Editors Manual - where to get it???

Discussion and help with creating scenarios and campaigns in the Editor
Karter

Editors Manual - where to get it???

Postby Karter » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:12 am

Hi to all,

I keep seeing references to an Editors Manual, some say they got it with the game. But, my game just came with the normal installing/playing the game manual.

How can I get the editors manual?

The Lessons here are great....but LOL

I can create the maps but need greater detailed help on the triggers etc...

Thanks

ooops never mind ...... found it

C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\documents\Editor Manual.pdf
Last edited by Karter on Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raccoon_TOF

Postby Raccoon_TOF » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:18 am

Yup, that's the manual everyone is talking about. However, it doesn't go into much detail about the triggers either. Most of that unfortunately has to be discovered through trial-and-error, and also some of the functions in the editor appear to not be enabled. If you run into any specific questions though, usually someone else on the forums here has tried something similar or can find out the answer for you and point you in the right direction, so don't hesitate to ask.

Karter

Postby Karter » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:28 pm

Yeah

After looking at the manual, it is extremely lacking in any helpful knowledge
Thay need to add a technical writer to the Tilted Mill staff who can actually write down some helpful instructions..

Anyone need a job???? LOL

Raccoon_TOF

Postby Raccoon_TOF » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Well the main thing isn't lack of writing talent over there, but rather that the editor is an "unsupported" portion of the game and they spent most of their time on the actual gameplay rather than the editor. I'm still hoping that future patch releases will add to and clarify the editor features though...> :)

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:43 pm

Karter: Matt Zimmitti's tutorials in this editing forum walk you through creating a map and scenario step by step... definitely supplement the manual!

They are collected in a master Word document here:
http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4918

Unfortunately, while they cover the map creation in great detail they are sketchy in world level creation (Matt had a deadline to meet at that point I think!)

Fortunately, like Raccoon_TOF says, many players, like Raccoon_TOF, have become quite proficient, like Raccoon_TOF, with the Editor and could probably write the manual since, like Raccoon_TOF, they've posted many helpful detailed posts, which means, like Raccoon_TOF, they can write as well as build.

( Did I mention proficient players could probably write an additional manual supplement? :D )
( Did I mention Raccoon_TOF? :rolleyes: )

NumakNatut III

Postby NumakNatut III » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:14 pm

I'm hoping there is a patch coming out for either the editor, or the manual, or both. :mad:

One thing I've noticed is you do the "trigger" function last. You need to establish an effect, then a condition and THEN the trigger. The buttons are laid out in the editor in reverse order from what would be an "intuitive" interface. 'hint hint'

In fact quite a lot of things with the editor are set up the same counter-intuitive way. If anyone, like Raccoon_TOF needs some assistance, let me know. I am an INTP, (What's INTP?) and standing by. ;)
Last edited by NumakNatut III on Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raccoon_TOF

Postby Raccoon_TOF » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:43 am

LOL! Ok, point taken folks. I'll see what I can do about a World-Level manual for the editor, but I've still got another scenario that I am working on to finish first (contest scenario for Ancient-Maps, formerly CityBuildingContests). NumakNatut III, when I do end up starting to write it, I'd love the help.

In the meantime, what sorts of things do people want help with that have not already been discussed here in the forums? I'll try to include as much as I can think of, but it is less likely for me to cover a particular topic if I do not know it is a concern in the first place...

PS - I'm an INTP also by most tests, though also end up INFP by many...
Last edited by Raccoon_TOF on Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:54 am

Professor Raccoon_TOF: thank you thank you thank you :D !

Although discussed it has not been set up as a complete walkthrough... on the order that Matt did for creating a map... so... how about a simpflified cascading trigger example...

. Assume we already have a city map ready to go.

. Assume we have a complete blank world level that does not even have "our city" on it yet

. Then walk us through creating a foreign site that:

1. Starts to raid you but only after your city reaches a certain size...
2. Allows you to "subdue" it if you build and send an army of a certain size...
3. Then turns into an "ally" that trades with you after being subdued...

. Leave everything else out to keep it simple...

Raccoon_TOF wrote:I'll see what I can do about a World-Level manual for the editor... what sorts of things do people want help with that have not already been discussed here in the forums...

Raccoon_TOF

Postby Raccoon_TOF » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:02 am

sitearm9 wrote:Professor Raccoon_TOF: thank you thank you thank you :D !

Although discussed it has not been set up as a complete walkthrough... on the order that Matt did for creating a map... so... how about a simpflified cascading trigger example...

. Assume we already have a city map ready to go.

. Assume we have a complete blank world level that does not even have "our city" on it yet

. Then walk us through creating a foreign site that:

1. Starts to raid you but only after your city reaches a certain size...
2. Allows you to "subdue" it if you build and send an army of a certain size...
3. Then turns into an "ally" that trades with you after being subdued...

. Leave everything else out to keep it simple...

Ok, that part will be simple enough, only question is what exactly you mean by the city reaching a certain size...number of nobles? Number of farms? AFAIK there is no way to check specifically for current city population, though I'd love for that to be able to be done...

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:14 am

6 townhouses...

Raccoon_TOF wrote:Ok, that part will be simple enough, only question is what exactly you mean by the city reaching a certain size...number of nobles? Number of farms? AFAIK there is no way to check specifically for current city population, though I'd love for that to be able to be done...

Raccoon_TOF

Postby Raccoon_TOF » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:18 am

Ok, as mentioned in this thread that's not actually as easy a condition as it first appears. But that in and of itself should be a good teaching tool...

Return to “Editing”