Zeus and Poseidon on GOG.com!

Anything relating to our company that doesn't fit elsewhere
Azeem

Zeus and Poseidon on GOG.com!

Postby Azeem » Sat May 12, 2012 2:28 am

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat May 12, 2012 7:38 am

Seems like a nice site. I wasn't sure what GOG was at first or if it was legal. They seem to be legit, although I 'm not sure how they acquiring rights to sell the games they offer.

Beside Zeus and Poseidon, they also offer Caesar III and the various LORDS of the REALM games.

http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue/?search=Impressions+Games

http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue/?search=Activision

I wonder why they don't offer Pharaoh and Cleopatra or Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Sat May 12, 2012 10:41 am

GOG.com is a fully legal site. They are owned by CD Project Red, the Polish company behind The Witcher and The Witcher 2. They contact the copyright holders to older games and makes a deal where they fix the games so they are without DRM and are able to run on WinXP and newer, both 32 and 64-bit. How much money the copyright holders get only they and CD Project Red knows.

BTW, they also have Caesar 3

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat May 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Fortunately, I have new unused boxed versions of all the old CB games from Impressions to fall back on in case my original game CDs I've been using all these years ever get lost or damaged. :)

GOG looks like a good deal pricewise.

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Sun May 13, 2012 11:25 am

The problem is that the map editor for Caesar 3 can not be installed on a 64-bit operating system as the installer contains 16-bit code. There is a workaround for it which involves a second computer running a 32-bit OS. The version of Caesar 3 on GOG does not have this problem as it includes everything and use an updated installer :)

alincarpetman

Postby alincarpetman » Thu May 17, 2012 10:33 pm

"Keith" wrote:I wonder why they don't offer Pharaoh and Cleopatra or Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

I thought about this too and my guess was that maybe they aren't because Sold Out Software re-released them on cdrom but they have also done this for the other city builder games as well. You can find the re-releases on Amazon and Mastertronic which bought SOS. I also wonder how GOG manages to acquire the re-distribution rights, it would an interesting insight.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu May 17, 2012 10:59 pm

When Sierra closed up shop as a distributor and merged into Activision-Blizzard, they were supposedly a development studio for them. They may still hold the rights to many of the old games and sell them off for cashflow although I haven't seen anything with a Sierra (studio) tag coming out of A-B since this all occurred.

PCDania

Postby PCDania » Sat May 19, 2012 6:46 pm

As far as I know, Sierra is only a brandname now, there is no actual studio having that name anymore.

alincarpetman

Postby alincarpetman » Sun May 20, 2012 4:46 am

"alincarpetman" wrote:I also wonder how GOG manages to acquire the re-distribution rights, it would an interesting insight.

I found some answers and more background info on the Gog Youtube channel.

Marius

Postby Marius » Wed May 23, 2012 10:08 pm

GOG is a nice site, they even offer Tropico Reloaded (Tropico, Paradise Island expansion and Tropico 2 Pirate's Cove) and most of the ancient Sierra games King's Quest, Police Quest Space Quest and finally Quest for Glory (Hero's Quest) series.

Strangely no Pharaoh/Cleopatra yet ... and hopefully Emperor ROTMK eventually.

tobing

Postby tobing » Thu May 24, 2012 11:52 am

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu May 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Excellent news!

Emperor has to be next....

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri May 25, 2012 2:58 am

OMG OMG OMG OMG :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Marius

Postby Marius » Tue May 29, 2012 12:37 am

Laughing so hard at my post that was on the knife's edge of release day.

BTW... how many loyal fans are buying the GOG releases for:

1. DRM FREE!!!! no bloody cd/dvd necessary.

2. Updated to be truly Win 7 compatible.

tobing

Postby tobing » Tue May 29, 2012 6:05 am

"Marius" wrote:1. DRM FREE!!!! no bloody cd/dvd necessary.

2. Updated to be truly Win 7 compatible.

For me, it's #1 of course. Bloody DRM didn't let Pharaoh install on my (company) laptop, because of group policy restrictions...

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Tue May 29, 2012 2:27 pm

I've currently been playing Pharaoh again.
Just for the record, I have the 2 x CD Pharaoh Gold edition.
Pharaoh works OK on my Win 7 laptop, but with Cleo installed (having tried all the setting combinations) the game will sometimes not start, and when it does start will probably freeze after a while.
Had to uninstall and reinstall Pharaoh only

So Gog will be a great solution to this problem when I move onto Cleo eventually...

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed May 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Have any of you with Win7 contacted SecuROM about the problem?

It sounds like it might be a security software issue. SecuRom will sometimes issue a player a custom exe file to get problem installs running on the player's computer....or at least they used to do it...when their SecuROM software refused to run on that player's computer.

You have to run the diagnostic software SecuROM puts on your computer once the game is installed and send SecuROM the file. They will check it to make sure there is no security software conflict with your computer.

You run the diagnostic after the game is installed on the drive, then you right click on the game's .exe file and there should be a "Run diagnostic" function. IT will generate a file in your C:\ root folder (main folder on your C: drive) and that is the file you send a copy of as a file attachment to SecuROM via email. In that email you include the name of the game, what version it is, and what exactly is the problem.

They will look it over and get back to you.

tobing

Postby tobing » Wed May 30, 2012 2:00 pm

For me, doing this with the Securom stuff is not an option. It's a company laptop, it has some restrictions in its group policies, and I simply cannot install any low level drivers, like Securom stuff.

So I'm glad to run the games without the DRM crap now!

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:05 am

This is good news. I never got to play Zeus.

Return to “The Tilted Mill”