Lesson One -- Map Basics

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Darkdragoness

Postby Darkdragoness » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:13 am

I read somewhere that someone created a waterfall... one of the threads in the user created forum, I believe. How could you accomplish that? I tried for awhile, but I wasn't getting far. :p Any thoughts?

Filzehit

Cursor trivial question...

Postby Filzehit » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:34 pm

'llo,
I can't (I was unable) to set the "fine elevation" to 89 like you do for "flood plains areas". The cursor go from 88 to 90, never appears 89 ! ! !
Do someone have the same problem ?
Thanks in advance

Schmophit

Postby Schmophit » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:00 pm

Yep, I have the same problem, I just use the 88 setting, it still works well :)

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:38 pm

Filzehit wrote:'llo,
I can't (I was unable) to set the "fine elevation" to 89 like you do for "flood plains areas". The cursor go from 88 to 90, never appears 89 ! ! !
Do someone have the same problem ?
Thanks in advance
Just started looking at the editor. If you click in the space above or below the cursor (dot), it will change the setting by one unit. So, when you have the cursor set to 88, click the space above it and it will change to 89. Clicking below will of course change it to 87. ;)

Miko_Kudou

the ".scn" Files

Postby Miko_Kudou » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:24 pm

They don't work, and when I try to get something to view them, I get some AUDIO site. and those ARE image files right? I would like to have the .jpg, .gif or .bmp (bitmap) files for these, thanks.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:58 pm

Miko_Kudou wrote:They don't work, and when I try to get something to view them, I get some AUDIO site. and those ARE image files right? I would like to have the .jpg, .gif or .bmp (bitmap) files for these, thanks.

Hello Miko_Kodou,

I'm not sure what you mean by "They don't work", but I do know what they are.

.scn files are the CotN scenario files. They can only be edited with the CotN scenario editor. They aren't pictures or anything that can be viewed. The best you can do outside of CotN is open them with a word processor, which will just show you garbage, and give you the chance to break your game.

What exactly are you trying to find? Maybe I can help you with that.

Miko_Kudou

help

Postby Miko_Kudou » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:03 am

Hrm, how to explain. Well, these .scn files are images right? Or are they actual "scenarios"? Is there any other way to view them (by changing them to .jpg or whatever) so that I may see what you are reffering to, when you site them as reference in your editor lessons?

I hope this helps clarify what I was asking. Thank you for your patience.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:41 am

Aha! It is not my editor reference. It was written by Matt Zimmitti, who is one of the developers at Tilted Mill (or at least, he was a couple of years ago).

The .scn files are actually the scenarios. When he says to open them or view them, or whatever, he is referring to opening them from the game.

To view them, you have to start CotN, then go to editor. It might be titled "Campaign Editor" - I'm not in game, so I can't check now, sorry. Then, it will open a new window, where you have a blank canvas. You can then select "Open", and open the scenario you want, or just make a new one by following Matt's instructions in this thread.

Does that help you?

Miko_Kudou

Thanks

Postby Miko_Kudou » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:44 am

Yes, it helps me very much thank you ^^

clayson4908

Help

Postby clayson4908 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:41 pm

I created a very basic map -- using the basic steps for creating a river and the flood plain. To test it I added a few villagers and then ran the scenario: I added a couple of nobles, built a few farmhouses and waited until planting season and nothing the farmers just sat in their houses. So I added a few more things -- some rushes, clay, pomegranates and date palms and reran the scenario. Built two noble houses, added some farmhouses, couple of common shops, a brickmaker, a bricklayer and a baker. The nobles came and built their houses, the common shopkeepers came and made baskets and pottery, the brickmaker made bricks and the bricklayer worked on the baker and the farmers collected pomegranates and dates but didn't farm.

Please look at the attached scenario and see if you can help. I am sure that it is user error.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Zimmitti

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:49 pm

It has been many moons, but I think you may need the palace placed to get things rolling. Shot in the dark.

thegrad

flood plain

Postby thegrad » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:51 pm

I checked out your scenario and you still have not painted in the flood plain. Once I painted it in the farmers went to plant. I only painted part of it so you could see the difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:51 pm

Welcome to the Dark Side, clayson4908!

I'm gonna check out your scenario, but did you remember to paint the actual floodplain color where you want them to plant? It is Step #6.

EDIT: Stereo, Grad! You beat me... ;)

Matt Zimmitti

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:53 pm

This place is jumpin' on a Saturday afternoon! Thanks guys :)

clayson4908

Postby clayson4908 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:58 pm

I told you it was user error -- thanks, I am sure that I'll have more questions. The COTN community is awesome, I really appreciate everyones help.

Edit: Its amazing how well it works when you know what you are doing.
Last edited by clayson4908 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acu-Ra

River Crash

Postby Acu-Ra » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:19 am

It seems as though every time I try to "create river" the game crashes. I know I built the river before when I was working on the editor, but now it only crashes. I tried doing it exactly as your tutorial page specified, it still crashed (not the computer, the game). Does anyone have any idea why that would be? Oh, yes I did update it to the latest version. I tried it on two different computers, same issue.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:29 am

Maybe check your settings (main menu). I have had no problems as long as I use steps in lesson 1. That is, draw the entire river one end to the other using step 3 (A) then go to 3 (B), etc. I click on Create River after each step (don't know if it is really necessary, I just do it :) )

Only time I have issues is when I make rivers using Paint Cliffs. It's still possible but crashes a lot and barge placement can be a problem if your not careful.

Maybe start with a fresh map, "Create New Scenario".

Acu-Ra

River Crash

Postby Acu-Ra » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:19 am

"tomnobles" wrote:Maybe check your settings (main menu). I have had no problems as long as I use steps in lesson 1. That is, draw the entire river one end to the other using step 3 (A) then go to 3 (B), etc. I click on Create River after each step (don't know if it is really necessary, I just do it :) )

Only time I have issues is when I make rivers using Paint Cliffs. It's still possible but crashes a lot and barge placement can be a problem if your not careful.

Maybe start with a fresh map, "Create New Scenario".

No actually, I tried creating a very simple river. Straight UP and DOWN. It worked. Ok, so then I started to add some sizzle. 2 islands and an additional outlet... Boom, create river crashes. I even tried with the exact same elevation pen settings in the tutorial. I was like, I've seen scenarios with islands, so I know it's possible. I will try again, perhaps it was my second outlet. Man is it picky, and it simply crashes... no warning like "invalid" error. The crash makes no sense at all to me, it looks like an excellent river formation with sizzle and interesting little coves and stuff.

Akutra Cea

Akutra Cea

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:16 am

I always draw the river finished before I hit "create river". If I change the riverbed after I created the water, it will either crash or produce holes in the water surface. In addition to that, I think there shouldn't be too much water on the map, may cause problems, too.

Never had problems with winding rivers this way. Just don't make small riverbeds too narrow, because ships can get stuck there.

Stormcrow

Postby Stormcrow » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:11 pm

Has anyone figured out a good method to make the river smaller? I've found it is easy to make the river wider if you have a spot you don't like but trying to shrink it makes a mess.
I've gone through all of Matt's tuts (in fact I put them in a word doc with the pictures for easy reference) and they are excellent...just trying to improve my technique beyond what is covered.
Some other elevation mind-bogglers I still have are adjusting the width of the normal and/or high flood areas. Matt's technique produces an even 5 squares of high flood and 7 squares of normal flood if you go to the edge of the jaggies without going over. I imagine it is in the slope angle but I can't seem to find an angle that works.

Return to “Editing”