Population?

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Jytte

Population?

Postby Jytte » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:46 pm

As I've never actually finished a scenario the way you're 'supposed to' ( I just build what I feel like and have fun), I have never produced a 'win page or message'. Only reason I know such a thing exists is because I've seen a screen picture of it somewhere in some forum. It said 'population: xxx'. This is the only time I've seen 'population' anywhere. I have estimated my pops the hard way by multiplying number of buildings with the number of people in them (avg) and adding that up. IS there such a thing somewhere, and I haven't seen it?

Alternately, if I could 'fire at will' a trigger to give me a 'win page' ....just declaring uh, victory I guess, without any condition.... that would then give me a pop-count at the time, right? possible?

I'll still be doing the calculating thing, as I use it to track the 'people who produce food' to 'people who eat it' ratio. That's a good measure of viability I've found. But, I'd love to have the actual population number, if it's somewhere to be had.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Tinkerbell

Re: Population?

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:26 pm

Sorry, no population indicator until a win screen.

You can add up the People Report w/o soldiers, multiply by about 3.5 (wife & 1.5 kids), then add soldiers back in.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Yea, that's what I thought. Thank you :)
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:26 pm

I know this is wayyyy old, but in case anyone 'new to cotn' is looking around in here, I thought I'd finish up this theme....
What I did, and that was real easy, was setting up a world site called 'surveyor', which will give me a 'victory page' with population etc etc.
Now, any time I want to know that number for whatever reason, I save my game, call a survey (activate the site), get my numbers, and go back to continue my saved game.
Where there is a will, there is a way ;)
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm

... or you could use the Thoth cheat for instant win. This will bring up a win screen with population on it.

Save game.
On the city map press enter ... this will bring up a box to enter text
Type "Thoth" without quotes... get instant win screen (it will say you cheated)
Reload save.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:19 am

Wow, forgot all about that. Good idea.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Well, except this, or any other, cheat does not work... at least never has for me.
All I get is "You entered: Troth", thank you very much for that bit of info :lol:
I seem to remember now that I tried this again, that I also tried some cheats a few years back, to no avail.
I'm currently on a new Win 10 PC, my first attemtps of COTN was on an XP. Same difference.
I have the "new" version from GOG.

Not that it bothers me, I like my 'surveyor'.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:14 am

Yeah, your idea works.

I don't remember perfectly, but I believe cheats have to be enabled in some way. Otherwise the commands do nothing.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Well, except this, or any other, cheat does not work... at least never has for me.
All I get is "You entered: Troth", thank you very much for that bit of info :lol:
I seem to remember now that I tried this again, that I also tried some cheats a few years back, to no avail.
I'm currently on a new Win 10 PC, my first attemtps of COTN was on an XP. Same difference.
I have the "new" version from GOG.

Not that it bothers me, I like my 'surveyor'.

So for the benefit of those without your 'surveyor'...
It works for me, straight from default install, using Windows 10 and Gog version. you don't even need to wait for the palace to be built.

There is an entry on cheats in Cotn.ini. Mine was set to Cheats 1. I tried changing to Cheats 0 to see if that stopped it (guesswork) but it made no difference, cheats still worked... but then I don't know what the settings in here should be.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:47 pm

Now that is really weird. I never noticed that entry in cotn.ini, but I just opened it to check, and sure enough I have 'cheat codes 1' in there.
Only it doesn't work, never has on any of my PCs. I wonder if I'm the only one in the universe without cheat codes, and if that case or any case, WHY?

I also downloaded my game from GOG, the enhanced complete or whatever it's called... in 2015.

And... now it IS starting to bother me! why it won't work for me but for everybody else???? :evil:
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:04 pm

so I fiddled with my ini, but still don't work. BUT, I knew I'd seen 'cheat codes' in the conditions, I just never paid attention to it, as cheats wouldn't work for me..... I picked up one of my maps, added a cheat code and a trigger, and lo and behold, If I add my own cheats to my scenarios, they work like a charm YEAY :D Now, THAT is gonna make my life so much easier, and my scenario so much nicer!!

Thank you Herodotus for triggering (pun intended) this idea in my head !!
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Except.... can someone please tell me how you can tell a victory page is a cheat? Because when I get my victory page via the cheat trigger, it looks quite normal, says SUCCESS! and then with no values, as it's a new scenario, no people yet.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “Editing”