The Distant Goddess

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
LisaMockingbird

The Distant Goddess

Postby LisaMockingbird » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:48 pm

Ok I finally finished my campaign! They all play fine for me. So here goes nothing…I want to express my thanks for all the tips from all the forum regulars - and I hope at least a few peeps might enjoy my scenarios.

Since I have not figured out an auto installer – so you will have to place the files yourself.
IMPORTANT FILE INFO:

When you un-zip the files:
-The .scn and .jpg (six in total)
need to go in your CotN scenarios folder - for me that is the default location
C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\data\Scenarios

-The four .mp3 music files
go in your sounds folder - for me that is the default location
C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\data\Audio\Sounds

The Legend of the Distant Goddess
In which Het-Hert becomes angry with her father Re and decides to leave Egypt altogether.
(Crib Notes: Het-Hert is Hathor, Re is Ra in CotN.)

Your family has a great secret, given directly to the first pharaoh by the Divine Mother Hathor. The secret is passed to one person in each successive generation who shall reign as pharaoh and be known as Child of Hathor Daughter of Ra.

Build many Monuments and Temples for Hathor through a 3 scenario campaign spanning about 300 years of your family dynasty. Get involved in the life of a goddess and unlock the mystery of the stars!

Ok, of course this is my own wild version of the story - which appears to be a real legend. I stumbled on it posted on the internet - so it must be real right? I actually only used the title and sub-title phrase above as inspiration and I never did go back and read the rest. Several other silly things happened to me all at once about a month ago that tied in and inspired this story full blown in my brain one night.

It is intended to be somewhat humorous. I hope everyone who plays it gets a chuckle or two, I don't think most of my jokes are overly subtle but some are. Do keep in mind that until about 3 weeks ago, I'd never opened the editor. If you guys bust it up and pan it - I may wish I never had opened the editor. LOL, well nah it kept me busy while incapacitated with a triple broken leg here. I do think that each one shows new editor tricks I learned as well.

Disclaimer: any resemblance to real history or fantasy is purely improbable…er… I mean coincidental. ;)

For some reason the campaign editor refused to "save" them in campaign format on my computer (crash to desktop on save). They should be played in numerical order or the story, some message references, running jokes and carryover world sites will not make any sense at all. And well there would be spoilers for the earlier ones if seen already in the later ones.

I have a fairly new computer - and didn’t have any trouble with game speed while testing these. Keep in mind, I designed them and tested them for NORMAL difficulty setting. If you play it on Hard, it’s at your own risk ;) Actual game goal years will vary but it took me about 26 years - part 1, 34 years - part 2, 28 years - part 3 on average in testing. But I tend to dink about prettying things up. Careful planning and strategy was goal.

I'm the only CotN fan in my family so it's only been tested by me so far and I tried deliberately breaking things as much as possible to see what happens and a lot of my best jokes ended up in the messages for when you break things LOL - so most people will never see 'em. I'll update it only if you guys find fixes I need to make. I tried to put in an easter-egg here and there as well.

For those who don't read the "tips" sections: In part 3, you should change your game speed back to 1 (normal) when you think the final victory is near or the little 'movie' will look odd. I could not find a way to script game speed and force it to change to slow and I chose not to put a "Please set your game speed to slow now" message breaking the game immersion. But that last minute or so before victory took me a whole day to trigger out and I thought it was pretty kewl for a noob - course probably no one else will be impressed. LOL.

All three scenarios have "ruins" and pre-existing items. You should not build over, pave over or destroy them. Many of them trigger events, control the camera, provide vital elements, or even kick out jokes… Hathor put most of them there for a reason. :D

I tried to make every site have a reason - fit into the story. I attempted also to use real places and make their trade goods fitting. But I'm definitely not an ancient Egypt scholar or expert so I'm sure I've played fast and loose here and there ;P I was guesstimating the time frame from about 2907 BC to about 2607 (depending on how long it takes you to finish part 3, it will vary) - so the Early Dynastic Period. This seemed to jibe with most the things I had you build but I'm sure some were probably earlier/later.

These are the mini-campaign description tags to give you a taste of the story without any spoilers:

Part 1: Hathor’s Emergence or ‘Daddy's Little Girl’:

Hathor, young as goddesses go, has finished a few tasks for her father Ra and finds herself with some free time on her hands. Hathor installs you to lead your people in building a nice little city to be called Per-Re (aka Iunu or Heliopolis - near what is modern day Cairo first built maybe around 2900 bc), This honor should keep daddy happy while you also work on a few other projects for your Divine Mother.

Part 2: Hathor’s Conquest or ‘'Men are liable to drive you nuts'

A few years have passed (ok ok more like a century or so - picky humans…) and your city of Per-Re is functioning and maturing but the raids have gotten serious of late. Hathor has 'accidentally' overheard some loose talk while attending her son Horus' festival. It would appear that two pretenders have somehow gained extraordinary power. They are amassing troops and are scuffling for supremacy in the lands. Hathor decides she needs you to build a new more strategically located city, to be called Qis, while she investigates deeper behind those thrones. It would seem the work of another of the gods. Suspects include some in-laws and family members: Thoth, Sobek, Ptah, and even Our son Horus...

Part 3: Hathor's Ascension or 'Pray for me and I'm out of here'

More years have passed since the war with the pretenders. In god terms but a brief span. Hathor is still angry with Ra and has been seeking a way to flee Egypt. She figures she has another 50 years or so before Ra notices that you've destroyed his minions (he's not 'hands on' like Hathor and truth be told - he's somewhat lazy). Then she assumes he'll start regrouping and come after her 'with a vengeance' as the saying goes... Sooooooo...needless to say, she'd prefer to be absent by then. Once again you set out to build a new city, Per Hathor, and deal with all the demands of your ever-loving goddess.

Tweaked part 2 - added a leather export site since some people reported a bottleneck on leather and pre-laid roads to prevent blocking of pyramid. Note the "c" at the end of the scenairo name. So make sure you choose this one when you play. If this one is considered better - I'll change the one in the zip package to this. Waiting to see what other changes people suggest. Thanks for playing! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LisaMockingbird on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:07 pm

Congrats! Have downloaded and starting to play.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:21 pm

Looking very good, Lisa. I'm in the middle of Hieronymus Ex Decorum Veritas C4 Beauty Contest, seeing how UGLY I can make a Pretty City.

You are next! I've already downloaded & looked at your three maps. Very Impressive! Thank you! :)

Miut

Postby Miut » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:13 am

Adore the Star Gate references, lol. Wish I'd thought of them.. really good. :)

Fired up the first one to have a look but went back to finish off Heiropolis one I am doing.
Thaks for taking he time to put these together for us all.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:32 am

Gotta Win Screen for ya, Lisa. :) On to Qis...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:14 pm

And you played it on hard - which I didn't test. Looks like it took a few years longer is all. I was not sure how crippled prestige would be on "hard".

I'm have your 2nd scenario and a new nubia to play through too myself. :D

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:18 pm

LisaMockingbird wrote:And you played it on hard - which I didn't test. Looks like it took a few years longer is all. I was not sure how crippled prestige would be on "hard".

It was tough, cuz I don't like building statues, even clay statues. ;) Also quarrying limestone is not my favorite. :D I wasn't going for speed. ;) I don't do that.

I'm have your 2nd scenario and a new nubia to play through too myself. :D

I'll bet you are a bit behind with all your designing. Enjoy! :)

catgoddess83

Lost People???

Postby catgoddess83 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:42 pm

Lisa,

I'm loving your scenario and all the humor. HOWSOMEVER where's all the peeps for the second part???? :mad: I only have 1/2 the number of farmers and soldiers. :eek: I keep waiting for some new people to come in (dazed and confused,LOL) but I've been waiting FOREVER. Are they ever going to show up???? I'm up to the the Arabian Knights and have all my pyramid materials but 7 laborers will take eternity to build the pyramid! :cool:

Cat

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:43 pm

The should show up
if you have 0 villagers and less than 3 vagrents. The cycle is longer tho than in part 1. So employ all your workers as soon as possible. If you have even one unemployed villager when the cycle hits, you won't get a new batch and may have to wait for a 2nd cycle to run.

I made the cycle longer on purpose but if peeps hate it, I could change it shorter or make the villager number higher. You only get 14 at a time and if you have a lot of open jobs they get sucked up really fast. Also make sure you haven't paved over the arrival gate. I know they arrived fine for me. If you want me to check your save game file - post it and I will.

Oh and this scenario took me the longest to beat myself (34 to 38 years) of all 3 - just a suggestion - build up your farmers/laborers before your army. The pyramid is key to getting to the final battles.

Miut

Postby Miut » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:13 am

Having a problem with Armor makers - got plenty cows, but despite me putting 3 armorers among a group of cows around one of your ancient bits of wall, the damned stupid armorers go to the other end of the map to get leather from the same one dead cow that has been lying there for years!

Man, that must have been an auroch, they have gotten so much leather from it! (which I bet the cattle then were anyways looking at art about the Apis bulls and the Cretan Bull Dancers of the same time)

This all means I have very little armor being made. Advice welcomed.

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:08 am

I love the campaign Lisa! But.... I am having a problem with my overseer not getting to the pyramid ( in the 2nd part). He stops just before the ramp and the speech bubble thingy says " going to work" but he won't get on the pyramid. He will overseer statues and anything else.Is there some trick to the pyramid like having to have a certain site open or something? I don't want to give anything away for others but I do have a save I can upload if someone wants to take a look. I have tried the ramps in all possible positions and the pyramid in all of the three possible positions. Thanks in advance....

Cleo-M

Postby Cleo-M » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:15 am

I have the same problem with overseer as Existenz, is there any solution Lisa? Thank you...

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:39 pm

Cleo-M wrote:I have the same problem with overseer as Existenz, is there any solution Lisa? Thank you...

could be which way you turned the ramp, I ran it 3 times with no problem but I always put the ramp on the back wall and had my storage delivery there.

Can you show me a picture of which way you have your pyramid ramp turned? If it is too pickey - I'll have to warn peeps, or pre put in the base so it's turned right.
Thanks and sorry for any problems. I'll make a picture of how I set it. At least if no work has been done you can safely delete the base and scootch or turn it around a bit till you see which direction works. As long as the delivery guys can reach their storage areas it should build fine.
Last edited by LisaMockingbird on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:42 pm

Miut wrote:Having a problem with Armor makers - got plenty cows, but despite me putting 3 armorers among a group of cows around one of your ancient bits of wall, the damned stupid armorers go to the other end of the map to get leather from the same one dead cow that has been lying there for years!

Man, that must have been an auroch, they have gotten so much leather from it! (which I bet the cattle then were anyways looking at art about the Apis bulls and the Cretan Bull Dancers of the same time)

That's odd, I had no problem with the armor makers before. A cows dead body should disappear shortly after they kill it and take the leather. I've never seen a n animal corpse hang around for years. I could look at your save game - I'd really be interested to see what is happening - looks like I might have to tweak some stuff in part 2 here. What I don't get is how a cow got all the way over on the other side of the map, since mine all tend to herd up near the entry point and stay there.
Last edited by LisaMockingbird on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:09 pm

Thanks for the reply :) . I'm at work now - night duty :( . So cannot post a pic but I am fairly certain I tried that orientation. My DOP's are not in that area and are near the city - would that make a difference? Not that it matters now I've seen how you placed yours I may have to just start from the beginning. One more night duty after this and then I week off so will have plenty of time to restart. I'll post a pic when i get home in 8 hours time. Thanks again for replying. Still a great game isn't it! :D Especially where there is such an abundance of talented, creative, and inventive scenario makers ( like yourself) including MD - have downloaded his and will start when I finsh yours.

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:01 pm

Miut wrote:Having a problem with Armor makers - got plenty cows, but despite me putting 3 armorers among a group of cows around one of your ancient bits of wall, the damned stupid armorers go to the other end of the map to get leather from the same one dead cow that has been lying there for years!

Ok well until I can see your game - I decided a quick fix. I made a new version of part 2 - it has a new site that will export leather and opens early on and is not very expensive. But I'd still like to see your save with this weird cow.

Added it to download link in top post. If I need any more changes - please let me know. Odd how it plays differently sometimes. But the new site should be a failsafe on the leather.

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:07 pm

existenz wrote:Thanks for the reply :) . I'm at work now - night duty :( . So cannot post a pic but I am fairly certain I tried that orientation. My DOP's are not in that area and are near the city - would that make a difference? Not that it matters now I've seen how you placed yours I may have to just start from the beginning. One more night duty after this and then I week off so will have plenty of time to restart. I'll post a pic when i get home in 8 hours time. Thanks again for replying. Still a great game isn't it! :D Especially where there is such an abundance of talented, creative, and inventive scenario makers ( like yourself) including MD - have downloaded his and will start when I finsh yours.

Yeah I love Cotn. Most that should happen tho is you have to restart the pyramid. I may need to add a road or tips section after I get your recommendations. It's amazing that I played it 3 times and the pyramid went smooth every time. I wish I had more family that played CotN so I could have had other testers earlier.

I tested rotating the ramp - as long as I left walking room on the corner from the direction that the stones get dragged from - I could get it built in any directions - but I do think that if you block your ramp and the haulers have to turn a corner - they might get stuck - although I have not found that combo so I am very interested in seeing how you got yours set and stuck. The haulers need about a 2 road wide clearance if they have to turn a corner. I noticed that if I had them haul the stones from town instead of a drop point near the ramp the pyramid takes about twice as long to build - good drop points are your friend here - make the delivery men do most the hauling :) . Drop points that basically are near and in line (no corners to turn) with your ramp work best and fastest.

You will see how friendly it can be - since I preset the base and storage if you play part 3 - if you do start part 2 over - I posted a fix for a reported leather bottleneck - you may want to download that version "b" above to try instead.
Last edited by LisaMockingbird on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:38 pm

I think that's my problem - all the building blocks are in town and there is only one road space and too many corners so not enough space to haul or for the overseer to reach the ramp. I'll start again as I have deleted the pyramid over and over again with no luck. I'll put the DOP's where you put them and should have no problems. I never had a problem with armor - have more than enough once I discovered the secret :D . i'll post my save or a pic when I get home - it's 0430 here so only 3 1/2 hours to go - after posting the pic it's sleep time then play time then work time then sleep time then more play time - in fact a whole week of play time. Yay.

Edit1: Ok back at home now so here's the pic
Last edited by existenz on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catgoddess83

Small steles non existant

Postby catgoddess83 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:36 pm

Dear Lisa

I solved my problem in Part 2 by "blowing up" :D (deleting) the last two villager huts(parked by the entrance,BTW); then the people came in regularly.
I also had the overseer standing by the pyramid even after it was done. I had to blow up his house and put down a new one to get my projects done
In Part 3; However, I'm collecting goods for Oma's second request and there are no small steles to be had. There's only one place to get steles ....OOPS I just remembered that I have a granite site on the other side of the river!
Never Mind! :confused:
Two gripes,BTW, my brickmakers are the laziest sods I've ever seen; I usually go with 8 and they provide enough bricks for multiple projects. I'm up to 10 and they sit on their duffs half the time.
The cedar trade ships show up; suck up all my supplies and rarely leave any cedar! :mad: Plus, 707 seems a bit steep for competing wood suppliers!

Cat

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:35 pm

catgoddess83 wrote:Dear Lisa

I solved my problem in Part 2 by "blowing up" :D (deleting) the last two villager huts(parked by the entrance,BTW); then the people came in regularly.
I also had the overseer standing by the pyramid even after it was done. I had to blow up his house and put down a new one to get my projects done
In Part 3; However, I'm collecting goods for Oma's second request and there are no small steles to be had. There's only one place to get steles ....OOPS I just remembered that I have a granite site on the other side of the river!
Never Mind! :confused:
Two gripes,BTW, my brickmakers are the laziest sods I've ever seen; I usually go with 8 and they provide enough bricks for multiple projects. I'm up to 10 and they sit on their duffs half the time.
The cedar trade ships show up; suck up all my supplies and rarely leave any cedar! :mad: Plus, 707 seems a bit steep for competing wood suppliers!

Cat

Ah villiager huts - yeah I rip em down if they settle in bad spots - vagrants too. I have had people of all jobs randomly get stuck in even the official scenarios. Not sure anyone knows why some just do occasionally. I've also had the widow issue block a noble/educated house from use and had to tear em down to correct it.

Are you talking about part 3 on the bricks and cedar?
Hmmm...well I usually have 8 to 10 brickmakers, sometimes up to 12 if they have to travel far for their resources. Bricks are not supposed to be big a problem - there should be plenty of mud and rushes but there is virtually no papyrus reeds in part 3 and that will slow them down I think. I always make sure they have roads in front too. I think all crafts peeps cycle down and up time depending on the time of year and the goods in the house and stores.
I always have tons of sets of common shops and bakerys so they don't have to wait or go far. Competing wood suppliers - that is part 3 not part 2 so I'm assuming we are talking about part 3. And yeah I had the prices high I guess to force you to build a biggish city first, I think Yayha or Jimaten explained about city trade good cycles in another thread - You open and it can take a year for their first load of exports to show according to their info. Mark also has done some labs I think.
I played part 3 with 14 large estates before grabbing cedar and didn't have food issues. I also had 5 or 6 scribes collecting taxes. You should be banking 7 to 10 thousand food per year. But the cedar trade being rocky in part 3 was one of the big challenges I was trying for actually.

Again if something is broken - I'd like your save. I am starting to think a few worker cycle things act different a bit randomly and I may have to tweak a few things.

I'm also very interested in your opinions.
I will say I was shooting to make these fairly tough (you might have to juggle imports) on even normal difficulty setting. Before you open up trade - it is best to build up your city so that you have tons of food and are not really doing much brick building anymore.

Also make sure you have well spaced and plenty of landings.

Return to “User-created Scenarios”