"hard code" modding

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Armond

"hard code" modding

Postby Armond » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:34 am

is there any way to edit the "hard code" of CotN?

I only ask because I wish to change the replenish rate of rush and papyrus, increase the number of educated works I can have, maybe reduce the rate at which prestige is lost, and remove/change the population limit. those few things have limited the size of many of my cities and changing them would allow CotN to enter a much more "Grand" city stage.

Please help.
Last edited by Armond on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:21 am

Hi Armond,

Natural resources like papyrus and rushes aren't hard coded. They are manually placed by the map designer using the editor. If you open a game save using the editor you can place as many of these items as you like.

This will have other effects, however, such as how many of certain shops are stocked and so on, but it doesn't matter that much.

The maximum number of educated workers is controlled in the file cotn.ini, if I recall correctly. The prestige loss might be in there also, but someone else can verify this (I don't have the game installed now).

Finally, I don't believe there is a population limit, but rather it is limited by the number of villagers you have. If you are running against a seeming population cap, usually it means you have run out of villager huts, and they replenish very slowly from immigrants and children of farmers (I believe).

You can correct for this by adding more villager huts in the editor or building more slowly so the villagers have a chance to reproduce faster than you are using them up by placing farms.

Can you give us some statistics on your city size when you're running against these limits? How many nobles and farmers do you have? Those two numbers will give us an idea what's limiting you and we can make some specific suggestions.

Armond

Postby Armond » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:13 am

thanks Yahya for the quick reply

I know that resources can be placed using the editor but the rate that they replenish after harvesting is hardcoded. (my guess is that info is in the dbResourceHarvestSites.dat or the dbresources.dat.)
Resources as well as many other features of the game are in those dat files. I know that you can edit these files since someone made the "Prestige level x4" and the "Speedy Walkers" mods.

"Prestige level x4" did take care of my educated workers problem giving me 140 at max prestige. So no more worries there.

I have read about the villagers breeding aspect of population growth. I will have to try loading my save game with the editor and adding huts.

As for the ini file its more or less junk. letting you do very little to the game and mostly just graphics or display related controls. No real in game "Rules" modding there.

As for the numbers in my game i don't know and my gaming pc is down until i replace the video card. :mad:

I kind of stopped playing the game when my resource harvest sites ran dry....nothing kills a city faster than "unsustainable environmental degradation to the point collapse" i.e. running out of reeds and rush. lol :p
Thanks

Armond

Postby Armond » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:48 pm

No help from anyone on this? I wish Tilted would just give up the "goods" on editing the dat files. If Tilted isn't going to do anything more with this great game then let the hardcore fans. :mad:
I think it's safe to say that after 10 years it's very unlikely there will be a CotN 2.
In what way would Tilted be hurt by letting fans have more freedom with the game? If nothing else they could gain from it by having a "rework competition". The winning mods could be sold as expansions or even be used as the core for a CotN 2.
Last edited by Armond on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:21 am

Can you link any screenshots of your city? I'd like to get a look at it.

How many resources is your city using? I'm interested to see what you're running up against.

Return to “Editing”