Tilted Mill Games for iPad

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
Yixian

Tilted Mill Games for iPad

Postby Yixian » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a huge fan of the Impressions/Tilted Mill city builder games, they really are some of the most intellectually satisfying and engrossing games around. As far as I'm concerned there has never been another city builder that comes close to this series.

The iPad will be out soon and the App Store offers a good platform to distribute games on a widescale to users who might never have tried these kinds of games before. In my opinion the iPad too is the ideal platform for city builders - the large touchscreen could not lend itself more to the genre.

I was wondering what the possibilities would be for Caesar III and Pharaoh etc. being ported to the iPad?

Perhaps even in a big combo pack?

I really hope you guys will entertain the idea, I'm sure there would be a great response!

Solice

Postby Solice » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:25 am

"Yixian" wrote:Hey guys,

I'm a huge fan of the Impressions/Tilted Mill city builder games, they really are some of the most intellectually satisfying and engrossing games around. As far as I'm concerned there has never been another city builder that comes close to this series.

The iPad will be out soon and the App Store offers a good platform to distribute games on a widescale to users who might never have tried these kinds of games before. In my opinion the iPad too is the ideal platform for city builders - the large touchscreen could not lend itself more to the genre.

I was wondering what the possibilities would be for Caesar III and Pharaoh etc. being ported to the iPad?

Perhaps even in a big combo pack?

I really hope you guys will entertain the idea, I'm sure there would be a great response!

I still say that device sounds like a feminine hygiene product

kartong

Postby kartong » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:05 am

"Solice" wrote:I still say that device sounds like a feminine hygiene product

Nile Online sounds like the Egyptian version of AOL.

I think my comment is about as relevant as yours tbh.
Last edited by kartong on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yixian

Postby Yixian » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:56 am

"kartong" wrote:Nile Online sounds like the Egyptian version of AOL.

I think my comment is about as relevant as yours tbh.

Agreed.

I think it's safe to say that Caesar/Pharaoh etc. would all work very well on the iPad and the market for the genre is there on the App Store - it just depends on the priorities of Tilted Mill and I doubt my thread alone is going to convince them to start developing it if they haven't considered it already :(

But my fingers are crossed that by some coincidence they actually have considered it and will announce it today xD

Homeworld'sa

Postby Homeworld'sa » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:12 am

With Sierra no longer in business and Tilted Mill's staff so few, I doubt this is a priority, since TM is using all their money to host the site and keep the company existing.

Yixian

Postby Yixian » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:11 pm

I have no idea how much work it would take to port the control scheme from the PC to iPad, but the cost-of-entry for the App Store is low and the market is there. Jumping on board the iPad in it's early weeks would be a free boost for a game's publicity.

Caesar III, Pharaoh and Zeus don't have to be changed to appeal to the modern gamer, their graphics are still beautiful, the games are still more advanced than most city builders out there.

Perhaps this could provide a relatively easy and quick boost for TM?

I am a close follower of Revolution Software, makers of the retro 2D adventure series Broken Sword - after years of poor adventure game sales they've had a lot of success on the App Store and are themselves working on an iPad release.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:58 pm

I have to say I think that is an excellent idea!

Touch screen would be sweet for a CB. I am thinking there could even be a few new features that could be done with dual-touch.

TM, Are you there?

Oh how cool would it be to be able to lay out your armies formations with finger sweeps.
:cool:

RemixedCat

Postby RemixedCat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:16 am

ipad is way too restrictive and does not have an OS that can multitask.

apple also requires all apps to be sold through the apple store, making tmaill pay alot and loose a ton of money paid to apple for royalties. also they make it so you cannot sell that app on other stores.

I worked with a client and they said that apple made them pull thier app from a nokia app site or they would loose lots of money. they said a big FU to apple and have never looked back and feel much better. that company has spent 100,000 on apple products, sold them, and bought twice as many PCs and smartphones.

apple is a very dirty and unethical company and I suggest game developers no longer support them. vote with your wallets people.

android would be a better option as well as nokia. also windows 7 tablet edition would be nice. a full 13 inch laptop-tablet would be the best for a cb game.

microsoft courier is the best... dual screens with TONS of awesome possibilites. I want one!

Yixian

Postby Yixian » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:10 am

Ok.. not really sure where to begin, and perhaps I shouldn't bother because to have opinions like that pretty much requires that you're not interested in the facts.

All I will say is that statistically, game developers make a lot more money on the App Store than they do on Android or Windows Mobile. Not just by a small margin, but by a vast margin. Apple take a 30% share of profits, lower than most other online stores and there is, of course, no distribution costs - a retail launch that would reach an audience as large as the app store would be incredibly expensive.

Microsoft Courier currently does not exist. When it does, I'm sure the specs will be capable of running Caesar III and Pharaoh etc., so by all means release a version for it.

But the point is, the iPad is out in a few weeks, pre-order sales are already very high, the App Store has proven so successful for game developers that it has actually resurrected a lot of studios that were falling on hard times.

Porting the 2D city building series to the App Store would obviously be a good idea for Tilted Mill, there's pretty much no question about that, but whether or not TM have the time to do it or having more pressing issues to deal with I don't know, they may well do. I just made this thread in case they do have the time and hadn't yet considered it.

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:12 am

"RemixedCat" wrote:apple also requires all apps to be sold through the apple store, making tmaill pay alot and loose a ton of money paid to apple for royalties.

and you don't think steam was/is collecting their royalities with TM's games? And later impulse after the steam exclusive?

And to the fact Yixian pointed out, it is a small price ($) to pay (royality) considering how everything else will just fall in place while the alternative way may even cost more (because more advertising ($$$) will be needed, finding a provider who will also probable charge ($$) but are not as well known, and will end up costing you more ($$$$$)

apple is a very dirty and unethical company and I suggest game developers no longer support them. vote with your wallets people.

i don't think so. Microsoft and Google i personally feel are. Microsoft can't make anything innovative, they just buy out companies to innovate for them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Microsoft and their tech support and xbox defective parts are a whole other story that is for another day. Apple's tech support is american (not outsourced to India) , know what their doing, and are liberal. My brother jailbroke his iphone and accidentally broke it by doing it, and despite breaking the EULA, apple replaced it for him for free.

Google i find is ironic with going after China for privacy issues, yet Google doesn't give a rat's @$$ about their user's privacy.

Yixian

Postby Yixian » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 am

Besides, from the perspective of Tilted Mill, a developer whose games we love but are having a difficult time financially, shouldn't be be encouraging them to try any distribution method or platform that would help them generate profit?

Maxis are working on an iPhone/iPad exclusive SimCity for the summer, Tilted Mill will be missing a trick if they don't beat them to it with Caesar III or Pharaoh etc.

They could charge a good $10 a pop.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:43 am

If it was me running TM, I think I would try to focus the first iPad app as something proven like COTN and/or Ceasar IV and sell it for $.99. Heck I would bet you would do well to have a stripped down version of Caesar IV for free. Then offer COTN for $.99 and hope it goes viral.

While that app is bringing in some income and more importantly, information and testing of the platform, I would make a new app..

A new City Builder, something like ScS but with .png graphics, 3D models compatible with google sketchup, and text based configuration files to allow the users to easily create additional content for free.

It should have a some social application aspects. Perhaps a quick build a city or have a battle with other users near or far. Co-op or head to head options. Perhaps Mini contests that can be played in under 20 min. It would be a great addition to have both text and voice chat functions, perhaps a built in Skype implementation.

I like the idea of a server application... Say I'm sitting in a coffee shop with another iPad user. If I have purchased the game I should be able to give the other person a temporary copy so we can play one of these short games. When I leave the area the application un-installs from the other device.

This nicer app could easily sell for as little as $4.99 and sell have the potential to go viral.

The hardest part of this may just be the porting of the existing code to run on the new platform...

Oh TM I would love to come work as the PM (or even producer) for this project. :) how about $35k+benefits with 10% increase per year?

:)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:30 pm

TM should definitely consider every platform available for their games. This is where the future is.

However, remember, TM doesn't own many of the games mentioned in this thread. TM owns COTN/Alexandria, Hinterland/Orc Lords (at least I think they still own Hinterland), Mosby's & Nile Online.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:07 pm

That's a good point Tinkerbell. It would make it a little harder to publish the past works when they don't own the franchises. I would think something could be worked out these days since every company is experiencing the consumer slow down and are/will be looking for more avenues of income.

And if not, that's still ok as I doubt the porting to the iPad would not be automatic so they would have to re-write everything anyways.

But it's all speculation since Chris and Jeff are continuing to be closed lipped as usual. /shakes fist :D

If I was a programmer I would be churning out all kinds of mini applications just hoping to hit that one viral one that makes enough money to build the awesome app. You can't beat the distribution value of the iphone/ipad store.

I really like the idea of a city builder that allows everyone to make new content easily with free open source tools. It will also need an online library to let the users upload/download/rate and share the items they have created.

I would also link to email accounts and social sites to let people share their experiences/rewards/goals/contests/etc... with their friends.

The goal is Viral Distribution, that's where the money is, low cost to purchase (almost everyone will risk $1 to see what's up)

Yixian

Postby Yixian » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:04 pm

I don't think TM would necessarily have to aim for a 99c viral hit, on the iPad I think they could comfortably sell a 2D city-builder for 5-10 bucks.

I see the last generation 2D city builders as the perfect match and the best place for TM to start on the iPad. If they can get the rights to release Caesar III, Pharaoh and Zeus, they could release each at $9.99, stagger the launches at 3-4 month intervals, and by the end of the year should have sold plenty and established themselves as the premium city builder developer on the platform before Maxis do.

The point is, TM have a limited budget to develop brand new titles but still have a very highly regarded back-catalog, and back-catalogs are more popular and more easily distributed than ever on eg. the App Store. It's a perfect fit.

Marius

Postby Marius » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:30 pm

The ?last generation? (2-3 gen back i think?) games style would be good.

I don't doubt that TM could produce a game for iPad/iPhone/iPod. They certainly could rehash the old classics if they got the license or IP for 'classic' city builders.

Nicer would be fresh produce so to speak.

1. The often mentioned Aztec/Maya/Inca locale would work great. Apple would probably not mind human sacrifice as long as there was no nudity.

2. Black Sea or Russia or Euro-Asiatic should work well. Large market for city builder in central europe.

3. Viking/Scandinavian would be an easy sell. Think Tropico 2 Pirate Cove with Vikings instead of pirates.

4. Atlantis/Mu et al. Could work well as long as it didn't come out as Geek Greek.

5. Luna City/Marsopolis (Sim City or SC2000 did this as architecture add on packs back in the day and a few other folks have tried it.)

Depending on licensing with the App store, TM could also release a similar version with online downloads sold from TM website for other platforms.

KISS release so it works on older platforms like Win2K and WinXP as well as Win7. (idle thought ... make sure it doesn't work on Vista)
Mac OSX should be fairly easy if it works on iPad/iPhone/iPod.
Linux/Unix/WinMobile so it could be sold to other smartphones and tablets.

Use the App store as the advertising vehicle that drives business to TM's website.
Free limited version on App Store, Paid version on App Store, forums and free content (backgrounds, ringtones) on TM website which also happens to have downloadable versions for Win/Mac/Linux etc...

Yixian

Postby Yixian » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Oh yeah for sure, a new game would be great, but finance wise I know a lot of companies are using their back-catalogs on the App Store to raise funding for new titles, and was thinking the same idea might suit TM.

arcan

Postby arcan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:00 pm

it certainly would be worth a try. Seeing all the crap apps people buy... a few good games would sell !

Jacquou Le

Postby Jacquou Le » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:02 pm

For me, TM should port its games to Nintendo DS, Sony PSP is better :D

Nile Online can't be played on DSi/Lite/Basic :(

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:52 pm

DS? really? I have always had a hard time enjoying playing games on a small screen. Could not imagine even trying a CB on a small screen.
Although it would be very interesting to see and I would make an effort to play on if it did happen :)

I wonder what it is really like in the TM offices these days.
[begin vision segment]

Jeff at his desk, big surprise shows on his face..
screams at Chris, "I'll frag your ass for that Bubba"

Chris sitting at desk, Grins

Sounds of "Battlefield: Bad Company 2" in the background...

[end vision segment]

:eek:

Return to “The Tilted Mill”