Fyi

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
sakasiru

Fyi

Postby sakasiru » Fri May 07, 2010 7:52 pm

Once you import reeds through a caravan to your city, the reed plants won't regrow in your city.

Yay! :(

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri May 07, 2010 7:59 pm

Say what? :eek:

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Fri May 07, 2010 9:21 pm

Doh! Never knew that!

That's friggin odd! :eek:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri May 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Well, if they never grow back, ya better keep those caravans comin!

:D

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sat May 08, 2010 10:37 am

That's strange isn't it? I still don't know what TM thought.

I wanted to have a small amount of reed plants in the city, and if the player needs more, he should import. Well, and the moment the WM site is opened, the reeds never regrow or are harvested (I also did this with flax, but there it worked well).
So I guess I will delete the caravan, since this messes up my testcity very much: Shopkeepers, brickmakers and papyrusmakers nearly fighting over the few reeds and rushes coming in, it's hilarious for some years, but then it gets annoying. And I don't want to simply raise the amount coming in, because this would make the scenario too easy, since the brickmakers would just have to walk over to the exchange, stock themselves with reeds and papyrus rushes and send their kids digging clay. They produce way too fast that way :p

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat May 08, 2010 11:48 am

Have you tried giving the brickmakers something else?

I can't remember what resource it is off-hand, but brickmakers will use one other resource to make bricks, if reeds are unavailable. Maybe if you had that dropped off at a DOP near the brickmakers, it would make a difference.

That said, that's a lot of micromanagement that you might rather not have to deal with. :D

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sat May 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Yeah, the second resource is papyrus rushes, and I import them too. All of them, btw, so I don't know whether they would regrow or not.

And yes, that's a lot of micromanaging :D remember someone demanding a "challenging sandbox" recently? ;) Well, today is the third day of playtesting a single run of it (that's the reason why I will probably play on with this bug, since 100 bricks/ year is still faster than starting over :cool: )

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat May 08, 2010 8:04 pm

And it's more challenging, too. LOL

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sun May 09, 2010 12:26 pm

I hvae to apologize. it was *not* due to the imported reeds. My reed plants still break when I don't import any reeds.
My next guess is that they break due to high floods... Anyway, they all are already broken again, even when I deleted the import site.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun May 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Uh oh, sooo sorry, Saks. :(

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon May 10, 2010 10:46 am

Indeed. That does not bode well for that scenario.

But that's an odd bug that we haven't seen before.

We might all need to do some testing. Are you working with v. 1.3, sakasiru?

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Mon May 10, 2010 11:45 am

I have the version from steam, honestly can't tell which version that is, but I guess it's the newest.

As soon as the scenario is tested (it's still playable), I will upload it with a warning, and you can tell me if it's happening to you too.
Until then, you might try a testmap like this:

Make a small lake (no river to the edge of the map).
Do not create water (cause I didn't manage it, it always crashed).
Place a few reed plants around the lake, below high flood level.
Start a small city.
Watch what happenes after the first high flood. Do the citizens still use all reeds? Only some? None? I think at first only some crashed, since there were still one or two plants my people went to, but either they got over-harvested or the next flood got them, because they stopped regrowing some time later, too.

If it is happening to you too, you can lab which of the factors causes this bug. The lake with no river connection? The not created water? The placement below high flood level? Over-harvesting? (I don't think it is the last one, though. Not alone. I had 2 basket shops, 2 mat shops and up to 6 brickmakers and 12 reed plants for all of them to use. I can't imagine that this is too few as long as all reed plants function normally).

Happy labbing! ;)

Return to “Editing”