Sand Wars I - The Threat From Within

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Kiya

Postby Kiya » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:28 pm

That was different again. Very enjoyable , thank you! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sheshong

Sand Wars I The Threat From Within

Postby Sheshong » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:18 pm

Loved the different twist and turns of your game, thanks for all of your hard work. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks for the kudos, Kiya and Sheshong. :)

AnnT

Postby AnnT » Sat May 03, 2008 3:35 pm

Well, I have to admit I'm a bit lost on what to do with this one. I tried it when you first posted the scenario, and started again the other day. I sit here and watch the time pass. nothing much to do. Since I see win screens posted, I assume I'll eventually see something happen. Had the triumvirate get back together. had a couple of raider camps open up. (very frustrating to see the "hope you have city guards..." message).

since I'm not much on sandbox scenarios without any particular goals, I can only assume this one requires a lot of "self starting" building. Maybe I'll give it a third try later on.

thanks for the scenario tho :) always good to try something different!

ETA: well, opened and killed off a third camp. messge about the head of the bad guys, but absolutely nothing to do. so...time to look at the editor and find out what I'm missing. :shrug:
Last edited by AnnT on Sat May 03, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sat May 03, 2008 5:40 pm

"AnnT" wrote:I sit here and watch the time pass. nothing much to do. Since I see win screens posted, I assume I'll eventually see something happen. Had the triumvirate get back together. had a couple of raider camps open up. (very frustrating to see the "hope you have city guards..." message).

time to look at the editor and find out what I'm missing. :shrug:

'couple of raider camps open up' is probably not enough. You need to open all the Triumvirate garrisons. The last one for me was Birsabat, and you'll need 5 obelisks for it to open plus some food. I don't think the editor is needed for this one.

AnnT

Postby AnnT » Sat May 03, 2008 6:18 pm

"Kiya" wrote:'couple of raider camps open up' is probably not enough. You need to open all the Triumvirate garrisons. The last one for me was Birsabat, and you'll need 5 obelisks for it to open plus some food. I don't think the editor is needed for this one.

WHAT Triumvirate garrisons? I had the three raider camps closed, and got a message that there was a head bad guy and the triumvirate had to figure out what to do about him...but that's it. after 15 minutes I just shut down the game.

Later I went back in and looked at the editor for SW I.
You don't find out about the garrisons until you wait for a LONG time after the third raider camp closes. 1521 seconds, to be precise. (that's the amount of time between the closing of 3rd raider camp and the appearance of the first garrison. )

I'll probably finish the game while I'm surfing sometime. :) I'm not knocking Yahya's scenario: nice story line, lots of room to build, pretty map. It's just not the kind of scenario I enjoy a lot.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sun May 04, 2008 11:45 am

Um, 1500 seconds are about 1 1/2 years game time. If someone wants to do things in the city also and not just constantly react to events on the world map this time is okay, I think. I find it unrealistic for things happening instantly after something triggers them. Even foes need time to plan and raise an army and so on ;)

For me, CotN is a game with a slow pace. Sure, sometimes action can get hot, but I wouldn´t like it to be that way always. After 15 minutes, I normally just planned my city´s layout... ;)

AnnT

Postby AnnT » Sun May 04, 2008 1:30 pm

"sakasiru" wrote:Um, 1500 seconds are about 1 1/2 years game time. If someone wants to do things in the city also and not just constantly react to events on the world map this time is okay, I think. I find it unrealistic for things happening instantly after something triggers them. Even foes need time to plan and raise an army and so on ;)

For me, CotN is a game with a slow pace. Sure, sometimes action can get hot, but I wouldn´t like it to be that way always. After 15 minutes, I normally just planned my city´s layout... ;)

Yup. I know. Sometimes I like to just turn it on, set things up, set it to run at 1.00 and do a lot of planning. It's interesting to go back and forth and see what your Egyptians have been doing :)

1500 seconds is 25 minutes. If you play at 1.00 rate it might be 1.5 years...i don't know. it's a lot more than 1.5 years if you play on a faster speed.

As I said before, I'm not dissing the work that's been done on this scenario. That's one of the things that is excellent about being able to create your own maps, dungeons, scenarios, whatever you want to call them. You can make new adventures for people...and they can either like them or not.

I'm just giving MY point of view on this scenario. Things that caused me to think I'd somehow missed a goal to meet. kinda like the way on another scenario all goals were met but "no victory screen" and it turns out to be a pixel hunt problem. (item needs to be a few tiles over to the left sort of thing)

I'm looking forward to finding the time to try the SWII scenario now.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun May 04, 2008 1:39 pm

"AnnT" wrote:Yup. I know. Sometimes I like to just turn it on, set things up, set it to run at 1.00 and do a lot of planning. It's interesting to go back and forth and see what your Egyptians have been doing :)

1500 seconds is 25 minutes. If you play at 1.00 rate it might be 1.5 years...i don't know. it's a lot more than 1.5 years if you play on a faster speed.

As I said before, I'm not dissing the work that's been done on this scenario. That's one of the things that is excellent about being able to create your own maps, dungeons, scenarios, whatever you want to call them. You can make new adventures for people...and they can either like them or not.

I'm just giving MY point of view on this scenario. Things that caused me to think I'd somehow missed a goal to meet. kinda like the way on another scenario all goals were met but "no victory screen" and it turns out to be a pixel hunt problem. (item needs to be a few tiles over to the left sort of thing)

I'm looking forward to finding the time to try the SWII scenario now.

Hi AnnT,

Sorry you found it dull. I hadn't thought of what would happen at 1.0 speed, because I never play at that speed. That's a design flaw that you have graciously pointed out. :)

Actually, though, 1500 seconds in-game is always 1500 seconds in-game. There are 960 seconds in a game year. I set it at 1500 (or whatever it is) to be just over a year and a half of game time. At 1.0 speed, that will take 25 minutes; you're right about that, and that's my bad. At 2.5 speed, which is where I play, it is 10 minutes.

Overall, your comments are excellent food for thought, and I appreciate your honesty.

Something I will tell you is that in the first two scenarios, I have a lot of little cliffhangers like that: I tell the player we are looking for something, and then let the player do what she will for a while. I think it gives time to meet your own goals, instead of being forced precisely down the path I want you to go on.

In SWIII, I plan to open it up a little bit. I'm not quite sure how I will achieve it, but I think I can do it. I know as we get toward SWVI, things will be better and better. But as I am in the design phase for III, your comments are perfectly-timed. :)

But, I strongly encourage you to play SWII. If you found the first scenario a little slow, you will be most stimulated by the second, as some here can attest. :p

AnnT

Postby AnnT » Sun May 04, 2008 5:13 pm

Yahya, thanks for taking my comments in the spirit they were meant. just my opinions referring to my own playing style.

It took over 20 minutes (playing at 2.00) for the garrisons to appear when I finished SWI. But I made quite a nice city in the time :)

It's not that I like "being forced precisely down the path", but I like to have something to do other than just build a city :) little side quests. little red herrings.

I'm running SWII atm. going well. actually...sound is gone....

yup. finished it. Victory screen. Thanks for the scenarios. now...go finish up 3 and 4! oh..finals. graduate. do all that too :D

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun May 04, 2008 5:24 pm

Most scenariomakers are somewhat predictable. Yahya likes to use delays.

Get used to it, cuz I love them. :D

MoonHeart

Postby MoonHeart » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:51 pm

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Wow! :) :D

clayson4908

Postby clayson4908 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:12 am

Yahya,

Nice scenario -- I liked the way the world map worked and it was a good map. I got the WS and wanted to finish the city but the bricklayers are acting funny. If I have a brickyard then they just seem to move bricks back and forth between the brick makers and the brickyard. If I don't have a brickyard then they just keep going into the brick maker. I tried deleting all the brickyards -- no luck; I tried deleting all the bricklayers and putting them somewhere else -- no luck; I even tried deleting all the brick makers and rebuilding them -- no luck. I also tried restarting the game and rebooting my system -- no luck. I atached the file if you want to check it out. On to SW II.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:06 am

Clayson4908, you have Alexandria, so I cannot try your save. However, your problem is destination blockage. You have built a 3x3 block somewhere & the bricklayers are trying (and failing) to get at the middle building site that will never happen. You need to delete that center building to fix the problem.

Count the number of bricks the layer is carrying to figure out what type of building. What building needs that number of bricks?

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi clayson4908!

I looked at your scenario, and Tink is right (as always ;) ). The pylons (wall tiles) you built around your cult temple have some cross shaped form, however, the middles are not built. To "free" your workers, you have to carefully click inside the hole in the center of each pylon and delete the construction devices. This won´t change the appearance of your pylons, but your bricklayers will no longer try to build these parts despite they cannot.
If you want this middle built and no hole remaining, you have to delete one side of each pylon-cross, so there is access to the middle. Once the center is built, you can safely add the last of the outer wall parts.

I hope you understand what I´m babblng about. If you have questions, feel free to ask :o

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:34 pm

Thank you, Sakasiru!

Yep, to build tight, we must always build from the inside out & not from the outside in. :)

clayson4908

Postby clayson4908 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:42 pm

Tinkerbell/Sakasiru -- thanks for your help - I thought it was something like that and thought I had eliminated all of the interiors. I'll delete all of the ongoing construction and rebuild. :D :D It is this type of help that make me really appreciate both COTN and its user community.

Are you play the new Nile Online game? How do you like it? Do you build cities the way you do in COTN? I signed up but lost access because I got busy at work and couldn't play but the map looked totally different.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:14 pm

I absolutely LOVE Nile Online! :)

It is COTN 2 !!! :D

Texas Bill

Postby Texas Bill » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:19 pm

"Yahya" wrote:

[SIZE=4][COLOR=Yellow][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]
GOALS
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=4]Build a grand city, to stand the test of time.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=4]Explore - there are great riches to be had in the world![/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=4]Protect the great Triumvirate from all threats.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=4]Our land is secure, thanks to the glory of the Triumvirate. There is no need to raise an army here.[/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial] ______________________________________________________

[FONT=Verdana]Hello, all! This scenario is the the first of a six-part series titled "[COLOR=Yellow]SAND WARS". This is SAND WARS I - THE THREAT FROM WITHIN.

There are some elements of this tale that will be overtly borrowed from another tale, set in a different environment. The tale is considerably different, however. Those elements that seem overtly borrowed are intentional, as an homage. :)

Below is the trailer for the first episode, for your viewing pleasure. :D This trailer is not nearly perfect, in my opinion. But, I decided tonight that I could spend the rest of my life working on it, which will be detrimental to the overall project, and it still wouldn't be perfect. They will get better with time. :D

So, below, the trailer may be downloaded (zipped). Enjoy!

Below this is the actual scenario. This has been played through 4 times by me, so it should be very functional. There might be some difficulty in it. This is intentional. I would describe it as an easy scenario, with moderate difficulty in the middle. :D

Enjoy, and please post any comments!
[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

I don't know what is happening here, but when I try to download thiese units all i aget is a blank screen.
When this has happened in the past, it was because the Forum thread was screwed up and neededto be "reset".
Is this the case here?
I have been able to successfully download other scenarios subsequent to trying these, so is the problem here or with the Forum???

Texas Bill

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi, Texas Bill, and thanks for alerting me.

This is fixed, so you should be able to download now.

Return to “User-created Scenarios”