Game idea: Patrol Base management

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
doozerstick

Game idea: Patrol Base management

Postby doozerstick » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:24 am

Yeah I know, everyone has a "brilliant" game idea, but I just thought I'd throw this out there in the event that someone is actually listening.

Since Tilted Mill seems to be big on combining the Stategy and City Building genre's, I think the idea for a "Patrol Base Tycoon" ;) kind of game would be right up their alley. For anyone that doesn't know, a patrol base is a kind of forward operating base that generally a company sized element sets up in oder to conduct patrols and other combat missions from a defended position.

It could follow much the same formula as Mosby's in that you command a small (company sized, like I said) group of soldiers that gain experience and all of that. Success in missions could provide some kind of "Resource Points" that you're awarded by higher up which can be used to add to structures and upgrades to your patrol base. You could build towers to repel attacks on your base, add nicer billiting situations that would improve moral and such, ship in more weapon options, improve walls (sandbags to cement), and add communications and other tents that would provide various bonuses.

When not bulding your base you could accept random missions ranging from simple foot patrols around the direct area in which your base is located, which may not even result in enemy contact, to taking part in massive operations where you are assigned tasks as part of a bigger mission that you see going on around you. There could be air assault missions where helicopters land and take your soldiers to far away locations. All the while you must juggle sleep cycles, tower guard shifts, base maintenance and all the other things that go along with being a company commander.

The setting could be either Iraq or Vietnam, since these are more static wars in which the military could actually build advanced patrol bases.

Having fought from a patrol base in Iraq for year and a half of my life (happily in college now :) ) this might only intrest me and my desire to be in charge instead of just the peon. haha

doozerstick

Postby doozerstick » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:17 am

Another thought, the game could probably be set in ancient Rome and it could be about building an outpost as opposed to a modern patrol base. That would stick with Tilted Mill's comfort zone more, and the combat engine would probably be easier to program than the complicated Close Combat level one that would be required for a succesful game set in modern times.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Mr Mac

Postby Mr Mac » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:55 pm

Definitely agree with both, sounds like a pretty cool idea indeed.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Yep, aren't we just obsessed with Romans. :D

Return to “The Tilted Mill”