PM's

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
Czech Centurian

PM's

Postby Czech Centurian » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:05 am

Whats the rules of PM'ing because I think the bots are starting to intrude in my Private messages. :(

I could post the message here maybe? I know other people got it too.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:34 pm

That kind of sucks, not sure if you can do anything about it other than block the specific user.
:cool:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Same here. I just had a spam advertising PM with at least 4 other recipients. I suspect a lot more people are going to get these today as I see the sender's online status is currently "Private Messaging".

TheGoktor

Postby TheGoktor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:17 pm

"Ivy" wrote:Same here. I just had a spam advertising PM with at least 4 other recipients. I suspect a lot more people are going to get these today as I see the sender's online status is currently "Private Messaging".

Me too - I've just got one asking me to share software. :rolleyes:

blitz100

Postby blitz100 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:35 pm

I got a PM too and I turned the PM option off when I created my account here.

angelisis

Postby angelisis » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:20 am

i never hear from you lot and then when i see a lil msg in my inbox from "someone" i get all excited but what do ya know it is spam crap he even took the liberty of signing off with a kiss you??
so mr ValeryCit
consider yourself dobbed on

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:16 am

Angelisis got spammed

...now dat's entertainment...lol...

:D

chucklesII

Postby chucklesII » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:32 pm

I took the liberty to forward the SPAM to both Jeff Fiske & Keith along with my reply and the message stating that ValeryCit's inbox was full.

Just another reason there should be more moderators on board.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Right now, moderators don't have any powers over personal PMs. Maybe Jeff has, I know I don't other than deleting the offending spam from my own inbox.

Hopefully Jeff can come up with a filter for the board in regards to PMs, or perhaps some sort of hourly limit on the number of PMs allowed. It's annoying, I know.

Jacquou Le

Postby Jacquou Le » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:20 pm

I've just gotten a spam today, too :D

Antikuity

Aye, spam received, too

Postby Antikuity » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:29 am

Count this simple woman in as she received one yesterday. Googled to see that there is a program like the one mentioned and also found that the sender's box was full. It was sent to three others asides mineself as listed on my PM received.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:46 am

I would suggest that you never goto the spammers website. Especially never, never click the spammers link. All that does is validate their time programming the bot and makes spamming work (which it does unfortunately).

Merepatra

Postby Merepatra » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:46 am

I got one too, probably most of the registered members did. One nice thing is that it made me check out this site again as I haven't thought of it in a while and the mail about the PM made me come here.

I know one way that some other sites deal with spam PM's is to disallow PM's until a member has made a minimum number of other posts or been a member a set amount of time.

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi Mere.

chucklesII

Postby chucklesII » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:43 pm

"Merepatra" wrote:I got one too, probably most of the registered members did. One nice thing is that it made me check out this site again as I haven't thought of it in a while and the mail about the PM made me come here.

I know one way that some other sites deal with spam PM's is to disallow PM's until a member has made a minimum number of other posts or been a member a set amount of time.

That is one way to deal with the problem because as Keith stated there is no way to filter PM's.

However, most if not all forums disallow the practice of spamming and the offense receive an INSTABAN. Keith SHOULD have this ability. That being said, he should also NOT be alone or one of only two staff.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:18 pm

I'd be happy to have such a power and be able to crush spammers as soon as they pop up, but that is for TM to decide.

The problem with the minimum number of safe posts requirement is that they'd soon have their bots producing more of those inoccuous "Hey I'm New Here" posts like they are doing in the Caesar IV Community Support forum. I believe they have already programmed their bots to establish "safe accounts" months in advance before the account is switched over to spamming.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:03 pm

"Keith" wrote:I believe they have already programmed their bots to establish "safe accounts" months in advance before the account is switched over to spamming.

I bet your correct, can you see who is sending these spams and when they registered? I believe i got one or two also but I delete and forget so fast I can not really say for sure. :p

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:48 pm

Their registration/join information is available in their user "statistics". Many of the names they use give them away, and most of the seem to come from a limited pool of IP addresses. But, all I can do is observe since I don't have the ability to kill their account.

I've even taken to searching the web with Google for matches to entire sentences in suspect yet seemingly innocent posts. It's how I uncovered all those "Hey I'm New" posts. I found exact matches for them all over the web on other boards.

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 pm

"She/it/Bot" has been banned.

Anyone who sends spam in any way shape or form will suffer the same fate.

At this point the best thing to do when you get spam in your PM account is to post a new thread. Others can see that it has effectively been reported and the user will be banned. (Not ideal, but hopefully it will work.)

Thanks,
Jeff

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Good. :D

Return to “The Tilted Mill”