifices where done by individuals (making a wound in the hand in order to give blood). It's actually very unluckely that
it was as bloody as in Mel Gibson's movie.

Cheers

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:39 pm

I thought Imperium Romanum was just a re release of Gotre :eek:

Anguille

Postby Anguille » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:47 pm

"King Faticus" wrote:I thought Imperium Romanum was just a re release of Gotre :eek:

Actually it's Gotre II...

If you want to know more about it:

Kalypso Media

Imperium Romanum homepage

Cheers

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:02 pm

Im not sure I liked the original enough to want to buy the second.
but if they have a demo I will try it later.

btw aren't we way offtopic now o_0

Anguille

Postby Anguille » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:04 pm

"King Faticus" wrote:btw aren't we way offtopic now o_0

Yes we are...but you asked! ;)

Cheers

PS: there is a demo where you have access to both tutorials and 2 missions in the "campaign" mode...

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:39 pm

your right lol

well since Im the protagonist I will continue to derail the topic by adding that I read a CNN article a while back that they banned Final Fantasy 7 because the main character was a terrorist o_0 :rolleyes:

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:13 pm

"Anguille" wrote:There are slaves in Glory of the Roman Empire and Imperium Romanum...so far i haven't noticed anyone being disturbed by it. It's not that people are in favour of slavery but it's part of the history...i do try to keep them as happy as possible though :D

The big open question is actually the width of sacrifices. It's clear that spaniards have reported many lies in order to justify their actions...and everyone knows that the victors (spaniards and their allies) tell the story. It may well be that the sacrifices didn't have such a proportion as it has been reported. It may even be that sacrifices where done by individuals (making a wound in the hand in order to give blood). It's actually very unluckely that
it was as bloody as in Mel Gibson's movie.

Cheers

Just for the sake of discussion...

I think the problem with ritual human sacrifice is the mass killing of helpless, unarmed people. This is different (to most people) than killing soldiers in war. It's different than just having slaves. Adding this element to a TM game I think would constitute a major new direction for the company and it's not one I see them taking. Of course, I could be wrong! But notice that in COTN there is NO killing at all on the game map? Only off-screen, in distant battles that you never witness.

As far as exaggerated Spanish accounts go, I'm quite sure that the current archaelogical evidence we have has confirmed those reports. Someone mentioned the Mayans in an earlier post. My understanding is that we now have hard archaelogical proof that even the Mayans had ritual killing pits.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:49 pm

somebody? o_0

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/mayacode/

I watched this just the other day.. it was a good program imo.

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:24 pm

None of it will matter after 12-21-2012. :eek:

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:19 pm

"Gordon Farrell" wrote:Adding this element to a TM game I think would constitute a major new direction for the company and it's not one I see them taking.
Yeah, the idea never struck me as meshing very well with the kind of games TM likes to make.
"Gordon Farrell" wrote:As far as exaggerated Spanish accounts go, I'm quite sure that the current archaelogical evidence we have has confirmed those reports.
I saw a recent show on PBS where archaeologists were shocked to discover that about 40 victims of Aztec human sacrifice they had recently discovered were of European descent, including some women. They were able to deduce that they were part of the group that was sent to arrest Cortez soon after he arrived in Mexico.

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:11 pm

"Rnett" wrote:None of it will matter after 12-21-2012. :eek:

ROFL!!!

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:28 pm

"King Faticus" wrote:somebody? o_0

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/mayacode/

I watched this just the other day.. it was a good program imo.

That's really interesting. Guess History Channel isn't the only channel out there. :)

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:02 pm

"Anguille" wrote:I hope they make some kind of poll to see which culture would be favorites:

My favs are (In order):

- India
- Aztecs
- Japan
- Ancient (Babylon, Persia etc...)

Cheers

It always surprised me neither Impressions or TM did a Medieval City Builder. It seems such a natural.Wide swaths of Europe are left undeveloped after the fall of Rome. You can start your city on vacant land. And it could build up to either the High Middle Ages (Romanesque churches, stone castles, Gothic cathedrals, vast monasteries, great universities, paved roads, etc) or the Renaissance.

Alternately, the Italian Renaissance would make a great era, too. Starting from medieval villages and culminating in St. Peter's Basilica, the Duomo of Florence, the Sistine Chapel, etc.

Anguille

Postby Anguille » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:20 am

"Gordon Farrell" wrote:It always surprised me neither Impressions or TM did a Medieval City Builder. It seems such a natural.Wide swaths of Europe are left undeveloped after the fall of Rome. You can start your city on vacant land. And it could build up to either the High Middle Ages (Romanesque churches, stone castles, Gothic cathedrals, vast monasteries, great universities, paved roads, etc) or the Renaissance.

Alternately, the Italian Renaissance would make a great era, too. Starting from medieval villages and culminating in St. Peter's Basilica, the Duomo of Florence, the Sistine Chapel, etc.

This would be/sound really awesome...great idea...a medieval game with less warfare...why not :)

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:01 am

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:00 am

Looks reliable to me!

Anguille

Postby Anguille » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:15 am

This is great news...however we still have no clue what theme it will be... :(

Return to “The Tilted Mill”