No Contest

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:41 pm

COTN hands down :D

Caesar IV is a close 2nd for me!
:cool:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:11 pm

"PantherX" wrote:Caesar IV is a close 2nd for me!

Absolutely!

thechris

Postby thechris » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:44 am

im a lone NOer LOL

hehe COTN is a second for me, i like the interaction with other players

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:33 am

Children of the Nile, even I liked all of them.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:54 am

CoTN, but C4 is extremely close.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:06 pm

TM games in correct order

1) COTN Alexandria XPac
2) COTN

<gap>

3)C4

<HUGE gap>

4) Hinterland Orc Lords XPac
5) Hinterland

<gap cuz not enough put into Mosby's (it was a rushed then abandoned before it was even released unsupported TM game afterthought) it would be higher than Hinterland easily>

6) Mosby's

<gap>

7) SCS Destinations Expansion (I am not a modder disclaimer ~ don't give a damn about modding)
8) SCS

This leaves Nile Online (COTN II). I don't know where to place this yet. It could be 2.5 if fixed, but today exists as 6.5 & getting worse by the minute. :(
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

deano

nile

Postby deano » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:40 am

Nile Online gets my #1 and it rules

mad_genius

Postby mad_genius » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Children of the Nile is the best.

The graphics engine is very good It gives good image quality without requiring a powerfull computer.

The economic simulation is good as well the social simulation with the ability of
families to climb up the social ladder and change their professions.

The maps have a reasonable size, although I would like them to be bigger. :rolleyes:

Caesar IV comes in second. The graphics engine is heavier than CotN and the maps are a little to small for my taste. ;)

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:24 pm

"mad_genius" wrote:Children of the Nile is the best.

The graphics engine is very good It gives good image quality without requiring a powerfull computer.

The economic simulation is good as well the social simulation with the ability of
families to climb up the social ladder and change their professions.

The maps have a reasonable size, although I would like them to be bigger. :rolleyes:

Caesar IV comes in second. The graphics engine is heavier than CotN and the maps are a little to small for my taste. ;)

Yeah, Caesar IV doesn't feel like you are as all-powerful as you are in CotN, even though CotN's graphics are arguably not as advanced.

Jacquou Le

Postby Jacquou Le » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:00 am

I voted for CotN :)

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:56 pm

for me SCS. If it wasn't for SCS i don't even think i wouldn't of knew tilted mill existed.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:13 pm

"pcgamer2" wrote:for me SCS. If it wasn't for SCS i don't even think i wouldn't of knew tilted mill existed.

Indeed. SCS/Destinations widened the TM fan base. It is not my cup of tea, but a very good game.

meowsh

Postby meowsh » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:33 pm

CotN definitely, I've played it the most.
But Caesar IV is pretty close too!

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:47 pm

CotN. Number 1 not only from TM but of all games I own :) Would love to see it enhanced again or the engine used in another setting (like south american or asian).

Nile online was fine, though it has it's flaws. But it kept me hooked over a year, which is pretty good for an OBG, I think. Sadly I was finished with nothing left to do, or else I would have played even longer, but no "replay factor" for me.

Caesar IV is a good game on it's own, but in comparison to CotN it is lacking. Rome is overdone, too.

Hinterland was fine for some nice quick game sessions, but after beta I never touched it again. Probably played it too much... I'm not a fan of pure hack&slay like diabolo, and the townbulding is not complex enough for my tastes.

Never played Mosby. Just not my theme.

Sim City Societies is a really nice game, but after a while it was the same over and over. I guess SCS Destinations and all the mods did make this way better, but by the time I was done with the game. Maybe I should give it a second try someday.

Oh, no ranking meant with the order here.

BTW anyone else noticing a trend with the latest games here? :(

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:45 am

Tie between SCS and CotN for me.

CotN became a time-consumer right from the start since it simply was so different from everything else and it was a real "society builder" where your citizens actually mattered. It ain't about number crunching or arbitrary rules, but just "sculpting" something from scratch.

SCS kind of grew on me as evidenced in the mods I've been churning out lately ;) ; out of the box, SCS has its problems, but its premise of creating a complex society with a wide variety of interactions within a little microcosm is highly innovative, and in my opinion well ahead of its time. Its relative moddability is what really makes it a genuine hobby. :)

Hinterlands is fun, but it's just for a quick session of slaughtering monsters and bandits mercilessly to let out steam.

Caesar IV is OK (and arguably has the best graphics and background music of all the TM games), but Rome is just not my cup of tea. Still, the gladiator going "Stayin' Alive" is pretty fun once in a while. :D

As for Nile Online, I'm not that much into browser games as I used to be. They get dull after a while; it's only fun the first two months or so.
Last edited by Azeem on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

goonsquad

Postby goonsquad » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:18 pm

It's probably fair and reasonable that CotN should get this vote, as it was TM's baby from the start. C4 (which desperately needed and still needs another patch which will never be made) and SCS were made to the specifications of larger game companies. Nile Online is basically not much different, apart from the setting, to a dozen other browser games out there. Hinterland was a good idea but not really in the league of larger, similar games, and Mosby was turn-based, which leaves me cold, and also the subject matter has a rather narrow appeal.

So even though I found CotN terribly slow, I'm happy that it wins this vote.

StijnDP

Postby StijnDP » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:54 am

+1 CotN

I've been buying all TM's games just so we could get a Pharaoh with current gen graphics. CotN feels ok but it can't even touch the epicness of building a city in Pharaoh. It has some depth but it's not deep enough to give difficulty and it's far from wide enough to give it greatness.

Pleeeeeaaaase TM find a way to buy those rights or call it something else. I want 100x100km maps, 1mil habitants with the deep structure from CotN, about 20different end products for the highest level housing with +100 different resources at the other levels to make end products and buildings and a lot of trade for the resources your city doesn't have.

This gamer is missing the epic citybuilding games we had in 1995-2005. Pharaoh, Sim City, Capitalism, Industry Giant, Transport Tycoon, ...
I still install those games today but with current technology they could become so much more epic. A lot of them need tweaking with installing, some don't work anymore and all of them start "feeling" bad on current screens.

Right now your games are only getting smaller and smaller CotN > Hinterlands > Mosby > CotN online :(
But I'll still buy them in the pathetic hope that the new generations of today can meet the masters of city building games. Look at how popular Anno and Settlers is today, it's still possible ^^

But I would also be glad if you could find a way to get rights to Pharaoh, Zeus, Emporer, ... and polish them up a bit to release them on Steam :)

tobing

Postby tobing » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 am

Caesar III has just appeared on gog.com, during a deal they made with Activision. There is hope that they also might have Pharaoh in near future (at least I hope they do).

Some of the games you mention have freeware implementations working, like Widelands for Settlers 2, or SimuTrans for Transport Tycoon. SimuTrans is epic by all means, starting with gigantic maps to build on.

Return to “The Tilted Mill”