editor crash when choosing terrain

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
sakasiru

editor crash when choosing terrain

Postby sakasiru » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi!

I had this problem with the last scenario I made, but thought it was due to the overall "crashiness" of the editor when editing large scenarios.

However, I wanted to start the new one, and nearly everytime I change terrain colour, my pc freezes to the point I have to restart it completely. Annoying isn't nearly enough to describe it...

So, any ideas? I don't think it's a driver issue, since it worked so many times well and just started recently. I also tried both cd version and steam and have the same problem here & there, so it isn't due to a faulty disk either. Don't know what to try next, but I can't work on the scenario that way :(

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:48 pm

That's odd. What terrain and color are you choosing?

I don't think that's ever happened to me, but I usually use the default terrain colors.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:24 pm

I first chose medium desert, it crashed.
Then I managed to paint the map in medium desert, then tried to change to floodplain, and it crashed.
I started again and painted a little grass/desert, then chose the other grass/desert colour, and it crashed again.
I tried again to first make the floodplain colour, it crashed again. Then I lost patience, since 3 out of the 4 times, I had to restart the pc completely. :(

I didn't do anything else yet on the map except a little elevation changes, since I want to finish the map first before adding world map and triggers (due to other experiences...).

I remember I had this problem in the later stages of realms of the gods, but it was better when I made the map for thesniperdevil's Mirror of Bast and nile offline, so I thought it was due to the huge map and/or the complex triggers etc. But now I have a standard map (125x125 I think, whatever you get by default when you start a new scenario), and nothing on it or on the WM and no triggers, and it still crashes like crazy.

Hmm, maybe it's better when I don't use the default map?!

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:26 pm

Maybe so. I've never used the default map. It's usually either too big or too small for my needs. (Usually too big.)

All those other things you did, I've done, and I've had no problems like that.

Could just be a bugged map. Although you're trying from scratch every time, right? So that wouldn't be it.

Maybe the default map is the problem. :eek: :confused:

Luke159

Postby Luke159 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:57 pm

I just had this problem on the default map too. I was trying to add some mud under the papyrus when it froze and i ended up having to restart the computer because of it. Luckily i make 3 saves, one for the changes i like and one with resent changes and the final is a backup with all changes made. This is the first time i've tried to make my own map on COTN, i figured it was something i did, i double clicked when selecting the ground texture aka mud which is whn it froze. I don't exactly know if that was why it froze but i will be testing that out to see if it is the problem or not.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:17 am

Unfortunately, the map editor isn't perfect and it can be a bit quirky.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:02 pm

I stopped using the 1.3 editor and started using the one with Alexandria. I don't think you can make it crash. Only drawback is you have to have alexanderia to play.

Rileses I

Would there ever be a patch to fix the editor?

Postby Rileses I » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:11 pm

"sakasiru" wrote:Hi!

I had this problem with the last scenario I made, but thought it was due to the overall "crashiness" of the editor when editing large scenarios.

However, I wanted to start the new one, and nearly everytime I change terrain colour, my pc freezes to the point I have to restart it completely. Annoying isn't nearly enough to describe it...

So, any ideas? I don't think it's a driver issue, since it worked so many times well and just started recently. I also tried both cd version and steam and have the same problem here & there, so it isn't due to a faulty disk either. Don't know what to try next, but I can't work on the scenario that way :(

I myself have experienced numerous crashes already with the editor,and it seemed to be linked to a particular mud texture.As soon as I would click 'mud' the editor would completely freeze,I couldnt even minimize the window to desktop to close down the editor manually :mad:
I wonder if someone could design a patch specifically for the editor?,as i'm sure these crashes can be fixed quite easily just like a game patch fixes certain 'broken' elements of the game itself.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:51 pm

The editor was provided on a as-is basis. TM probably won't be making any patches for it, especially if they haven't done it in the past 6 years.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:27 pm

"Keith" wrote:The editor was provided on a as-is basis. TM probably won't be making any patches for it, especially if they haven't done it in the past 6 years.

Shame,oh well,least we know now.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Just remember I'm not an official for TM, so anything is possible, but it's probably unlikely.

Return to “Editing”