delete clay sprites

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
cat pole

delete clay sprites

Postby cat pole » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Can you delete the selected clay sprites?

If I do a lot of right clicking in the selected clay sprite it will eventually delete, but I was wondering if there's a faster way.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:46 pm

Howdy, cat pole!

Not that I know of, sorry. You could terrain paint over them, I guess. Most new scenariomakers do that by accident & have too few clay sprites!

Clay should always be put in last.

Perhaps someone else will have ideas.

Good Luck! :)

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:45 am

Clay sprites are barely visible (in the editor) red bars which are underground most of the time. If you place them on a slope you can see them, and pick them to delete.

Maybe you can try to alter the slope where you placed them to make them appear and easier to delete?

cat pole

Postby cat pole » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:46 am

Thank you guys for your answers.

When I was playing the map, I wanted the people to get clay from inside town instead of in front of town. Other than messing up the map to get rid of the clay sprites, there's no way to remove them. So I decided to make a larger map, that one was too small anyways.

When I finish taking the text off the small map, is there a place online we can put maps, so other people can use them if they want?

ETA. I took off the other questions. I found out the answers when I was testing my large map. Everything's done with the mod except for the testing. Which I'll do next.
Last edited by cat pole on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:35 am

I have a trick for this, because this has given me a lot of fits over the years.

First, I put down my clay early, and then I never mess around with that area again. Too dangerous, and I've ended up with scenarios that have no clay because of that.

However, you can work with this.

Go to Units, and then drag a rectangle around the area you are worried about. It will highlight all the units on the map with little red circles, including all the clay sprites.

Then you can do a couple of things. First, you can see how many you have and where they are, exactly. Then you can decide if you need more or less.

Second, you can start clicking DELETE on your keyboard, and it will delete those sprites one at a time, but not in any particular order, except maybe the order in which they were placed.

If you want to delete specific ones, once you know where they are, you can click on an individual sprite (turning on the grid with CTRL+T is VERY helpful here) and then just delete that one.

Regarding the highlighting of clay sprites, you can see what it looks like in Matt Zimmitti's lesson on sprite placement. It's the first attachment, clay.jpg.

cat pole

Postby cat pole » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Okay I figured out how to delete the sprites very easily.

Go to the terrian part of the editor and click the remove sprites button. Then paint over the area. All sprites under the brush will delete. :D

Eta Thank you for all that infomation Yahya. :) I read all the sticky theads on building before I started messing with the editor and the in game help file. I'm new to city builders and I only like this one because I get to see the people going places and doing things. I was very surprised to discover that I like these kind of games, like COTN, my tribe, and virtual villagers.

That's why I opened the editor to make me a area so I can learn how to play the game right. My cities are big and beautiful but the people get unhappy and leave a lot. The quarries will have statues waiting to be taken out of the quarry and when I click on a statue (wanting to know why it isn't being bulit) I get a red message saying no material. I had both large and regular statues waiting to be built when it said that. I had an overseer and workers all sitting in their houses refusing to get the basat statues and bricks weren't the issue. That's when I decided to use the editor to cheat. But I got bored of that so now I'm building a area that I will be able to have a beautiful but small city.

I'm making a sandbox, using all the research I did when I made a Hades prefab area for NVN2. I can't figure out the triggers yet. Tried to make one for more villagers when thier numbers got low but it didn't work.
Last edited by cat pole on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Hmm statues. They can be a problem, yes.

Several things are needed in order to get a statue built, and it sounds like you know all those. But you need:

A statue base built, with enough bricks delivered, and the base built to 50% by a bricklayer.

Then you need an appropriately-sized statue quarried by the laborers. To get that, you must have an overseer dedicated to "quarry basalt statues" or to do all jobs. I recommend the specific assignment, as it works much better. Once that overseer is set to do that, he will go to the quarry and trigger the quarrying of four small statues and one large statue. Then laborers must go and quarry each item. Once they're quarried, you need four laborers to pull it out of the quarry and into the staging area. Then you have statues available, and not before.

Once that is true, you need an overseer set to "oversee construction." (This can be the same guy is before, if you change his job after the statues are quarried, but it's ultimately better to have one of each.)

Once you have a statue base built to 50% and an appropriately-sized statue available, the "construction" overseer will go to the statue site and call for the statue.

Then four laborers to haul the statue from the quarry to the statue base and install it (not necessarily the same four that hauled the statue out of the quarry, but they might get assigned that way).

Once the statue is installed on the base, you must have an overseer set to oversee construction (the same guy is fine), who will go to the site (or stay there if he's already there and has nowhere else to go) and call for a stone carver.

Then you need an available stone carver who will come to the site and carve the stone, building the statue from 50% to 100% complete.

If along that path there are any snags, things won't happen. Possible snags:

• The quarry is on the other side of the river from the statue base, and there are not barge landings on both sides of the river which extend into the deep part of the river. If this is true, there is no path to take the statue from the quarry to the base, and no one will do anything.
  • There is no overseer set to quarry statues or oversee construction. The absence of either will cause a stoppage of work.
  • Not enough laborers to haul a statue. 4 are required.
  • No stone carvers in the city.
  • Dissatisfaction. This can cause a lot of problems, because if you have only 4 laborers in the city, and one is protesting, nothing will get done. The other 3 guys will go to the statue and stand there until it's time to go home. Same thing is true if one of the overseers or the stone carver is protesting or has moved out of his house.
You said "I had an overseer and workers all sitting in their houses refusing to get the basat statues and bricks weren't the issue." That tells me that you have one of these issues:

• No appropriately-sized statues available
  • No path for the statue from the quarry to the build site
  • No overseer set to oversee construction, so any available statues aren't being queued to go to the build site
  • Bugged statue base, which can occasionally happen on the original game I think. Have you patched yours to the latest version?
If none of these sound like the problem, post a copy of a game save and we'll check it out.

cat pole

Postby cat pole » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:45 pm

"Yahya" wrote:Hmm statues. They can be a problem, yes.

Several things are needed in order to get a statue built, and it sounds like you know all those. But you need:

A statue base built, with enough bricks delivered, and the base built to 50% by a bricklayer.

Then you need an appropriately-sized statue quarried by the laborers. To get that, you must have an overseer dedicated to "quarry basalt statues" or to do all jobs. I recommend the specific assignment, as it works much better. Once that overseer is set to do that, he will go to the quarry and trigger the quarrying of four small statues and one large statue. Then laborers must go and quarry each item. Once they're quarried, you need four laborers to pull it out of the quarry and into the staging area. Then you have statues available, and not before.

Once that is true, you need an overseer set to "oversee construction." (This can be the same guy is before, if you change his job after the statues are quarried, but it's ultimately better to have one of each.)

Once you have a statue base built to 50% and an appropriately-sized statue available, the "construction" overseer will go to the statue site and call for the statue.

Then four laborers to haul the statue from the quarry to the statue base and install it (not necessarily the same four that hauled the statue out of the quarry, but they might get assigned that way).

Once the statue is installed on the base, you must have an overseer set to oversee construction (the same guy is fine), who will go to the site (or stay there if he's already there and has nowhere else to go) and call for a stone carver.

Then you need an available stone carver who will come to the site and carve the stone, building the statue from 50% to 100% complete.

If along that path there are any snags, things won't happen. Possible snags:

• The quarry is on the other side of the river from the statue base, and there are not barge landings on both sides of the river which extend into the deep part of the river. If this is true, there is no path to take the statue from the quarry to the base, and no one will do anything.
  • There is no overseer set to quarry statues or oversee construction. The absence of either will cause a stoppage of work.
  • Not enough laborers to haul a statue. 4 are required.
  • No stone carvers in the city.
  • Dissatisfaction. This can cause a lot of problems, because if you have only 4 laborers in the city, and one is protesting, nothing will get done. The other 3 guys will go to the statue and stand there until it's time to go home. Same thing is true if one of the overseers or the stone carver is protesting or has moved out of his house.
You said "I had an overseer and workers all sitting in their houses refusing to get the basat statues and bricks weren't the issue." That tells me that you have one of these issues:

• No appropriately-sized statues available
  • No path for the statue from the quarry to the build site
  • No overseer set to oversee construction, so any available statues aren't being queued to go to the build site
  • Bugged statue base, which can occasionally happen on the original game I think. Have you patched yours to the latest version?
If none of these sound like the problem, post a copy of a game save and we'll check it out.

I had 15 laborers, 2 stonecarvers, and 3 overseers, one quarrying basat statues, one building pyraminds (sp?), and one set for statue construction. Several completed statues, two large statues bases built and 3 or 4 small statue bases built, (brick base bulit). I could count 14 statues inside the quarry just sitting there waiting to be pulled out. When I clicked on the statue base I got a red materials not available.

Do quarrys run dry because the top layer was gone and half of the second layer was empty?

The other thing I was doing was destorying the statue if it built facing the wrong way, putting it down agian turned a differnt way, and I had to destory and rebuild the temple because I changed my mind on the god. So I had a basast staue laying in the city with no where to go because I had destroyed the temple before they put the statue up.

I wish I had that save to post but I use the same save slots for the all the games. The saves are now my sandbox area and I'm using the world map for all construction materials. I even put some bricks so I don't have to wait so long for more bricks when the brick makers run out of bricks.

I'm having troubles with the priests in the sandbox because I put them too close (3 block radius) and their shrines too far away from the other priest. So now they walk 2 blocks to take care of the other's shrines and can't keep 14 shrines open between the 2 of them.

I have the steam version with alexandria.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:57 am

Okay, if you have the Alexandria version, then you have the latest patch, so that is definitely not the problem.

Post your latest save anyway, and I'll look at those priests.

cat pole

Postby cat pole » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:59 am

I hope I got the file attached right.

The map is still in progress and it has been changed a little, (I made the road white and took off some village hovels) in the editor so it's not the same as my saved game.

The only thing that's done is the world map. I have a high brick start so I can get the city going fast for testing purposes. This is the save from playing my created map.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cat pole on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

cat pole

Postby cat pole » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:08 am

This is my created map if you need it to look at the save.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Howdy, cat pole!

First of all, you don't really need to post the .scn file with a problem .ank game save. The .scn is included in the save (one of the reasons game saves are so large).

Second, I don't see your posted problem with basalt statues in this game save. Perhaps I mis-read the posts above. Everything looks fine!

except! <you knew there would be one of these>

I would suggest you make your maps quite a bit smaller, cuz when cities get higher populations, many player's computers will lag like a dog. 150 x 150 is a good sized map or perhaps one step larger max.

Have fun! :)

cat pole

Postby cat pole » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:22 am

Hi Tinkerbell.

The basalt save was saved over because I use the same save slots.

This save is the priests not being able to keep the shrines open because they're walking to tend to the other priest's shrines.

I even caught one of the other priests tending a shrine and I want that priest to do healthcare, funeral, and school.

The 2 that are set to tend gods are doing a really lousy job of tending the shrines.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38 am

I didn't run your save for very long, but your Admin Report was fine ~ No Red Alerts.

Perhaps you are expecting perfection, when COTN is a "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" game. No society will have everyone happy all the time, some will always grumble. Realism is the Bilss of COTN. People get mad & they get over it with time.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

cat pole

Postby cat pole » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:35 am

I have funeral complaints and that worries me.

I'm on my 3rd pharaoh and I had the tombs built before the first one died. No pharaoh has been burried. I didn't take a hit to my prestige even though 2died and weren't burried.

I've had overseers and commanders leave when they were in the green and only 2 red in their complaint list. When anybody gets a orange with 2 reds, they leave the city soon after.

I'd prefer the people to not leave.

Eta. I have to leave, we are ready to start watching V.
Last edited by cat pole on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:16 am

You have to remember that the satisfactin icons reflect problems in the past, which may not exist at the time you check them.

For funeral problems, you need a mortuary staffed by a priest, an available mastaba or some other tomb would be good.

Mortuaries will store the mummies until there is a tomb available.

You should build a small mastaba as soon as you get your brickmakers and bricklayers up and running. This allows the damage to prestige due to a sudden early death of a pharaoh to a minimum.

Use that first priest to setup a school, then the rest of the graduates as priests for religion, healthcare and mortuary followed by the rest as scribes and commanders and extra priests.

Your scribes, priests, commanders, nobles, and the royal family all need luxury shops along with common shops. If you shops are constantly low on goods, you may have to build more because the demand is too great for the ones you have. Adding servants help keep the nobles happy as do entertainers.

As soon as I build my first four noble townhouses, I build a entertainer, law court, gardner, luxury shops, common shops and about six servant huts in the immediate area. I'll then work in some healthcare and the mortuary as the graduates allow and that I have the bricks for. All these are arranged near the noble townhouses or a short distance from them.

I do this in a short period of time so I always start a new city with a good number of brickmakers, about 10, at least, and a set of four or more bricklayers. I place a bakery near the brickmakers and bricklayers so they don't have go far for food.

I want to get my nobles comfortable enough right away so that they can control the maximum number of farms they are capable of and so that they can throw feasts that entertain the priests, scribes, and commanders (that's this group's entertainment.) Nobles only tend to throw feasts when their homes have become luxury townhouse level and they have access to all those other items above.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:35 pm

Bah! I forgot to come back and look at your save then, cat pole! So sorry! :o :eek:

It looks like you've been well taken care of however.

Return to “Editing”