building check

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Jytte

building check

Postby Jytte » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:52 am

Here I go again, shouting to the wind, hoping somebody will hear me.....

I need to run a 'building check', as in 'is there a building in this area'. This area HAS to be 'buildable' for my own purposes, but I cannot allow a player to build there. So, I know I can check for individual buildings, but as there are almost 40 of them I'd need to check, that would be nice to avoid. I'm looking for the option 'A building (any building) exists in area', which of course doesn't exist :( I could of course just tell the player not to, and trust that they won't, but I'd like there to be consequences if they do it anyway.

Anybody, anybody at all, have any bright ideas how to get around all this footwork? Just in case I missed something, my brain is rather fried at the moment.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Re: building check

Postby Yahya » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:17 am

I believe you can define a zone or area on the map, and you can periodically run an event that destroys and structure in the area.

If so, you could create an event that wreaks havoc on the city, perhaps an earthquake or something, that only destroys structures in that area.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 am

I do have a defined area, unfortunately there is no such thing as 'a structure' or 'any structure', only specifics.
I already went the long way around for checking, as I had no choice. But I had to run through a list of 41 objects for checking. Just seems there ought to be a more elegant (and easier) way of doing this. Actually haven't REALLY done it yet, as I write a scenario outside of CotN first, once it's all said and done, it gets written into the editor. That's the really boring part, and requires a lot of precision.

This scenario is really testing the limitations between what I WANNA do, and what's possible. Just ran into another 'can't remove this' problem. Had that in Ramses already. You can't remove anything that isn't in the 'player list'. If you can put it in play, I can remove it. Not so with editor specific items. Grrrrrr. Actually if I 'create it' first I might, but that won't work either, because that runs up against another peculiarity. EVERY item you put on map with triggers face in the same direction. REALLY annoying. I tried different things with critters, as they point 'in the wrong direction'. I can create them, then have them move to some spot (where they then turn the right way), but when frozen they 'run in place', which looks even more ridiculous. Back to square one. I actually had to create part of the map around that peculiarity.

I wanted an instance of camera focusing on palace... sounds easy enough. Until I realized that I would have to check for 4 times different palaces, multiplied with the number of possible positions a player would have placed a palace, each and every one requiring own cameras, scripts etc. As I counted up the required amount of triggers etc needed, I went 'naaaaa, don't really need that' :o Funny enough, I saw Karter had started with similar objects, and I guess he came to the same conclusion, cuzz they're unused.

You get really good at 'finding other ways' :lol:
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:38 am

LOL, yes, this is all true.

There are some serious limitation to this editor, mostly because it was built for a much more simple game. Some things were added, but our imaginations quickly got ahead of what was possible. 14 years later, the gaming community has even more ideas. :)

Return to “Editing”