I'm lost figuring this out

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Jytte

I'm lost figuring this out

Postby Jytte » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:15 pm

I've created world maps, no problem. I've created icons, no problem. Now I just wanted to create a background image for 'story', you know the picture you see in the background while reading scenario information... HUGE PROBLEM.

The one that are already with the program (scribe, docs, farmers etc) are normal tga files. I created one with alpha channel, no work. Created one without, no work. Put it in the main folder where the others are, in the same as the scenario, no work.

So had a closer look at the existing files. Ordinary tga files. Copied scribe with new name, works. Opened scribe in my PaintShopPro, saved it as a new tga file, no work.

This is the image information for the two pics:

Scribe3 (right) is the one I just copied and renamed (works). Scribe2 is the one I opened, then saved as tga with new name (no work).

For some reason the disk size gets smaller, but what does that have to do with anything.
For my untrained eyes, these files are completely identical, yet CotN doesn't seem to think so.

What on earth is going on?

Granted I'm completely stressed out at the moment because of the website issue, but I just can't for the life of me think of what I'm doing wrong suddenly???

Anybody?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Re: I'm lost figuring this out

Postby Jytte » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:24 pm

BUMP: Edited above with picture.

Anybody have any bright ideas? Please?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:43 am

The only other difference I see there is the file path.

I don't remember if anyone ever tried changing these. I think we did, but I don't recall success, which would mean we never figured it out.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:33 am

Path is just because that's where I picked up the file for PSP...
As long as the file is in either the original scenario folder, or the user scenario folder, AND is a tga file, Cotn will 'recognize it' and it shows in the list you can choose from on the Story Page.... but won't work.

I was afraid you were gonna say this :(
But SO hoping that someone cracked this at some point in time. I just can't see any reason for it NOT to work, and that bugs me to no end!
If it was hardcoded to only accept the original files, it also shouldn't take my 'renamed file', and that it does :roll:
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:36 pm

If you want to change the story background as you are trying to do, you need to first select one using the COTN editor. There are six choices. They are “campaign_description, docks, farmers, Pharaoh, scribe and temple.” For our example let’s select “scribe” and save the scenario. Next rename the TGA file that you want to use the same name as what you just selected. In this example we selected “scribe” as the background so we will save the new TGA file as scribe.tga.

Next you need to locate the directory Children of the Nile Alexandria\Data\Scenarios. For example if you purchased your game from steam that location is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Children of the Nile Alexandria\Data\Scenarios.” Once you locate yours, here you will find all 6 default TGA backgrounds that the game uses. This is where your new file needs to be placed for your background to work properly. I would first rename the original scribe.tga to something like scribeorg.tga so you can restore back. Now all you do is paste your new scribe.tga file to that directory and it will work. If it does not work now, then the program creating your tga file is not doing it correctly. If so let me know and I will post a link to a program I used that worked correctly for me.

Hope this help, ….RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:58 pm

First of all, RJG, thank you SO much for answering my cry for help :)

If what you just described was the only way, then my other tests with original files placed in same folder as scenario, and with another name, wouldn't work, and they do.
I tried your way anyway, even I'd already tried it in a different fashion, did not work.
I had not even begun to think that there might be something wrong with my software. I have Paintshop Pro Ultimate, and it was expensive enough, and does everything else I've ever asked of it, including making tga with alpha channels that I've used to test making icons in CotN.... I just can not fathom that possibility....
Never the less, your post made me think on that. So I grabbed my little Easy2convert jpg to tga, converted my jpg background to a tga background, with a new name (not scribe or anything), and it works like a charm, no matter where I put it (with orig files or my scenarios folder).

WHAT the H*** kind of S*** is that? I thought PSP was a 'professional' piece of software, that's why I got it. I'm fuming at this discovery and by all the time spent trying to figure out what I did wrong, or where the problem with Cotn was, GEEEEZ.

Again, thank you pointing me in the right direction ! Now I'll just use the little (FREE) easy2convert.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:27 am

I knew if you followed the procedure I posted, using the program defaults, and it still did not work, then it was without question your software that was creating your problem. What I posted was just a quick and easy way to test your TGA files.

Please I could help. Take Care…..RjG

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:55 pm

That's actually a relatively painless way to find out the software isn't doing what it should. Methinks a bug report is in your future. :)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:06 pm

Well, Yahya, there was actually quite a lot of pain involved here :lol:

I will complain very loudly as soon as I figure out where. You pay 60some bucks for a software to find out it won't do a simple task like this, hmpf.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “Editing”