PM's

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
mouse

Postby mouse » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi Mere and thanks Jeff :D
Like others I was a victim of the spammer.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:51 am

"Jeff Fiske" wrote:"She/it/Bot" has been banned.

Anyone who sends spam in any way shape or form will suffer the same fate.

At this point the best thing to do when you get spam in your PM account is to post a new thread. Others can see that it has effectively been reported and the user will be banned. (Not ideal, but hopefully it will work.)

Thanks,
Jeff

It's alive :eek:

Good to see your on top of it Jeff!

Happy New Year TM!

:cool:
:cool:

Homeworld'sa

Postby Homeworld'sa » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:49 pm

The best way to prevent spam is to stop them from even registering in the first place. If they are registering, then you should add modifications to the forum to stop them

reCAPTCHA and the built in stuff doesn't work. Try out a few mods from vBulletin.org, they have good mods for stopping the spammers.

EDIT: Just noticed this spambot didn't get killed: http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/member.php?u=17432
Last edited by Homeworld'sa on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:50 am

How do I turn them off, Im sick of getting spammed through the PM system here.

Nevermind, I've turned off all private messaging from this forum to stop getting the spams in my real life inbox now. So this should solve the problem for me since I don't have the need to have a PM box on this site anymore.
Last edited by Kuplo on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:34 pm

"Kuplo" wrote:How do I turn them off, Im sick of getting spammed through the PM system here.

Nevermind, I've turned off all private messaging from this forum to stop getting the spams in my real life inbox now. So this should solve the problem for me since I don't have the need to have a PM box on this site anymore.

If you must, just turn off your email notification. You don't need to turn off PMs totally.

~ ~ ~

I think people are over-reacting just a bit in this thread. How many did you get? One?

Easy to delete the one PM.

...if you give up your freedom for a bit of security, then the terrorists win...

The Sky is NOT Falling. Please...

:)

EDIT: By the way, they are not bots. They are real humans. Might even be just one. It is obvious from the way the posts go.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:25 am, edited 5 times in total.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:58 pm

It depends on the person getting the spam don't you think in regards to how annoying it is.

Personally, I've received no less than 5 in the past year, now while 5 is not a lot, for some people that enjoy having a spam free inbox, that's 5 too many.

I'd disagree, I think those are very likely bots as the content of them is very much like that of bots that I've seen before.

On our own forums, we have measures in place that check the newly registered user against a known forum database of spammers, if their IP address, Name or Email shows up in the spammers database it halts the registration right there and makes it require manual approval of the account, since implementing that our forum shave remained relatively spam free. I'd suggest that TM go that route too before spammers start to dump adult content onto the forum. Once they get started they can easily dump hundreds of spam ****o messages in just moments which just looks terrible for the company that owns the forum when they can't get to removing the ****o in a timely amount of time.

Return to “The Tilted Mill”