What Happened?

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
thegrad

What Happened?

Postby thegrad » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:02 am

Since I installed the "Enhancement" I am unable to create a campaign in the editor. I uninstalled everything and went back to the basic game but still no luck. What Happen to the Campaign Editor? I reinstalled the "Enhancement" and again the same thing happened, I get the notepad but the scenarios are not attached to the campaign. Does this mean there will be no more user-created campaigns? HELP!!!!!
Last edited by thegrad on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:21 am

Mine has the campaign editor. Sounds like you got another bad download from Steam. Try running the local files verify game cache. Right click on the cotn entry on the Steam My Games menu, then properties, then local files, then the verify option.

If it still doesn't show up, you may have to use the Steam delete local files on CotN and then let it redownload and install itself again to see if it corrects the problem.

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:32 am

"Keith" wrote:Mine has the campaign editor. Sounds like you got another bad download from Steam. Try running the local files verify game cache. Right click on the cotn entry on the Steam My Games menu, then properties, then local files, then the verify option.

If it still doesn't show up, you may have to use the Steam delete local files on CotN and then let it redownload and install itself again to see if it corrects the problem.

I have the campaign editor it just won't work any more. I did not download the Enhancement from Steam. I downloaded it from the CotN site. Steam is not connected to my game that is why I don't understand why the Campaign Editor is acting this way, when I have made campaigns before with no trouble. Thanks for any help you can find for me.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:59 am

I would uninstall, do a registry scan and clean. Do a disk cleanup too. Then install Cotn again and then 1.3. You may want to disable the virus scanner before the reinstall. I will assume that you did download the matching language version of 1.3 for your game.

It sounds like something may have gotten corrupted along the line.

If that doesn't work, then you may have some other problem with another app or even spyware, etc. causing interference.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:10 am

So sorry to hear this Grad, especially since you are the ONLY Campaign Professional around these parts.

If anyone can figure it out, you can! :)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:50 am

Mine seems to be working, though there are a few errors with sound files.

The Campaign Editor is looking for the sound files designers attach to events when it tries to save the campaign. I used as test scenarios SWII, SWIII, The Keep, and Exile, as those are the four currently resting in my scenarios folder. SWII, The Keep, and Exile each have sounds in them, and the game can't find them. This is presumably because the scenario and campaign files were moved to "My Documents," but the Campaign Editor is only checking the file path listed in the scenario, i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\data\audo\sounds\misc. The sounds aren't there. I imagine that can be remedied by moving the sounds files. Those files do work in the scenarios, so the scenarios are still checking the correct location.

I was able to get a campaign saved with SWII as the only file. When I try to play that campaign, I get an error which says it couldn't find the campaign, which I think makes sense because I took no extra step, save to add SWII to the campaign and save.

But it seems to be working on my side, except for that one minor (irritating) glitch. That is a bug that could be fixed, methinks, but there is a pretty easy workaround.

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:26 pm

Quote Yahya Post #1,064
"I was able to get a campaign saved with SWII as the only file. When I try to play that campaign, I get an error which says it couldn't find the campaign, which I think makes sense because I took no extra step, save to add SWII to the campaign and save."

This is exactly what I am talking about. You cannot play the campaign because it keeps saying "it cannot find the files" even though you can play each and every scenairo.
Last edited by thegrad on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Ah, ok. You are correct.

Upon further investigation, I really can't make any details to my save. I also can't run the campaigns I created, no matter where I place the scenario files.

Methinks something in the code is broken with the path changes done in the 1.3 patch. I think this is a genuine, hard-coded bug that requires a patch from TM to correct.

By the way, while it is certainly TM's right to put files wherever they wish, My Documents is a silly place in my opinion. First, that puts game files in two different locations, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me; and second, having a large My Documents folder is the reason for the insanely long boot times of computers on networks since Win2K. Food for thought, guys! :)

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:05 pm

"Yahya" wrote:Ah, ok. You are correct.

Upon further investigation, I really can't make any details to my save. I also can't run the campaigns I created, no matter where I place the scenario files.

Methinks something in the code is broken with the path changes done in the 1.3 patch. I think this is a genuine, hard-coded bug that requires a patch from TM to correct.

By the way, while it is certainly TM's right to put files wherever they wish, My Documents is a silly place in my opinion. First, that puts game files in two different locations, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me; and second, having a large My Documents folder is the reason for the insanely long boot times of computers on networks since Win2K. Food for thought, guys! :)

Thank you Yahya for checking it out, I thought I was going crazy. I knew I could make a campaign, but now with this bug I guess user - created campaigns are a thing of the past.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:06 pm

"Yahya" wrote:By the way, while it is certainly TM's right to put files wherever they wish, My Documents is a silly place in my opinion. First, that puts game files in two different locations, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me; and second, having a large My Documents folder is the reason for the insanely long boot times of computers on networks since Win2K. Food for thought, guys! :)

I agree. TM has the right to put files wherever they wish, but the consumer has their rights and wishes too.

My C drive is not for games, they all are in D drive and run perfectly from there. Except now CoTN wants to have its way. I can just about live with that, but it has changed my playing a bit. I go through my snapshots, rename and move them to a proper file in D drive. This means less snapshots, but also less saves.

A game having control over my PC, placing a file wherever it wants to, I really don't like that. Can anyone say what's the idea of this, a game file in My Documents?

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:06 pm

"Kiya" wrote:...Can anyone say what's the idea of this, a game file in My Documents?

To venture a guess, I'd say it's for convenience. The average computer user can't find files to save his life, so to make it easy for him, everything gets put into My Documents. That's probably the reason for the creation of that folder in the first place.

For the user that knows her way around a PC, it doesn't really matter where the files are located, so nobody really complains. At least, that's my thinking on it. But I hate things in My Docs.

My Pictures and My Music are files on my C:\ root. That prevents the unbearably slow boot times resulting from trying to load my gigs of music on boot-up.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks Yahya for your comments, and Happy Birthday Image

But I hate to think a game (company) decides where my things will be saved. And it does matter to me where my files are located, although I am able to find my things without difficulties (using my method :) ). If anybody hasn't been complaining so far, I am now: I don't like a game file in My Documents.

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:28 pm

"Will Jennings post #211
Moving user data into the My Documents folder is necessary for 1.3 to be compatible with Vista; I'm sorry it was an intrusion for you."

This was my answer to this very problem, somehow I have manage to learn to live with it. But not being able to put together my latest campaign is really annoying.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:36 pm

"thegrad" wrote:"Will Jennings post #211
Moving user data into the My Documents folder is necessary for 1.3 to be compatible with Vista; I'm sorry it was an intrusion for you."

Oh I didn't notice that. Oh well, vista, I don't even have it and it gave us this. :o :(

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:14 pm

"Kiya" wrote:If anybody hasn't been complaining so far, I am now: I don't like a game file in My Documents.

I place all my games in a custom folder
c:\games

I place all my non game programs in program files..

yes my computer is very neat :)

Scratcher

Postby Scratcher » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:24 am

I'm having a similar problem. Any time I attempt to 'create river' the entire app crashes. No amount of uninstall/clean system/reinstall has been able to remedy it. I bought the steam version.

thegrad

Campaigns

Postby thegrad » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:15 pm

So.......TM are we going to be able to make campaign for CotN again, or is that a thing of the past?

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:33 pm

"thegrad" wrote:So.......TM are we going to be able to make campaign for CotN again, or is that a thing of the past?

Has anyone been able to find out the answer to this problem? It would be nice to know one way or the other. :eek:

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:14 pm

"thegrad" wrote:Has anyone been able to find out the answer to this problem? It would be nice to know one way or the other. :eek:

I haven't seen anything on these forums. Perhaps you should PM to one of the devs (Reed, Jeff Fiske?) and ask them?

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:52 pm

"Kiya" wrote:I haven't seen anything on these forums. Perhaps you should PM to one of the devs (Reed, Jeff Fiske?) and ask them?

Thanks Kiya for your suggestion but since this question has been up for sometime without a response, I think it is safe to say this bug will not be fixed. So...If I want to make "campaigns' I will have to go back and make them for Zeus.

Return to “Editing”