editor limits

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Jytte

editor limits

Postby Jytte » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:12 am

When I run out of steam in scenario creating, I chew my way though posts here in editing...
A few minutes ago, I came upon this: (from June 2005)

Our expierience :

The editor excepts 999 entries in every category and he ignores

- triggers after number 511 (without error message during the editing process and playing)

- conditions after number 511 (without error message during the editing process and playing)

- effects after number 255 (without error message during the editing process and with error message during the game <Crash to Desktop>)

- objects (ListItems of course) after number 255 (without error message during the editing process and with error message during the game <freezing>)

- areas after 127 (without error message during the editing process and with error message during the game)

On the worldlevel he accepts 127 objects plus 63 enemysites.

Of course we can only report our experiences using the trial and error method. And, who needs 511 triggers ?

And it's time for a little more information and a little patch to the editor.

ahk-horus

worldlevel accepting 127 + 63? I always heard (seen) 90 total.... if above correct, that's real good news

but!! Effects capped at 255 ??? NOOOOOOO this can't be true, can it?

My scenario has 277 effects (give or take a miscount or two) because I have a LOT of (vital) messages, and because I have 87 triggers, most of which I wanted OFF to avoid lag, but then forcing me to have a ton of 'turn on/off trigger'.
I have only typed in about 60 of them so far, but I'd hate to get to 255 and not be able to add more, or worse, set everything in motion to find it ignored / crash :o

If the 255 limit stands, I'm royally screwed.... what on earth do I do now???

Anybody have any experience with these numbers ???
Last edited by Jytte on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Re: editor limits

Postby Jytte » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:18 am

Well, I just tested the city level.... I had 88 sites, added 2 more, fine... started 91 and got an immediate error message 'list too long'.
So 90 it is, and the above part is bogus.

Remains to figure out how I test the rest of it, without actually building a scenario that big, that would take way more time than I have.

EDIT:
and, as it turns out, that is very easy to do. As you enter an new effect (or anything) it automatically gives it a new number consecutively. I had seen that before of course, but not paid attention to it, as I always rename my entries. So just hit 'new' till I got to <effect 280>, and that one I put a message in, then a looping trigger to send me that message, and off to testing. In play it runs juts fine, no problems whatsoever.

In other words, the entire list above is complete bogus. And thank you very much ahk-horus, whoever you are, for scaring the daylights out of me.
Last edited by Jytte on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:44 pm

If I had been in on this game way back when, I would have known not to worry....

I was reading through the editor manual to see if there was something on cameras, and noticed Yahya's remark about 'TheKeep' (thank you Yahya!), so went in here and looked for it. Luckily it was easy to find (http://tiltedmill.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12568), AND it's hosted on the author's own website, so downloadable (thank you Karter!!!)

So, I just had a peek at the inside of TheKeep-scenario... holy cow! 780 effects I believe it is, and so much more. This is gonna be fun to study. In comparison my scenario is tiny.

And I'll never worry about limits any more :lol:
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:02 am

Yes, Karter is one of the Masters. :D

A lot of that editor's manual came from work that he did.

Return to “Editing”