Pharaoh/ Cleo

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
CatMajik

Pharaoh/ Cleo

Postby CatMajik » Thu May 03, 2012 5:54 pm

A bit off topic.....sorry...but, I can't seem to load Pharaoh/Cleo. :( :(

It was on my PC a few yrs ago, since then I have "cleaned house" and now I can't get it to load. Any suggestions???

I rebought them thinking mine might have been scratched or something. Still won't load.

I am running XP.

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Thu May 03, 2012 6:31 pm

By "can't load", do you mean you can not install the game or, you can not start the game?

Markenkhonsu

Postby Markenkhonsu » Thu May 03, 2012 6:38 pm

If I remember correctly, Pharaoh/Cleopatra was designed for Windows 95/98. You may want to try a Google search for help on installing / playing it on XP.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:09 pm

I installed it some time ago using compatibility method.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Thu May 03, 2012 9:06 pm

"vic_4" wrote:I installed it some time ago using compatibility method.

Thank you Vic, I would luv some instruction as to how do that.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri May 04, 2012 7:13 am

You can set the compatibiliy mode by right clicking on the SETUP.EXE or file on the disc or the phraroh.exe file on the hard drive after it is installed and then properties, and then the compatabiliyt tab. Set the mode for win98 and see if that helps.

I run XP and don't have to do anything unusual to make it run.

Did you remember to reinstall DirectX 9.0c? There should be a copy of it on the disc in a folder. If not you can get a copy from Microsoft.
Last edited by Keith on Fri May 04, 2012 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Fri May 04, 2012 1:44 pm

"Keith" wrote:You can set the compatibiliy mode by right clicking on the SETUP.EXE or file on the disc or the phraroh.exe file on the hard drive after it is installed and then properties, and then the compatabiliyt tab. Set the mode for win98 and see if that helps.

I run XP and don't have to do anything unusual to make it run.

Did you remember to reinstall DirectX 9.0c? There should be a copy of it on the disc in a folder. If not you can get a copy from Microsoft.

Thank you Keith :D :D , I should never have "cleaned house" on my PC. I did get Pharaoh installed, but now it doesn't want to install Cleo. Do I have to get to a certain level in Pharaoh b4 Cleo will install.................sorry for the stupid questions, but it has been a few years since I played it. :o :o

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Fri May 04, 2012 1:59 pm

No, you don't need to play Pharaoh before installing Cleopatra.
Do you get any error message when Cleopatra will not install? -if you do, what does it say?

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Fri May 04, 2012 3:53 pm

"PCDania" wrote:No, you don't need to play Pharaoh before installing Cleopatra.
Do you get any error message when Cleopatra will not install? -if you do, what does it say?

I don't get any msg, it just sits there for a few minutes then goes away. I get the dialog box that says installing 100%. I can't seeem to get past that screen.
Last edited by CatMajik on Fri May 04, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri May 04, 2012 8:13 pm

I have run into this "stalled install" under XP problem quite a bit over on the VUG/Sierra boards.

The simplest thing to do with XP and a install that fails to proceed properly is to reboot to the SAFE MODE and install the game that way. Then reboot to the normal mode once the game is installed. In your case, it would be best to uninstall Pharaoh, then resintall the game in the Safe Mode and then install Cleoaptra immediately afterwards in the Safe Mode.

The problem is usually caused by some conflict between the SecuROM security software on the game CD and the system hardware or its drivers.

In the past, I've told people just to wait it out. On some systems the wait may take as much as 20 mins. In one case that reported back it took 55 minutes. Eventually the install should "kick loose" and complete all on its own.

During this "waiting period" you should not run other software, or reboot your system. Just let it sit untouched until the install completes.

Using the Safe Mode install lets the install complete in much less time and has been very successful in all the cases so far.

In many cases where you have install problems, you may need to be logged into the Local Administrator account on your system or to be using an account that is part of the local administrator's group on your system.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Sat May 05, 2012 12:22 pm

"Keith" wrote:I have run into this "stalled install" under XP problem quite a bit over on the VUG/Sierra boards.

The simplest thing to do with XP and a install that fails to proceed properly is to reboot to the SAFE MODE and install the game that way. Then reboot to the normal mode once the game is installed. In your case, it would be best to uninstall Pharaoh, then resintall the game in the Safe Mode and then install Cleoaptra immediately afterwards in the Safe Mode.

The problem is usually caused by some conflict between the SecuROM security software on the game CD and the system hardware or its drivers.

In the past, I've told people just to wait it out. On some systems the wait may take as much as 20 mins. In one case that reported back it took 55 minutes. Eventually the install should "kick loose" and complete all on its own.

During this "waiting period" you should not run other software, or reboot your system. Just let it sit untouched until the install completes.

Using the Safe Mode install lets the install complete in much less time and has been very successful in all the cases so far.

In many cases where you have install problems, you may need to be logged into the Local Administrator account on your system or to be using an account that is part of the local administrator's group on your system.

Thank you ever soooooooooo much :D :D :D :D

Return to “The Tilted Mill”