Lesson One -- Map Basics

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:46 am

Use the "Paint Cliffs" to reduce the size of your river. 0 will work. 4 is close or exact elevation of the map and will also work but will produce a cliff at the river. You can use Paint Cliff Paths to smooth it.

You may want to use Create River anytime you change elevation. Also make sure you have finished the river before anything else is done. Forget changing river or flood plains after anything else is done.

Using Elevation of -1 and slope of 8;
A Fine Elevation of 99-94 will give you a one square (slightly more) High flood
93 = 3
91 = 4
90 = 5 ~
89 = 5 (square)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stormcrow

Postby Stormcrow » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:50 am

Not sure I get you with using the paint cliffs (even with the screens). Do that and then go back and paint high flood and fp again? Shrinking the riverbed itself doesn't seem to be a problem; it's getting the surrounding terrain fixed again.
Thanks for that other info.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:07 am

Guess I read the post wrong, I thought you were trying to make the river smaller. Sorry.

Unfortunately You have to use the high flood, flood & river bed in that order.

Going back and re-drawing high flood an\or flood won't work.

It is possible to have a river without either or both floods. You just won't have the effect in game.

You can have only certain areas (only on one side for ex.) that have high and normal flood. That is you don't have to draw them the length of the river.

Stormcrow

Postby Stormcrow » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Oh, right. Yeah I was looking for fixing along the lines of "oops I went a few tiles too far..that high flood goes right into where I wanted to build"
It seems like at that point you either live with it or start a new map.
Save often!

Leladia

Postby Leladia » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:49 am

What I did when I ended up with a high flood area that was slightly wider than I wanted was to set flood to high, then sample elevation a square or two inland from the edge of the river. Use a tiny brush, and slope settings so that you have a very small area of effect, and you can carefully nudge the edge of the water back a little.

You might be able to use a similar technique to edit other river area borders...

D.poete

Lesson One Map Basics

Postby D.poete » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:34 am

if you have too many custom .pk3s in etmain i find the map wont load and its a pain moving files back and forth just to test, so i run 2 ets one for testing and one for playing that way i dont have to put all my custom .pk3s back so textures show in radiant.

setokaiba

Farming.

Postby setokaiba » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:19 pm

For some strange reason my farmers woun't farm.

Is their farming land -1 or -2 ?????

And on top of that, whenever I want to test my whole machine hangs and crashes and I have to reboot. If I want to test I have to play it as a scenario.???

CharleyK1

Postby CharleyK1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi Setokaiba!

I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, but for farming, the "flood plain" terrain painting is more important than the elevation. In fact, on ANY elevation, whether near a river or not, painting with the "flood plain" terrain makes land usable for farming.

As to the crashes you've experienced when testing from within the editor, I've never run across that. Perhaps you should describe the problem in the Techincal Support forum and include a dxdiag.txt file for the techies to look at?

Good Luck,
...Charley

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:49 pm

"setokaiba" wrote:For some strange reason my farmers woun't farm.

Is their farming land -1 or -2 ?????

And on top of that, whenever I want to test my whole machine hangs and crashes and I have to reboot. If I want to test I have to play it as a scenario.???

It depends on where you paint the flood plain. Normally it would be on the banks of the river or an area that collects flood waters (a low plain adjacent to a river). However, you can almost paint the flood plain anywhere and it will be farmed.

Sounds that you haven't painted a flood plain or maybe it is under water or planting time hasn't arrived.

The "Test" button is machine dependent. That is, works most of the time on my machine but on my old machine it wouldn't work at all. So yes, you have to test as a scenario.

Flood plains don't have to be clear either. In the attached screen shot, all river banks are flood plain (farmable).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

setokaiba

Thanks

Postby setokaiba » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:15 am

Oh, I'm such a dumb ass... I keep painting mud... LOL. Then I thought maybe it was the rich mud... Didn't even see the pain "flood plain". :p I'll try painting the right paint now.

As for the crashes, it's hard to a diagnostic. For one I don't know how, LOL. I've read all the posts about doing it but it's all greek to me, and two, my machine crash completely, like as in, I can't do anything as all I have is a black screen that doesn't go away. So I have to switch my machine off at the wall, very damaging especially since it's brand new. So even if I knew how to run a diagnostic I wouldn't be able to. But I'll got read the tech posts again and see if maybe and I can get something right.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by setokaiba on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

frger

Lesson one

Postby frger » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:37 am

Thank you for instruction and I wish more details about Elevation!

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:41 pm

Sorry to have to mention this,but I have noticed that the tilde ~ key isnt affecting the pitch of the viewing area,any ideas why? should it be used in conjunction with another key,like CTRL? :confused:

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:48 pm

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]~ + (arrow keys) Rotate the camera around center of screen
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:05 am

"Keith" wrote:[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]~ + (arrow keys) Rotate the camera around center of screen
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Aha!,so ~ plus arrow up (unless the keys are inverted,and up is 'tilt back') would tilt the map towards the ground,and arrow down would tilt the view back allowing us to more or less see the world 1st person/at ground level?
Thanks for that!

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:48 am

Just bring the camera down to ground level and zoom in. I made some screenshots from inside buildings looking out on to the main streets a long while back. They may still be attached to some old messages from 2004-2005.

Image1.jpg

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:23 pm

"Keith" wrote:Just bring the camera down to ground level and zoom in. I made some screenshots from inside buildings looking out on to the main streets a long while back. They may still be attached to some old messages from 2004-2005.

[attachment=]32442[/attachment]

I expect these shortcuts to also be included with the game manual? man we sure can be lazy sometimes,looks like I had better dig the old manuscript out again.Thanks for the listing in the meantime,will be nice as a quick reference point,if I ever find myself without the manual of course :rolleyes: :D

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:46 pm

You have both a game manual & an editor manual in your game files. Steam under steamapps common documents.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:19 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:You have both a game manual & an editor manual in your game files. Steam under steamapps common documents.

After all these years and it still amazes me that we can,at times,still realize new things :)
Last edited by Rileses I on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Editing”