editing questions..

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
victortiti89

editing questions..

Postby victortiti89 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:35 am

First of all,thank you for answering me at the first questions regarding CoTN!
so,I just realized that,even though the first scenario attempt ever,which I labeled as test was never intended to actually become a scenario,I realized it can have just as much potential as if I started with a new one.So,it makes more sense to develop this existing one.However,there are some practical issues I cannot figure out yet.
1)After making the river and pressing test button,it crashes even if the map has minimum size.I found the solution here:to create the river and then not to use test button,but to test it directly inside the game,by playing that scenario.And here,I am just curious:what happens if you make a map without creating the river?Can it be played?
2)How many wild animals should I place?Do they interact with humans?What happens if I place them close to human houses,especially if they are predatory(like lions or crocodiles)?
3)about the music before the scenario:can you place your own mp3,or do you have to choose from the list provided?I would like to use a song from another game because it...it simply matches with the story I d like to present.So,can it be done?

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:18 am

Hi again!

1) For me, a test always crashes when I don't have placed villagers on the map. I think the game test deems this "unplayable" and crashes.
You can create a map without a river. You either just can paint some area of the map with floodplain colour where your farmers make their fields just as well as on an actual floodplain, or you can make the map so that your city imports all their food from the world map and doesn't produce food at all. Works also well, but you have to balance it carefully and find a solution how your society is build up instead of the classic model: You will need no farmers nor nobles, no entertainers, probably also no scribes. This will cause some difficulties for the other classes, who are in some ways dependant from that classes.

2) Don't place too much animals. They breed, and if they are hunted too much, so that the last one vanishes, they will appear again after some time.
They interact in several ways: Villagers and farmers hunt birds. Hungry people as well as armor makers hunt cows (the latter for the leather. If you need armor leather in your game, be sure to place some, or at least make a source to import it!). Hippos, lions and crocodiles are hunted for sports by nobles. They won't cause a problem for other villagers, except when they happen to cross a city guards path, he will attempt to kill the beast. Deer is hunted by lions. I never saw a CotNizen kill deer, but I can't say they never do. But you don't need to feed the lions, they can live well without a food source.
So, animals are mostly to make your map prettier (except cows). You villagers can have other food sources (a body of water is enough to make them go fishing), and nobles can live well without hunting (or one crocodile on the whole map is enough). You should use animals sparingly.

3) I'm not a techie, sorry. I think you can replace/ add music in the appropriate file folder. I know someone once added the pharaoh music to his CotN game, but I can't provide you with a step-by-step solution how to do this.
Last edited by sakasiru on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:47 pm

You can add whatever music you want, but you have to be a bit careful about it.

To play over the instruction menu, like when the game reads the text to you before you press "Play" or whatever the button is, the file has to be placed in the ..\data\Audio\Sounds folder. Then to play it, you just change the "inst. sound over" option on the Player page in the editor. (I think that's the right detail; you'll find it.)

You can also play these sounds in-game by firing an event. I can't remember the detail on that just now, but you can find it in the CotN Editor Manual I just posted the other day. That will explain all of this in detail.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:09 pm

I would suggest that if your setting it up for Alexandria to not place any fowl. They run too fast and your villagers or hunters will chase them all over the map. It is a little funny to watch just as they get close enough to attack the bird runs away (run away run away...) and the hunter never catches it.

:cool:
:cool:

victortiti89

just letting you know...

Postby victortiti89 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:18 am

I have managed to insert the specific music and made it load before pressing play(during introduction text).The scenario is nearly completed!

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:51 am

Congratulations, victortiti! :)

Return to “Editing”