We're Goin' Fishin'

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Matt Zimmitti

We're Goin' Fishin'

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:20 pm

Hey gang,

I've just gotten word that I'm supposed to make a new scenario and I thought to myself, what better way to guide the peeps on this forum than to walk them through the process? So then, we're going to the whole "teach someone to fish" routine.

So here is the deal... over the weekend, during the moments when you are not in a turkey coma (or going about your regular affairs if you aren't from the states), think of some things you would like to see explained in the editor. Also, post any hypothetical stuff you would like to see in a scenario. On Monday, I'll go through this thread and try to fold in as much input as possible into a cohesive design and we'll go from there. From that point, I'll post a daily(ish) thread explaining something I've done in the scenario and I'll post the file in its current state so you guys can pick it apart.

Now for the disclaimers and auxiliary info... (yay :) )

-This is going to be a sandbox scenario so please don't post a screenplay with crazy plot twists and a surprise ending. We need to keep this limited to what features you would like explained. If you have a great idea for a plot, horde it for yourself and use it to make your own scenario (then post it and be the envy of all of your friends). This will primarily be a technical "exercise".

-To contradict myself as swiftly as possible... this is not an "exercise". I am actually making this scenario because my seniors here have tasked me with doing so. Please understand that things we hoped to get in may get cut due to time constraints.

-I'll try to get as much of your input into the initial design as possible, but some stuff just won't make it in. Please don't take it personally if I do not include a suggested feature. I'll do my best to explain why I'm including some stuff and not including other stuff. If something doesn't make it into this scenario, that doesn't mean it'll never get covered in the future.

Whew, now that all that business is taken care of (are we having fun yet :rolleyes: ), please post what you would like to see explained in THIS THREAD. I'm planning on reading through THIS THREAD to figure out what I'll be explaining through the scenario creation process, so if it's not in THIS THREAD I might miss it.

Let's have at it!

FieryDove

Postby FieryDove » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:28 pm

Matt Zimmitti wrote:Hey gang,

Whew, now that all that business is taken care of (are we having fun yet :rolleyes: ), please post what you would like to see explained in THIS THREAD. I'm planning on reading through THIS THREAD to figure out what I'll be explaining through the scenario creation process, so if it's not in THIS THREAD I might miss it.

Let's have at it!

Which thread? No links! Bah...I can go look myself...hehe

Matt Zimmitti

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:30 pm

No, I mean this thread right here. The one you are reading right now.

dreamsoftwilight

Postby dreamsoftwilight » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:32 pm

I think Matt meant this thread that we are posting in at this very moment. :p

FieryDove

Postby FieryDove » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:39 pm

Matt Zimmitti wrote:No, I mean this thread right here. The one you are reading right now.

Ack...I need sleep...going to take a nap. I see bold and think hyperlink. lol

OT:
"some things you would like to see explained in the editor"

Triggers, triggers and triggers...a few written examples would do wonders.

"Also, post any hypothetical stuff you would like to see in a scenario."

Oh...Lot's of trading...very intertwined...Must trade this and this to get *this* to trade with that city. Etc.

I prefer the non-combat maps, but many would probably disagree...maybe make it optional?

Thanks for listening.
Cheers,
FD

dreamsoftwilight

Postby dreamsoftwilight » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:58 pm

Lots of trading I agree,

Make sure there are enough sites to put down warves and quays and stuff, that was a big problem, having two spots in a map, and none of them near the city...

Resources! Dont put them ALL on the map like in Voice of Sobek, leave some off map.

Keep basalt quarries on the map... I like having those local instead of having to do the large quarry/small quarry thing. :)

Innovan

Postby Innovan » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:25 pm

Some requests:

How to modify a geo-map so that warfs can be built.
How to control the number of warf/shipwright areas that can be used on a map and where players may place them.
How to control the number of crop fields a player will have on a map and their location.

A rule of thumb on how many acacia trees are need for an army requirement. For a scenario with 30 spear man and 15 archers that will keep being sent out a lot, how many acacia trees and leather sources should we make sure are nearby so the player can actually fufill the goal?

When placing down resources for the common/luxury merchants to gather to make their goods, are there any particular resources that tend to run out quickly that we should make sure we don't starve players on?

How many pomegranate/date trees should we place per villager so they don't starve to death?

Is it possible to keep a scenario placed building from being destroyed by the player?

sitearm

@Matt... Something further to do with all those troops...

Postby sitearm » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:22 am

Matt: Adding to your scenario design, or "for later": Is there a way to have a lot of locations on the map that you can "conquer" with troops AFTER you've already won the success screen? And if conquered, the locations become trading partners? Or if left alone the locations do nothing (OR perhaps raid you occasionally)?

I'm not asking how to code but if it can. And if yes, perhaps can you include a few in the new scenario you're working.

Reason I ask is that in military scenarios like Abu, once you win, the only things left on the world map are trade or supply places to open. Would be fun to have something further to conquer, attack, win over with all those troops, now that you've invested in them. :D

angelisis

Postby angelisis » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:33 am

a make your own map with editor for dummies...like me :p

i look at that thing and think "wow I am not touching editor way to complicated"

make it easy for me....please....

imhotep3147

Postby imhotep3147 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:38 pm

I would also like to know about the number of resource sources (*snorts*) needed for a certain amount of CotNizens. As was suggested, how many pomegranate trees, general guidelines would be acceptable not necessarily hard numbers (we know you guys hate those :D ).

Thanks a bunch and BTW cool idea incorporating a lesson in editing and your work assignment all in one. :D

homegrown

Postby homegrown » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:41 pm

I'd like to have about 4 or 5 really diverse goals. Maybe one that's a trigger to later events.

I'd like to see something that sets a Limit to the number of XXX workers you can have. "Only 6 priests have chosen to follow you in your quest."

Can we set up Prestige to be a trigger to allow building certain buildings? "Before you can begin raising an army (hire a commander/soldiers/weapons), you have to have accumulated XX Prestige.

Can we allow construction of the various monuments to increase over time? Pharaoh I would only be allowed to build small mastabas and small statues, but Pharaoh X would be able to build the Great Pyramid. Some other criteria? Population? You can only build a Cult Temple when you have x families, priests, regular temples?

There was an incredibly difficult Pharaoh scenario where you could only conduct water trade during the flood because it was the only time Nile was navigatable to the only barge sites available. And if the flood failed, well... no trade that year, in addition to your Hapi problems. :eek:

I'm trying really hard to get this machine working with the game again. I hope to be back with it in another week or so. It's driving me crazy wanting to do all this stuff and I can't get the stupid game to load. :(
Last edited by homegrown on Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maatkaamun

Postby Maatkaamun » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:28 pm

Since this is to be a sandbox, without goals, I'll just second the "how many resources needed to not screw players" request.

I'm sure most of my unknown questions (I haven't delved deeply into the editor yet) will be answered by this and previous threads. I'm really looking forward to reading it. :D

Matt Zimmitti

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:46 pm

Looking over everyone’s input, here’s what we will shoot for:

-Lots of trade, intertwined
-Optional combat including sites that serve as trade partners once defeated
-Good resource balance (lux/common resources for crafters as well as dates, pomegranates and other stuff)
-Good space for buildings, including barge landings and tombs
-Floodplain 101
-Triggers, triggers and triggers
-All of this for dummies

That said, homegrown has some neat ideas that we’ll have to table for later. They are more for a graduate level course. Some of those things might actually not be possible or at least would only be possible over the course of a campaign, rather than just a single scenario. Some of that stuff would require thorough workaroundage.

I'll post lesson 1 later today.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:53 pm

Really Matt? I love homegrowns ideas and before I heard about them, I was already thinking of implenting some of them, but most of them do seem to be implentable (is that a word?). Anyway, looking forward to the first lesson. :)

Return to “Editing”