retiring soldiers ?

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Jytte

retiring soldiers ?

Postby Jytte » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:22 pm

So, I worked up a big world map. Now a want to add a 'foreign legion' designated to take the soldiers I don't want anymore. Thing is I might want/need a large army to beat misc enemies, but after relative peace has settled on the lands, I only need a small army. I can't imagine Pharao entirely without an army, but it doesn't have to be that big.

Soon as you raze the barracks, around half of the soldiers in them emigrate or become villagers, but the rest unfortunately become vagrants. That's all you need ! Dozens if not hundreds of armed and trained ex-soldiers running around as vagrants in your previously peaceful city :( Yea, I know they loose their weapons, but all the same. By the time you're ready to dismiss all or part of your army, you're probably also more or less built up on the farms you want/need, plus not all soldiers or other vagrants seem to care to become farmers, so what to do?

So, I thought a world site that would take them off my hands in specified numbers would be a nice idea. The only neat way I can see to get rid of them for good, is to kill them off, ooops, sorry, move them to the foreign legion, while off map. Immediately when they leave, you can raze the barracks you choose to get rid of, so they don't fill up with volunteers again. Problem is, I can't get them to LEAVE the nome unless I send them off 'to war', which means the site has to be an 'enemy site', which again is a bit messy.

Bright ideas anybody?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

texasmine

Re: retiring soldiers ?

Postby texasmine » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:31 pm

Although I have no idea how to accomplish this, WHAT A CLEVER IDEA.

prof786

Postby prof786 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:50 pm

you can build new homes for priests, scribes, crafts, overseers, etc. to move farmers out of existing houses so that vagrants can move in. it's a slow process and you may still have a handful of vagrants left but it's a sure way to move people to new homes.

also, i wonder if you can directly make vagrants as laborers who work at monuments.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:38 am

The natural growth of the city during 'build up time' takes care of regular vagrants that pop up from time to time if I fire somebody or they don't succeed at what they're doing. But a huge amount of dismissed soldiers can't be handled in that fashion, plus this will usually happen at the 'end of things' when you've already built up your city, and are in to the 'decorating phase'. It does work with an 'enemy site' for this though, just had to fiddle with the setup and triggers a bit to get it to look right. This is so much fun :D
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “Editing”