Request for orientation

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
abana

Postby abana » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:35 am

I really recommend Caesar 3, I don't know anywhere that you can get a demo, but you can usually get it at ebay, often for a couple dollars. If you don't get the Sod Out Software version, there is a demo on it for Pharaoh, another great game.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:25 am

"abana" wrote:I really recommend Caesar 3, I don't know anywhere that you can get a demo, but you can usually get it at ebay, often for a couple dollars. If you don't get the Sod Out Software version, there is a demo on it for Pharaoh, another great game.

I just finished downloading and installing the Demo version of Zeus. I really wanted the Poseidon game but I understand it is not stand-alone. It requires Zeus as a base. My main reason for choosing it was the Atlantis locale. Now it looks like there is no demo version of Poseidon.

I would really like to find a game based on the Minoan Era with a possible tie in to Atlantis. Plato really should have gotten his dates straight. He dates Atlantis long before the Minoan time. There is a theory that in translating his original words, a decimal point wound up in the wrong place. If someone could just figure out where the Pillars of Hercules really were, back in Plato's time, there might be some chance of proving or disproving that Atlantis really existed. I don't believe that Plato invented it but I do think he based his story on a myth. In any case it makes for a fascinating story and would make a great game.
Last edited by Norm35 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

abana

Postby abana » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:31 am

Most of these games are part of an evolution. From what I have seen, it is difficult to go backward in the evolution. That is why I suggested to try c3, it would also give you a taste of Pharaoh. I don't think that you would need to be by any means an expert at any of the earlier games, but without a working knowledge of them, I think that it would be especially difficult to learn them if you have already grown accustomed to the later games. For instance, in Pharaoh, you have roadblocks to help control walkers, c3 doesn't have them.

It is more difficult(though by no means impossible) to learn to control the walkers in c3 when you are used to using that tool. If, of course, you have no interest in the earlier games, you would be wasting your time and money if you try them. The Minoan Era does indeed sound interesting.

My personal dream games would be set in Pre-historic cultures. Mississippian, Mayan, Iroquois, with them you wouldn't be spending most of your efforts in building, although they did a lot of that, I think that you would be putting more effort into managing the social structure. What happens when your mattrilineal society has to deal with a matrilineal one, eventually there would also be a couple emerging from them, how do you handle that? What do you do when a group of hunter gatherers, start living on your land when you are an agricultural society, do you go to war, or do you try and negotiate?

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:43 am

If you find you like Zeus, there is a chance you may be able to find package called Biggest Creators of Empires and that will include Zeus, Poseidon, Pharaoh, Cleopatra, Caesar III, and Emperor. It's hard to find but there may be copies of it out there.

An earlier package called Great Empires Collection 2, has Caesar III, Pharaoh, Cleopatra, Zeus, and Poseidon. I actually found some copies of it available on Amazon. One of the listing is asking an outrageous amount for it, $163! But there are other copies available for less.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:35 pm

I think we are moving far too fast here.

My current interest in games is casual. I have no plans to learn everything about it nor to make a large investment in it. What it might grow into, I don't know but for now let's take smaller steps..

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:15 pm

I just pointed those two collections out, because they contain Zeus and Poseidon.

Now that they are becoming quite rare people are capitalizing on that fact and charging way more than it originally cost. Time was you could buy either of those two combination packages for about $30, which is not bad for 4 full games and 2 add-ons.

I was surprised to see copies of GEC2 listed on Amazon. It just goes to show you that there copies out there people are willing to part with, you just have to find them.

abana

Postby abana » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:24 pm

I saw Great Empires II at ebay for $20

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Excuse my knee jerk reaction. I mistook your exclamation point for a "1".

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:02 pm

"abana" wrote:I saw Great Empires II at ebay for $20

I just don't trust items, especially software bought off of eBay. There have beem too many cases where you get pirated copies or copies in a language other than english. So you really have to check it out thoroughly before you buy from there. But $20 is a good price if the copy they are selling is legit.

abana

Postby abana » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:06 pm

I have often bougt through ebay, I know that the language is right, How can I be sure that it's not pitated? Is just the fact that it has the Sierra/Impressions logo enough?

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:26 am

Easy, demand the complete box and manual in like new condition or do not buy it.

I have only had 1 problem with a pirate DVD. I complained and the seller issued a 100% refund and claimed it was a mistake. I did give a bad report, but the company had less than 1% bad reports with 1000's overall so that's nothing as far as I am concerned. I have not bought from them again but I might if the right collection popped up :D

And having the logo or stock images on a website is not proof of anything other than being able to find images on the web. :)
Always be wary, look for lots of reviews.
:cool:

abana

Postby abana » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:45 am

Well, these have fullfilled those conditions, but I will make sure of it in the future.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:18 am

With the new disc copying machines that can print labels out there you have to be careful that even if it comes with a authentic looking label printed right on the disc itself you cannot be certain it is not just a copy. Having the original box and manuals that look professionally printed are a good sign.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:25 am

"Keith" wrote:With the new disc copying machines that can print labels out there you have to be careful that even if it comes with a authentic looking label printed right on the disc itself you cannot be certain it is not just a copy. Having the original box and manuals that look professionally printed are a good sign.

How safe is it to buy from Amazon's marketplace?

These items are not being bought directly from Amazon, who takes no responsibility if you are dissatisfied.
I guess if they get enough complaints, they kick the vendor off the marketplace.

Have forum members had success in buying here?
Last edited by Norm35 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:00 am

I've purchased many items over the years from the Amazon affiliates and any problems can be reported Amazon. I have not had a problem with any of the affiliated sellers to date.

My latest purchase, my new DVD burner, came from an affiliate seller called "Beach Camera" and it arrived in matter of days via FedEx. They sent along a return form in case the unit had a problem. Not all of the sellers do that but most guarantee returns for a set period of time. You have to check the return policy of the seller you are buying from. A link to that policy is listed with that seller's general information on Amazon.

Before buying from a affliate, read the customer reviews for that seller. There is also information on where each seller ships from, and their return policy. Here's the info on the "new" copies of Great Empires Collection 2 being sold by affiliates. Used copies are also available.

Amazon's A-to-Z-Buying Guarantee (read their full policy by clicking on the link):

"We want you to buy with confidence anytime you purchase products on the Amazon.com website or use Amazon Payments. That is why we guarantee purchases from Amazon Marketplace and Merchant sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.com website or when you use Amazon Payments for qualified purchases on third party websites. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee."In short, I consider buying through Amazon's Marketplace immensely more reliable and safe over buying something off of eBay.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:45 am

I would have a lot of confidence in a recommendation from a long time forum member.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:39 am

I've been here since the forum opened 5-6 years ago. I've never had a bad experience ordering through Amazon's Marketplace. I don't even think twice about it anymore.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:50 am

I'm convinced.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:03 pm

I order through Amazon Marketplace all the time for books and games, never had an issue. I bought the SCS Box there for about $13.00 (brand new, factory sealed packaging) also City Life 2008 for around $11.00; again brand new, factory sealed packaging.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:36 pm

Here also, Amazon is much safer then Ebay. All sellers must handle disputes or they become non gratis.
:cool:

Return to “The Tilted Mill”