Custom World Map Problem

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Darkspire

Custom World Map Problem

Postby Darkspire » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:32 pm

I have got most of the editor functions (I have used it before in its original incarnation in Empire Earth) but the world map is one that seems to elude me. I do not have access to Photoshop but I have used DDS Convertor for years and it has always got the results but I can not seem to use it to make a custom world map.

I followed the instructions on this postCustom World Maps and set all the options as instructed but when I select the map in the editor COTN crashes.

I made an an image 1024x768, resized the canvas to 1024x1024, making sure the image was centered at the top of the canvas, selected the blank (transparent) part of the image, inverted it and saved the selection to the alpha channel then saved it it in PSD format using PSP9.

Now, using the DDS plugin, convert your file to DDS format, with the following options:

-ARGB8888 (Alpha, Red, Green, Blue - 8 bits per channel)
-DXT3 Compression format
-Single MIP level

Below are the options I have set up for the conversion from the DDS Convertor.

Darkspire

Last edited by Darkspire on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 am

Hi Darkspire,

It looks like you've done everything correctly, but I remember that it is tricky to get this to work until you figure it out. I can't see what's wrong from your settings and I don't have CotN installed to duplicate it.

I suggest trying the steps in my CotN Scenario Designer's Manual, because I expanded a bit on the instructions you linked, and I might have overcome some crashes.

Darkspire

Postby Darkspire » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks for the reply, your manual entry is nowhere near as comprehensive as the instructions you provided in the post though, that's why I had a search on here for other threads, I had already read the manual. Real shame that they made it so tricky to implement a new map. I shall just keep trying permutations and see if I can find a solution, if I do I will post it here so others can use the information.

Darkspire

Return to “Editing”