Worship question

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Sia-Ra

Worship question

Postby Sia-Ra » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:46 pm

Guys, in the map editor, How do I dedicate a shrine or temple or cult temple
to a specific god?
And when I tested my map I wasn't able to use my right mouse button... Any specific reason why? Any guesses?

BTW: I'm new to the map editor so please be kind... :o ;)

Oh, can I ask another question? It's not about editing, but since I posted here now...
I sometimes see snapshots with a Cult Temple and the Temple is red. How do you do that? Or is that something in the game? Or is it a secret and do I have to find it out myself... In that case: gimme a hint... :)
Last edited by Sia-Ra on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi Sia-Ra,

Don't worry, I'm always kind! :)

Guys, in the map editor, How do I dedicate a shrine or temple or cult temple
to a specific god?

I believe you can place two different kinds of buildings for temples and cult temples in the editor. I know there are four types of palace that you can place. There might be additional buildings under the building list that allow this placement. Someone here will definitely know the answer, better than I. :)

And when I tested my map I wasn't able to use my right mouse button... Any specific reason why? Any guesses?

This one I know. The right mouse button is disabled in the editor. You have to use the tilde (~) key to rotate the map. Also, you can hit the HOME key to reorient the map to north, and the default viewing angle (I think this is 45°). It doesn't reset your altitude like it does in-game, however.

I sometimes see snapshots with a Cult Temple and the Temple is red. How do you do that? Or is that something in the game? Or is it a secret and do I have to find it out myself... In that case: gimme a hint... :)

This one I know also. This is Keith's Red Temple modification. You can find it at this link.

Happy editing!

Yahya

Sia-Ra

Postby Sia-Ra » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Yahya wrote:
This one I know. The right mouse button is disabled in the editor. You have to use the tilde (~) key to rotate the map. Also, you can hit the HOME key to reorient the map to north, and the default viewing angle (I think this is 45°). It doesn't reset your altitude like it does in-game, however.

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear on this. I meant that when I test my game in real play, the right mouse button doesn't work. I've tried two different ways of testing: You test from the editor by clicking the "test" button and when in the scneario you can choose "back to editor" instead of "quit". The second way is by starting the scenario the same way as you do other scenarios. By actually playing it (so not from the editor, but from the main menu), and then still it didn't work...

And tnx for the link of the red buildings. They are awesome!!

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Hmm. That is a strange one, and it sounds like a bug. I recently learned here that by clicking the TEST button, you can introduce non-removeable bugs into your scenario, so I don't do it any more.

Possibly this is what that is, but I am not sure. I've not heard of that one, sadly.

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:12 pm

On the pre-placed cult temple:
The "units" placement under buildings only has an undedicated cult temple.

If you use a Trigger Object to create a pre-dedicated (say Anubis for example - same results for any god) cult temple say at time "0" (when game starts) in a preset location - you will still get an undedicated one when the game starts. So I told it create an Anubis Cult temple at location Cult-temple - but game created a totally undedicated one. I tried also creating one with a large statue attribute - and it didn't work. I also had plans that included this idea and I fiddled with it for awhile.

My conclusion was that you cannot create a pre-dedicated temple on the city map. I won't claim to know all though - if it is possible - it is not real obvious how to do it.

What I would do is place a cult temple, and give the town a large statue at time "0" and then have a looping trigger to continue to punish the town - say with failed floods or something until it is dedicated to the correct god. You can use the the trigger object "anubis cult temple" to check that the town has one or not (even though you can't create with it). So basically they need to build a few laborors, overseer, and a carver (or you could even pre-build those)

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:16 pm

Yahya wrote:Hmm. That is a strange one, and it sounds like a bug. I recently learned here that by clicking the TEST button, you can introduce non-removeable bugs into your scenario, so I don't do it any more.

Possibly this is what that is, but I am not sure. I've not heard of that one, sadly.

I had not heard that it intoduced bugs - but I didn't use it. I just would use regular play -Since the "TEST" button nearly always caused crash to desktop for me.

Karter

Postby Karter » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:21 am

Sia-Ra wrote:Guys, in the map editor, How do I dedicate a shrine or temple or cult temple
to a specific god?
:)

--------------------
edited

oh no .... this doesn't work
sorry

------------

If you mean how do you pre-place a Dedicated Cult Temple on your map at game start up?
this is how it is done:

Step One: (create an area on the map where temple is to be placed)
Trigger>Area>

draw a large square on your map where it is supposed to be placed
and give the Area a name ie; Area 1 - Anubis Temple
(make sure the area is at least the same size as the base or it won't be created)

Step Two: (create an object specify,name,type of object)
Trigger>Object>
select *object specification
check dynamic min 1 max 1 if you like

(now under name, -right hand side- each temple has a specific name ie;
Anubis Cult Temple
Anubis Temple
Anubis Shrine
Amun Cult Temple
Amun Temple
Amun Shrine, etc.
or to make generic, just use Cult Temple)

Name> Anubis Cult Temple

Class> Cult Temple

then under Area (lower left) from drop down window
tell it the area which it belongs

Area> Area 1 - Anubis Temple
(leave the rest unchecked)

then at top name it something like

Name Anubis C Temple

Step Three: (make an effect that will create the object in the area)
Trigger>Effect>

Name: create Anubis C Temple (or anything you like)
Type of Effect: Object

Action: Create Object: Anubis Cult Temple (from drop down window)

Step Four: (make a trigger that will fire the effect)

Trigger>
name (whatever)
checked Always On
if not Anubis C Temple exists
then create Anubis C Temple (from drop down window)

Done kind of

what that will do is create the dedicated Temple in the area that you designated on the map as soon as the game starts

What it doesn't do is give it the proper orientation

Step Five: (face it in proper direction)
you must create an additional effect to rotate the object to the proper orientation

you do that in the
Trigger>Effect>

Name: face Anubis C Temple (or anything you like)

Action: face object Object: Anubis Cult Temple (from drop down window)

0-360 degrees
check snap

Then go back and add
the effect to your trigger in Step 4

Trigger>
name (whatever)
checked Always On
then create Anubis C Temple and face Anubis C Temple

-----------------

you will probably have to play around with step five a couple of times to get the placement proper
I first test the trigger to see which way the placement is and then go back to rotating object
depending on how your map is layed out, you may not need step five

hope all of that makes sense

Last edited by Karter on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:23 am

Someone really ought to make a complete compilation of all the little editor goodies that we've uncovered so far. :D

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:46 am

I am seriously thinking about that, but it will have to wait, at least until after Episode III. :D

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:14 am

Karter wrote:If you mean how do you pre-place a Dedicated Cult Temple on your map at game start up?
this is how it is done:

Step One: (create an area on the map where temple is to be placed)
Trigger>Area>

draw a large square on your map where it is supposed to be placed
and give the Area a name ie; Area 1 - Anubis Temple
(make sure the area is at least the same size as the base or it won't be created)

Step Two: (create an object specify,name,type of object)
Trigger>Object>
select *object specification
check dynamic min 1 max 1 if you like

(now under name, -right hand side- each temple has a specific name ie;
Anubis Cult Temple
Anubis Temple
Anubis Shrine
Amun Cult Temple
Amun Temple
Amun Shrine, etc.
or to make generic, just use Cult Temple)

Name> Anubis Cult Temple

Class> Cult Temple

then under Area (lower left) from drop down window
tell it the area which it belongs

Area> Area 1 - Anubis Temple
(leave the rest unchecked)

then at top name it something like

Name Anubis C Temple

Step Three: (make an effect that will create the object in the area)
Trigger>Effect>

Name: create Anubis C Temple (or anything you like)

Action: Create Object: Anubis Cult Temple (from drop down window)

Step Four: (make a trigger that will fire the effect)

Trigger>
name (whatever)
checked Always On
then create Anubis C Temple (from drop down window)

Done kind of

what that will do is create the dedicated Temple in the area that you designated on the map as soon as the game starts

What it doesn't do is give it the proper orientation

Step Five: (face it in proper direction)
you must create an additional effect to rotate the object to the proper orientation

you do that in the
Trigger>Effect>

Name: face Anubis C Temple (or anything you like)

Action: face object Object: Anubis Cult Temple (from drop down window)

0-360 degrees
check snap

Then go back and add
the effect to your trigger in Step 4

Trigger>
name (whatever)
checked Always On
then create Anubis C Temple and face Anubis C Temple

-----------------

you will probably have to play around with step five a couple of times to get the placement proper
I first test the trigger to see which way the placement is and then go back to rotating object
depending on how your map is layed out, you may not need step five

hope all of that makes sense

hmmm...this is what I did before, and I just tried it again, I'm still just getting an undedicated temple created

Very odd cause it seemed like it should work that way to me too...

Think I will use a blank scenario so nothing could be messing with it and try again
Ok just tried again - its supposed to create an anubis cult temple but when scenario plays mode you get only an undedicated cult temple.

I took screenies (my test didn't bother with facing or testing to see if anubis temple existed and this was the sole thing in a fresh made scenario so no other objects or triggers should be interfering.

Creation of area in editor,
Creation of Object in editor,
Creation of effect in editor
Trigger in editor
Shot in game - showing temple created on the spot but you can see it is undedicated. :(

I also tried variations on the Object - setting only the Unit to Anubis Temple, but not the class to cult temple
and for each I then also tried giving the temple a large statue attribute.
Result in game was still always an undedicated temple.

So I'm still stumped. I'm attaching my "clean test" scenario if anyone wants to check it and see if they can get it to work. Right now it would seem that dedicating cult temples is action that must be done by the player :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LisaMockingbird on Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sia-Ra

Postby Sia-Ra » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:02 am

Well, the player dedicating the temple is not so much of a problem, I think, but it wouldn't make your own created scenario "finished"...
Also, I still got the problem of my right mouse button that doesn't work. Think saving it under a new name would help? and then NOT use the test button...
I think I'll give it a try and see what happens...
'Let you know the result...
Didn't work...
I also opened another game, just a random scenario, and there my right mouse button also doesn't work anymore... So I can't use it anymore for some weird reason... I tried changing the right/left handed orientation, but that also didn't work... Don't know what's going on...
I mean, if the "test" button in the editor would cause a bug to appear in my own created scenario and make the right mouse button non-functional, that could not happen in any of the other scenario's, would it?
Anyone any suggestions of what I could do? Maybe save all my saved games and re-install the game? Or is that very drastic?
Last edited by Sia-Ra on Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:41 am

Sia-Ra wrote:Well, the player dedicating the temple is not so much of a problem, I think, but it wouldn't make your own created scenario "finished"...
Also, I still got the problem of my right mouse button that doesn't work. Think saving it under a new name would help? and then NOT use the test button...
I think I'll give it a try and see what happens...
'Let you know the result...
Didn't work...
I also opened another game, just a random scenario, and there my right mouse button also doesn't work anymore... So I can't use it anymore for some weird reason... I tried changing the right/left handed orientation, but that also didn't work... Don't know what's going on...
I mean, if the "test" button in the editor would cause a bug to appear in my own created scenario and make the right mouse button non-functional, that could not happen in any of the other scenario's, would it?
Anyone any suggestions of what I could do? Maybe save all my saved games and re-install the game? Or is that very drastic?

It sounds like you need a new mouse, I can't tell you how many I have went through.

Sia-Ra

Postby Sia-Ra » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:47 pm

thegrad wrote:It sounds like you need a new mouse, I can't tell you how many I have went through.

Hm, could be, but my mouse is working just fine in any other program, including the right mouse button...

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:58 pm

Sia-Ra wrote:Hm, could be, but my mouse is working just fine in any other program, including the right mouse button...

That is really odd, two things you might try before reinstalling
In CotN, "settings" under "interface", hit the "restore defaults" just in case something mixed up your mouse.

If you have another mouse (I have like 6 in my old computer junk box) try it and compare results. Usually its my wheel that wears out before the right button.

Have you added any special mouse drivers that might be overwriting the game? For example I usually use a Wacom pen tablet instead of a mouse - it has customizable settings for nearly all programs and I can alternate the pen to a mouse if I choose.

Karter

Postby Karter » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Grrrrrrrr

my previous post doesn't work :eek: :eek: :( :( :(

I was thinking that;
this is what I use to test to see if an object exists in a particular spot

I believe the reason it doesn't work is that you can not create the appropriate statue for the Temple

each Temple has its own Basalt Figure that sits atop

I wonder if any of the effects actually create these special features;
if we had better documentation, it may have answered this

SORRY, SORRY, for the previous post
my game was NOT installed for testing
I installed it afterwards

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:13 pm

Actually as far as I can tell none of the special effect will do it either - if you remember, I asked for your old info on those and I then finally broked down and did a "lab" scenario that had every single solitary effect (some crash the game when called by a trigger and some do nothing when called by a trigger on the ground)

Your comment has gotten me thinking tho that perhaps the effects that crash or do nothing - need to be applied to an object rather than to the ground.
I might need to do some more testing.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:09 pm

The other question I would have about making objects appear (as opposed to placing them from the unit menu) is if the player can interact with them. I thought I read where you could make mines appear, but the player couldn't use them. I tried making a warship appear in one scenario. The trigger worked fine, but I could never get a naval commander to attach to it, so it made it pretty worthless. (I tested having it appear before and after I had a commander.)

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:31 am

Mines are useless if you have them spawn via triggers. Karter mentioned this earlier. I tested it several times myself but to no avail. :( Spawning is really only useful for buildings, people, and caravans.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:45 am

Jimaaten wrote:...I tried making a warship appear in one scenario. The trigger worked fine, but I could never get a naval commander to attach to it, so it made it pretty worthless. (I tested having it appear before and after I had a commander.)

This gives me a great idea....

:D

Return to “Editing”