building check

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Jytte

building check

Postby Jytte » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:52 am

Here I go again, shouting to the wind, hoping somebody will hear me.....

I need to run a 'building check', as in 'is there a building in this area'. This area HAS to be 'buildable' for my own purposes, but I cannot allow a player to build there. So, I know I can check for individual buildings, but as there are almost 40 of them I'd need to check, that would be nice to avoid. I'm looking for the option 'A building (any building) exists in area', which of course doesn't exist :( I could of course just tell the player not to, and trust that they won't, but I'd like there to be consequences if they do it anyway.

Anybody, anybody at all, have any bright ideas how to get around all this footwork? Just in case I missed something, my brain is rather fried at the moment.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Re: building check

Postby Yahya » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:17 am

I believe you can define a zone or area on the map, and you can periodically run an event that destroys any structure in the area.

If so, you could create an event that wreaks havoc on the city, perhaps an earthquake or something, that only destroys structures in that area.
Last edited by Yahya on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 am

I do have a defined area, unfortunately there is no such thing as 'a structure' or 'any structure', only specifics.
I already went the long way around for checking, as I had no choice. But I had to run through a list of 41 objects for checking. Just seems there ought to be a more elegant (and easier) way of doing this. Actually haven't REALLY done it yet, as I write a scenario outside of CotN first, once it's all said and done, it gets written into the editor. That's the really boring part, and requires a lot of precision.

This scenario is really testing the limitations between what I WANNA do, and what's possible. Just ran into another 'can't remove this' problem. Had that in Ramses already. You can't remove anything that isn't in the 'player list'. If you can put it in play, I can remove it. Not so with editor specific items. Grrrrrr. Actually if I 'create it' first I might, but that won't work either, because that runs up against another peculiarity. EVERY item you put on map with triggers face in the same direction. REALLY annoying. I tried different things with critters, as they point 'in the wrong direction'. I can create them, then have them move to some spot (where they then turn the right way), but when frozen they 'run in place', which looks even more ridiculous. Back to square one. I actually had to create part of the map around that peculiarity.

I wanted an instance of camera focusing on palace... sounds easy enough. Until I realized that I would have to check for 4 times different palaces, multiplied with the number of possible positions a player would have placed a palace, each and every one requiring own cameras, scripts etc. As I counted up the required amount of triggers etc needed, I went 'naaaaa, don't really need that' :o Funny enough, I saw Karter had started with similar objects, and I guess he came to the same conclusion, cuzz they're unused.

You get really good at 'finding other ways' :lol:
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:38 am

LOL, yes, this is all true.

There are some serious limitation to this editor, mostly because it was built for a much more simple game. Some things were added, but our imaginations quickly got ahead of what was possible. 14 years later, the gaming community has even more ideas. :)

atatnall

Postby atatnall » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:14 am

14 years. I am still playing and, just recently, trying to build scenarios. Anyone else?

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:00 am

I'm here. :lol:

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:17 am

So am I :D Long time no see.
But then, I'm a 'newbie', not a veteran, only been at it since 2015 *giggling*
What happened to your scenario idea, Yahya?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:57 pm

I am not sure I follow what you are trying to do. Correct me if I am wrong. I think you want a certain area where you can place a building, or buildings, and once placed, no one else can place anything in that area? They would still be able to delete your building, with consequences, but are still not able to build anything where those building were originally place or the specified area around them?

If the above is correct, there is a simple way to do this. Let me know.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:21 pm

RJG, that was a long time ago, and long since solved, I think it was when I was working on 'Murder in Swenet'.

What I wanted was simply to deny access to some or all buildings to a certain area, which I do/did by listing all perceivable buildings in cotn (a royal pain), and that works fine. What I was looking for was an easier/more elegant way of doing this. If there was such a thing as 'any structure' my life would be easier, as I frequently find myself wanting to deny access to this or that area :)
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Jytte, Sorry, I should have looked at the date of your original post. I saw 12-12-18 on your last post and just assumed it was recent. Anyway, glad you figured it out.

All this talk about creating scenarios has got me thinking...……….

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Well, thinking is good... comes before action usually.... join the fray! :lol:
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:36 pm

I'm working on a scenario as well right now... sort of Ramses-style, only a bit smaller. We need more scenarios !
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Jytte wrote:What happened to your scenario idea, Yahya?

Which one? :lol:

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:17 pm

Well, only you would know that :)
Back in april or may you were thinking about a continuation of sand wars? Or was that just a tease?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:20 pm

How about a little competition? Who will be the next/first to put out a scenario?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:57 am

Jytte wrote:Well, only you would know that :)
Back in april or may you were thinking about a continuation of sand wars? Or was that just a tease?

Oh, yeah. Sand Wars was originally supposed to be 6 episodes, because, well, that's how long ago I started Sand Wars. :D

I flipped a coin and decided to do the first 3 episodes first, rather than the second 3. So Episodes IV, V, and VI have been on my list for like 10 years.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Well, then, what are you waiting for? Have you forgotten just how much fun it is to build scenarios? Especially nowadays, where our PCs can handle more.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:30 pm

I'm back to writing about a famous, and one of my favorite, Pharaohs :) It's been on the back-burner for quite some time, but it's written already, and I'm making a map now, so it won't be long before it's ready.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Last week I also came across my notes with plans to create a Pharaoh-style rating system for CotN.

That might be fun to work on soon.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:03 pm

What do you mean by 'Pharaoh-style rating system' ??
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “Editing”