peculiar happenings

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Jytte

peculiar happenings

Postby Jytte » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 pm

So, now that I'm here, I'll post a question that's been on my mind lately. Hoping that someone might still be looking in on this forum.

A while back I made myself a nice big sandbox scenario, with a very full world level. Only for some reason it kept screwing up the water trade. So I set them all to land, and it worked, except it bothered me not having any ships arriving.

So started playing again recently, and didn't want to fiddle with the old scenario as it wasn't quite working. So I picked up 'Son of Ra', added some world sites that I need to get new scribes, priests etc etc. Works like a charm.

Then I picked up my old map (from a save BEFORE I ever touched world level), and added the World level from 'my son of Ra'. I works, except I have had some peculiar happenings. I have raiders - reveals city - reveals fort - reveals nubian depot and so forth....... except soon as raiders was defeated (dead), all other enemy sites were revealed all at once. HUH? And I also get some occasional messages that my gold and copper traders didn't get their bread.... WHILE I'm sitting there watching the mules first drop the gold or copper, then pick up their bread, time and time again, with or without 'error messages' HUH?

So, is it possible to have a screw up somewhere in creating a MAP, that will put bugs in an otherwise well functioning world level?????????? That makes no sense to me.

I remember making that big map, it took a LOOOOOONG time, was a LOT of work. Now I'm planning another with some nice harbours. BUT.... the fear of spending endless hours creating a map, just to find out there's a bug somewhere.... not motivating. And there's no telling if it will work until after you've done all the work.

Anyone have any input?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Re: peculiar happenings

Postby Yahya » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:24 am

In the original version of CotN, there was a bug that sometimes caused weird issues with water trade, preventing the trade ships from ever properly docking. At some point that was patched, so you most likely don't have that issue. If you don't have it on other maps, we can rule that out.

If it's just the one map, and it seems tied to the world map, then there's an error in there that's somehow causing the problem. I'd have to look at it to see what's up, but I don't have CotN installed right now.

Same thing with the world map issue where opening one site revealed all the others. That would have to be a trigger issue.

To your question if an error in creating the map would cause problems with a world level that works with other maps, the answer is yes. The map can have pathing issues that prevent traders from functioning correctly; they'll get stuck sometimes for half a year and then walk back out of town and you'll get the message that they couldn't trade. If you're getting the message that they didn't get their bread, that can mean they missed only one shipment out of 10. CotNizens will complain about anything. :D

I suggest with your new map you start small and test often. Map your map with just the river (the river can be a nightmare) and a world level with one trader site. Play with it until you find a way to break it. That'll help you figure out what, if anything, you're doing wrong.

Also, I get email notifications of every post here, so I tend to answer within a day or two. I believe Keith still reads, as well. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. :)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks again Yahya,

meanwhile, thinking back, I used the windowed format to set up world level, in order to copy and paste text that I already had in a spreadsheet. That caused crashed frequently. And, even I went back to previously saved, I think some of the problems stem from that. I'll NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. From now on it's typing the text. Although, I should be ok in copy and pasting some text from one site to another (within the world), shouldn't I ??

I have a brand new city with a couple of real harbours in mind, and I'm all fired up about making a new scenario now. This time around I'll be very very careful.

I've started a new world level, with just an empty map. I will then create a small map with just a river and a few basic things. As I go along in the world level file and add things, I'll go to my test map, import the world, and test everything out. Category by category. Once that is done, I should have a complete and functioning wold level, that I can import to any new map I create.

In creating my new map for the new scenario, I'll do the river, harbours and any elevations I might need, testing every step of the way that 'river is ok'.

Once that is done, I'll make a copy for testing, import my world, and again test that the basics from world level is running ok. By then I can be certain that the map is ok, right?

Only then will I start the enormously time consuming task of decorating, and adding villagers and resources.

Does that sound like a plan? Did I miss something?

Also, I tried to set email notification up for myself, but didn't succeed.
Edit: never mind, figured it out
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:26 pm

I think copying and pasting shouldn't be a problem, but the CotN editor is notoriously buggy and prone to crashes. It was improved with the patches, but it's still occasionally problematic.

Yes, your plan sounds pretty good.

I start with the map and make the river. Get the terrain the way I want it and make sure all the flood stages work properly.

Then start on the world map and test all the triggers.

Once all the mechanics are done, I do the decorating, as you said.

I'm a little confused about your phrase "import the world." I haven't made a scenario in a long time, but I don't remember doing any importing. I think the world map is created within the scenario editing. But it's been a long time, and I've gotten older. :D

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:07 pm

We're all getting older :lol:

If I have a nice world level I want to use again, I can import it into another map or new map, that's what I meant.

That's real nice once you've created a nice and big world level. Sadly only the sites gets imported, triggers do not..... that was a nasty surprise for me the first time, I always seem to have many many triggers, and that's a lot of typing, and lots of opportunities to mess up :(

EDIT:
now hang on a minute.... it just occurs to me that I could just open a functioning scenario with all triggers and trims.... and then go to the map tab, and create a new map.... if I wanted a new map with all the same functions of the world etc DUH :roll:
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “Editing”