Does TM have the rights to...

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
MisterSurreal

Does TM have the rights to...

Postby MisterSurreal » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:46 pm

the Zeus: Master of Olympus IP? I loved that game to death, and its still my favorite of all the City Builder games out there, even including the newest ones.

The interaction with the heroes and gods, the stories in the campaign, the humor, and the vibrant player-made content and community made it tons of fun, and I'd like to see a sequel made. Heck, even a simple remake in a new graphics engine to make is as pretty as Children of the Nile or Caesar IV would satisfy me.

I lost my old copy, so I bought a new copy recently from Wendros, a Scandinavian publisher, but my enjoyment is stymied by the fact that it's impossible to patch it or install my old copy of Poseidon with it.

Anyway, so thats my basic question. I hope Caesar is not the only city-building IP TM got to bring with them.

abana

Postby abana » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Are the patches that you need available here?

http://zeus.heavengames.com/downloads/lister.php?category=patches

MisterSurreal

Postby MisterSurreal » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:22 am

Tried both the UK and the US patch. I got the Medallion Games version published by Wendros. Anyone know which localized patch would work? The games in English so I figured only those two would work. Neither did, unfortunately

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:18 pm

Howdy, MisterSurreal!

Zeus/Poseidion is my favorite Classic Impressions CB game also!

After noticing your thread, I decided it was time to test my Vista Home Premium 64 by trying to install my US Sierra cds on my new silver box. No problems at all & used the HeavenGames links for both patches. No adjustments (compatability/Administrator/whatever) required!

I haven't found a problem with Vista yet, which is interesting, considering the claims that I read...

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:18 pm

Chances of the patches working are going to be slim...since Wendros would be a 3rd party publisher for the old games, they probably don't have patches for the re-distributed copies Wendros publishes.

You could try contacting them. They have contact addresses on their website. http://www.wendros.se/wendros/about_us/contact

Wendros is located in Stockholm, Sweden.

They have a wide assortment of old games including Caesar III & IV, Zeus, Jurassic Park Operation Genesis, Swat 2 & 3, The Thing, Tribes 2, Warcraft battle.net edition, No One Lives Forever 2, Ground Control & GC2, Homeworld & HW2, and maybe a few others from Sierra that I didn't notice. They don't seem to offer a Poseidon add-on.

They also publish a few other "roman games" like Europa Universalis Rome Gold, Praetorian, Grand Ages Rome, Rome Total War Gold, and Imperium Romanum Gold Edition.

The only sad thing is that they don't offer any "buy" links on their website.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:22 am

I totally loved all of those Impression Games Zeus,Poseidon,Pharaoh, Cleopatra. Hooked me on the genre and now that you made me think about it I am going to have to install them again also :)

I would have to second the Zeus remake, The gods should be pleased.
:cool:

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:27 am

I think most people that have played the old series of games would like to see their favorite one redone.

Of course others, want new games based on new cultures. So there's plenty of demand for the dev's to consider.

It all comes down to the money it would take to develope a new ancient city builder and a publisher that has plenty of it. With Sierra gone, they would need a publisher that would want to support a niche game like citybuilders.

New game or remake, I'd support it. I would prefer it not be a digital download though.

tobing

Postby tobing » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Unfortunately the digital download seems to be very modern, and quite common these days.

If you like the old city builders, you might like what I'm doing in my (little) spare time: Villages and Cities is a city builder like the Impressions Games city builders, with a few twists and changes here and there. The game is quite incomplete, but there's a first playable version: http://www.villages-and-cities.de/vac to try out...

@OP: I'm very sure that the rights of the original games are with Activision Blizzard now, because they own Vivendi and thus Sierra, and with it all rights on Caesar, Zeus, Pharaoh, Emperor, Impressions Games City Building Series and similar trademarks.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:33 pm

"Keith" wrote:I think most people that have played the old series of games would like to see their favorite one redone.

I am & no I don't.

Of course others, want new games based on new cultures. So there's plenty of demand for the dev's to consider.

Dat's me!

If I wanna play the old games, I play the old games. I want new games new fresh & different

...I am a walking talking No Clone Zone...

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:20 am

"Tinkerbell" wrote:If I wanna play the old games, I play the old games. I want new games new fresh & different

That's the best part, Old or New, Everything TM touches is always fresh and different.

:D

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:45 pm

"PantherX" wrote:That's the best part, Old or New, Everything TM touches is always fresh and different.

:D

Indeed! However, do-overs, especially in the character of TM, get flamed by the Old People. They want clones, not new fresh different.

We have seen this over & over. TM knows this all too very well.

TM did it correctly with COTN (new name). It was not Pharaoh II, but was still flamed as not Pharaoh.

Then there was C4 & especially SCS. OMG. ;)

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:14 pm

Oh I well remember the flames ;)

MisterSurreal

Postby MisterSurreal » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:17 am

I would most definitely prefer a new game. CotN was brilliant, and a lot of fun. A whole new game about Atlantis, rather than an expansion, would be excellent I think. I've heard a sci-fi game mentioned as well.

The things that really set Zeus apart were these:
--Characters: Greek gods were great for this, and the heroes too. The art was slick and they all had their own personalities, something that the ancestor heroes in Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom fumbled pretty bad.
--Wonders that DID something. The fact that the sanctuaries you built were directly tied to the gods you befriended and actually affected the economy of your city made choosing them mean something, rather than making them simple economy sinks or mission objectives.
--Monsters and heroes: Sort of the same deal. Monsters were problems to solve that were not natural disasters, with their own personality, and heroes had multiple functions, bolstering your army as well as defeating monsters and undertaking quests.

Whatever new CB game TM makes, I think they need to keep these aspects in mind.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:20 pm

"MisterSurreal" wrote:I would most definitely prefer a new game. CotN was brilliant, and a lot of fun. A whole new game about Atlantis, rather than an expansion, would be excellent I think. I've heard a sci-fi game mentioned as well.

The things that really set Zeus apart were these:
--Characters: Greek gods were great for this, and the heroes too. The art was slick and they all had their own personalities, something that the ancestor heroes in Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom fumbled pretty bad.
--Wonders that DID something. The fact that the sanctuaries you built were directly tied to the gods you befriended and actually affected the economy of your city made choosing them mean something, rather than making them simple economy sinks or mission objectives.
--Monsters and heroes: Sort of the same deal. Monsters were problems to solve that were not natural disasters, with their own personality, and heroes had multiple functions, bolstering your army as well as defeating monsters and undertaking quests.

Whatever new CB game TM makes, I think they need to keep these aspects in mind.

Excellent post, MisterSurreal!

You just mentioned the Total Bliss that we get from Zeus/Poseidon! Z/P has character, something so drastically missing from Caesar, Pharaoh & Emperor. COTN also has a bit of character, although nowhere near as much as Z/P. C4, although an excellent game, does not.

I would add Z/P Adventures with colony missions too! Not just a campaign ladder. Yummy!

C4 also does not have the triggered World Map that Zeus & especially COTN have. Emperor kept this from Zeus, which helps that game.

A triggered World Map that we can explore is a must in TM's next CB.

Thank You! :)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Numerobis

Postby Numerobis » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:32 pm

I'm a long time fan of all the Impressions city-builder series. I really can't put my finger on witch I find the best one. If I had to pick I'd say Pharaoh but mainly because Zeus and Emperor were launched in a period where I just didn't have time for computer games. Same can be said for COTN, although now that it got released again I got the chance to play it.

I must say I think the "organic" feel of COTN is brilliant.

Despite owning all the city-building games back in the day, today I only have COTN because it is available online. Being able to access these games online is really great not only for people that want to relive the glory days of these games but also for people that live in less mainstream (for games anyway) countries. I have trouble finding blockbluster releases in Brazil, finding old games is just not possible.

I would love for the whole city-building series to be available for us through Impulse or Steam. The combination of them being available online and being very laptop friendly, assuming they can be made to work in newer windows versions, would probably amount to some interesting sales figures.

As for the next CB. I'm not really one of those that just like the same things over and over. I would love to explore new possilbilities with different cultures. Mayans, Aztecs who knows. Visiting the classical age again or asia wouldn't be bad either, in short it isn't hard to please me.

The more interactive world map of COTN is obviously a bonus in its favor and so is how fluid the game is. If I could pick another feature for future CB games would be to try as hard as you can to provide missions that add to an existing city as opposed to having to restart from scratch everytime.
Last edited by Numerobis on Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:48 pm

Being able to access games online is not great for people like me (live in South Africa - unless delivered by pidgeon?).

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:46 pm

Numerobis

Postby Numerobis » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:41 pm

Indeed that is an option. Although I have bought books from Amazon before while the usual is around 3 weeks delivery I had quite a few cases of more then 3 months delivery.

Sometimes foreign purchases get caught in customs and then there is no telling how long it takes for them to let it go through.

It really isn't the same thing as purchasing something on say, Steam and being able to play in a few hours.

Return to “The Tilted Mill”