Gamer benchmark

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
Norm35

Gamer benchmark

Postby Norm35 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:25 pm

I am not at all sure what shape my computer is in for playing games.

Is there a practical way of giving it a quick performance check. What I have in mind is running some standardized program and comparing results to some standard on a scale of poor through very good, compared to a composite of other gamer computers. I am not interested in getting a high precision measurement, just a rough idea of how it compares to computers that are typically used for running games.

abana

Postby abana » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:27 pm

I would post you dxdiag in the tech forum, do you know yow to get it?

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:19 pm

One of the latest benchmarking tools is built for using crysis. The tool is here http://downloads.guru3d.com/Crysis-Benchmark-Tool-1.05-Final-download-1791.html and you can get the demo here from a trusted source. http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_crysis_downloads.html

If you search google for Benchmarking you should find many tools along with user results.

Posting your DxDiag will give the techies some idea of your system. You can always presume that to play the latest games you pretty much need the latest hardware if you want to experience all the eye-candy they have to offer.

Good luck!
:cool:

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:45 am

"abana" wrote:I would post you dxdiag in the tech forum, do you know yow to get it?

I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with dxdiag.

Can you point me to something that I can read on it before I try to download from you?

Thanks

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:48 am

"PantherX" wrote:One of the latest benchmarking tools is built for using crysis. The tool is here http://downloads.guru3d.com/Crysis-Benchmark-Tool-1.05-Final-download-1791.html and you can get the demo here from a trusted source. http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_crysis_downloads.html

If you search google for Benchmarking you should find many tools along with user results.

Posting your DxDiag will give the techies some idea of your system. You can always presume that to play the latest games you pretty much need the latest hardware if you want to experience all the eye-candy they have to offer.

Good luck!

I looked at the sites you sent me links to but at the moment I am not sure I know enough to comment. I will study the sites and see if I can reach a point where I know what I am dealing with there.

Thanks.

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:12 pm

"Norm35" wrote:I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with dxdiag.

Can you point me to something that I can read on it before I try to download from you?

Thanks

Try the tech area of the forum.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:01 pm

Typing dxdiag into Run should bring it up.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:19 pm

"abana" wrote:I would post you dxdiag in the tech forum, do you know yow to get it?

OK. I have located information on dxdiag. This is a comprehensive source of information on the system. Looks like a bit of overkill though, all you never wanted to know about your system and more!

I see there is a Trojan by the same name.

I ran the video tests and the bouncing block and spinning cube appeared OK. My next question is how does the stress of those tests compare with the stress SCS places on the system? That is the kind of thing I am looking for though.
Last edited by Norm35 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:21 pm

"Czech Centurian" wrote:Typing dxdiag into Run should bring it up.

Thanks

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:39 pm

"Rnett" wrote:Try the tech area of the forum.

Thanks.

This area doesn't seem to get used much lately. The most recent posting I found was from 2007.

I did find a posting about the possibility of a memory leak. Did they ever solve that problem? That is the kind of thing that would grow worse the longer you played the game and finally cause a crash.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:02 pm

DXdiag does not stress test your system, it just checks to see if everything is running normally and reports on it. It also lists your hardware and driver versions.

While your running DXdiag and after you do all the tests you can save the report. Post it here or in the tech forum and people can tell you what your machine is like and how you can expect it to run most games.
:cool:

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:42 pm

There are tons of benchmarking programs out there. Just do a google search on benchmarking applications and see what I mean. Some test individual pieces of hardware, while others test the entire system.

A pair of testers that I have used myself in the past were 3DMark and AquaMark. These are quite old nowadays and probably not a good choice for the current day computers which are much faster and more powerful than those from 2004 and earlier. There are a number of benchmarking programs you buy, but that's probably not what you are looking for.

Just for the heck of it I did a quick search and came upon a program from PassMark and downloaded it. While you can pay to register it and probably get more info and function from the software that way, the free 11MB download setups a test program on your system that seems to do a respectable job of testing the system from the CPU, 2D and 3D graphics, and Memory, Disk, and CD.

You can grab the program here:

http://www.passmark.com/download/pt_download.htm

I installed and ran the 32-bit tester on my 6 year old computer for a quick a dirty tryout. The images below are from that program.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks for the link Keith.

I downloaded the program and ran it against my computer.

I didn't compare well against modern day computers so I compared it against yours. They were comparable except for the 3D graphics where mine fell down badly.

My video card is a RADEON X300. I didn't think it was that bad.

What kind of card are you using?

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:30 am

I currently have a EVGA brand Geforce 7600GS w/256MB installed. I originally had a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro for the first four years, but just as my extended warranty was about to expire my ATI died suddenly and Dell replaced it with this nVidia card.

Since this card is about 4 years newer than my trusty old ATI it does run faster and smoother than my older 128MB card. I can run Caesar IV with shadows on with the 7600GS, something I couldn't do with my old 9800 Pro.

Both cards are the old AGP 8X type.

There are two other Pentium 4 3ghz systems listed in their benchmark comparison list. Mine system compares closely to the baseline system and not quite as good as the other. I have no complaints. I might have improved my score a bit more if I had bothered to shut down some of the processes running on my system that are necessary for Windows.

Another thing you can do, is check your computer on a online site to see if it will be able to run a specific game. System Requirements Lab has a webpage setup where you can test your computer to see if it meets the requirements of some game you may be interested in and it will tell you what parts of your system pass or fail.

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

The images below are from the test I ran on my system for Caesar IV.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:45 am

don't watch that graphics test unless you have a steady stomach LOL

478 for mine, but I need upgrades for the games I prefer

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:45 am

"Keith" wrote:I currently have a EVGA brand Geforce 7600GS w/256MB installed. I originally had a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro for the first four years, but just as my extended warranty was about to expire my ATI died suddenly and Dell replaced it with this nVidia card.

Since this card is about 4 years newer than my trusty old ATI it does run faster and smoother than my older 128MB card. I can run Caesar IV with shadows on with the 7600GS, something I couldn't do with my old 9800 Pro.

Both cards are the old AGP 8X type.

There are two other Pentium 4 3ghz systems listed in their benchmark comparison list. Mine system compares closely to the baseline system and not quite as good as the other. I have no complaints. I might have improved my score a bit more if I had bothered to shut down some of the processes running on my system that are necessary for Windows.

Another thing you can do, is check your computer on a online site to see if it will be able to run a specific game. System Requirements Lab has a webpage setup where you can test your computer to see if it meets the requirements of some game you may be interested in and it will tell you what parts of your system pass or fail.

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

The images below are from the test I ran on my system for Caesar IV.

Thanks a lot for the information and the link.

I tried the site out and passed their test. They did not comment on my video card beyond saying I passed. I am not sure what to think about how poorly it did on the Passmark test.

While I have you online (I think) where is a safe place to download demo games from?

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:33 am

Don't take offense, but the Radeon X300 is a entry level graphics card. It's on the low end of their X300 to X1950 series of cards from a few years ago. It is fine fo apps and some simple games but it's not intended for games that require any heavy duty rendering.

A relatively inexpensive but powerful upgrade between $50 and $100 would be a Radeon X1650. Or you could opt for a nVidia Geforce 7600 GS card, like the one I have. Mine is a EVGA brand nVidia based Geforce 7600GS w/256MB. Newegg has a BFG version of that card.

With any new video card you have to make sure that it doesn't draw more than your systemps internal power supply can handle. The 7600 requires a system with a 350W internal power supply.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:08 am

In addition to Keith's site, http://www.yougamers.com hosts a similar testing application. I slightly prefer that one :)

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:02 pm

"EmperorJay" wrote:In addition to Keith's site, http://www.yougamers.com hosts a similar testing application. I slightly prefer that one :)

I tried your suggested benchmark site.

Pure confusion! No results!

Can you guide me?

Return to “The Tilted Mill”