The citadel

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
sakasiru

The citadel

Postby sakasiru » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:02 pm

I finally decided not to upload a easier version. However, I decreased the food reqiremets a tiny little bit and placed more clues about it in the info screen ;) . Messages now show up in the ticker also, so they can be reread.
I also cut down raider and vagrant numbers for reasons of game speed.
Also made some more minor changes.

A big thanks to all my faithful playtesters!

So now here I present:

The Citadel

This scenario is not historically or geographically corresponding with reality, but I hope it is fun to play on both a nice city map and a huge world map. It involves both monuments and military, but with what other difficulties you have to deal depends on your decisions and actions alone! :)

There are two versions available, a normal (prettier :o ) one, and one where I deleted a good number of sprites, if the game is too slow on your computer. The trees are still there, but you can delete them yourself if needed. I concentrated on rocks, animals and other things which you can´t get rid of yourself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sakasiru on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarlahotep

Finally Finished

Postby Nyarlahotep » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Whew, i finally got CotN to install on my new computer and this was the first scenario i chose to play after quite some time. Oww it hurt my brain at first, in the best way of course. Had to restart after i failed to help any of the victims of the failed flood and my city was over run by vagrants and raiders. And then i forgot to put barge landings on the far banks for my laborers to haul the statue blanks for Pharaoh's project. I spent many years playing around with my laborers trying to get them to haul those statues. poor guys it was my fault all along. anyway i wanted to post some pics and say thanks for the awesome scenario. the detail on the city map was very nice. and the world map was fun fun too. I can't believe no one else has posted a review.

pic 1 - a complete* view of the citadel
pic 2 - all those farmers sure caused some traffic jams
pic 3 - lots and lots of protesting after i gave away all our food to those starving villages
pic 4 - i had an unusually high number of stuck merchant ships, wasn't a problem i had about 6-10 of each merchant in my city at a time
pic 5 - win screen :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi!

:) :) :) Thanks for playing! :) :) :)

Actually there were some reviews, since I had posted the scenario in the editing forum before, and some kind souls put the task on them and playtested it. ;)

But its a gooood feeling to finally get a response here. I was already worrying it was still too hard :D

Thanks for the pics, too! Did some ships of the same trader that got stuck there manage to slip through or did they all get stuck at some point? I´m a bit confused here, since all my ships in dozens of test games always took the route right to the emerald mine, not left as in your pic... I´m glad this didn´t prevent you from winning the game!

Nyarlahotep

Postby Nyarlahotep » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:06 am

no not all the merchamts got stuck there, some were stuck on the other end of the river and some were simply beached on the banks leading up to the emerald mine. Luckily they were all merchants rather than traders though so i didnt lose any upkeep. In fact they diverted all the raiders, who stole the goods from the merchants instead of my nobles

Bahamas

I have a problem

Postby Bahamas » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:24 pm

Could any1 tell me how to install the scenarios onto the game? I mean i downloaded the scenario and then when i click it the thingy about what browser should i use to open this link n wierd stuff like that come up...
help please?

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:42 pm

"Bahamas" wrote:Could any1 tell me how to install the scenarios onto the game? I mean i downloaded the scenario and then when i click it the thingy about what browser should i use to open this link n wierd stuff like that come up...
help please?

You find first where TiltedMill is (mine is on drive D: ), so
TiltedMill - Children of the Nile - data - scenarios

Hope this helps :)

texasmine

The Citadel Has Fallen!

Postby texasmine » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:12 pm

I have been playing the "fast" version for days now...it's been on automatic since 3:00 yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, because of all the sprites I simply have to surrender since NOTHING is happening....I'll return when I get a new game card, etc.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:07 am

Hi texasmine!

Sorry to hear it doesn´t run on your computer. Have you tried deleting the woods?

Is it just very slow or doesn´t time flow at all?

texasmine

Postby texasmine » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:22 pm

The game slows when I get too many buildings, people, etc, so I'm now in the process of destroying your beautiful map....the scenario is too much fun to abandon altogether since it'll be a couple of weeks at least b/4 I can get the video card updated.

amaiden

issues with statues

Postby amaiden » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:37 am

I am sorry to bother you but help please. I cannot figure out why the labours won't haul the statues across the river. I have barges and landings on both sides of the Nile. Please help.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:13 pm

Howdy, Amaiden!

Well, your save is causing waaay to much lag on my pitiful computer, so I am having a LOT of difficulty trying my bag-o-tricks. I cannot find anything wrong. You are not reserving basalt & your landings stick out into deep water.

Clicking on the two lg basalt blanks next to your quarry & using the shift key show that they are not triggered to a site. Clicking on your bases gives the new message with v1.3 Enhancement "materials blocked by water", but they are not.

I have never seen so many barges in one save before & you also have placed a lot of landings. When I played this scenario, I had troubles with landings on the narrow waterways causing blockages. I wonder if the game has become overwhelmed.

You have a lot of stuck peddlers, donkeys & merchant ships & I don't believe they are all caused by that one set of Lux shops improperly turned (but some of them are caused by this).

What I am trying (but it is taking forever), is to delete & rebuild the statue bases to reset triggers, deleting most of your landings (none left on narrow waterways) & rebuilding, & also building new statue bases near to the quarry to use up the old so I can quarry new ones. I immediately changed all your overseers to construction. Or, that is the plan.

Unfortunately, we cannot delete barges.

This really needs to be looked at by someone with a better computer. Hopefully, my comments will help. I see 8 downloads of your save so far, so others looking at it also. ;)

I DO have one question. Was this scenario played entirely on Enhanced v1.3 or did you patch in the middle? Your language version might also help, along with whether or not you are using the cd or Steam version of the game. I am on US CD version.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amaiden

Postby amaiden » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:00 pm

I have tried tearing them all down and rebuilding but to no avail. I have the US cd version. The game is played entirely with the enhanced version 1.3.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:19 pm

I had a quick look at your city. I too am puzzled why don't your labourers haul basalt to statue base. Some notes though. You have one huge city and two big labour camps. The other one is far away over the hills with NO ROADS. I saw labourers zigzagging over hills to the main city and that must take hours away of their working time. Dear friend, build some roads for them! Personally I try to avoid labour camps if I can, although in this scenario there was one for basalt quarrying (played the early version and posted in that thread), but it had most of the services in the main city anyway.

There is a pretty spectacular 'chaos' of ships in a narrow river. :eek: And only one barge landing on that side of the river, lots on the other side though. If this is relevant don't know.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:38 pm

If it helps any...

Sakasiru began this scenario with a Beta test in the Editing Section of the Forum & that is where I played. I have not played the version here, but I don't think the map has changed that much. It was played on v1.2.

I just reloaded it & placed a Brickyard, a large standing (the one required for a win) & small lesser Isis (new 1.3 type) statue on the "problem" side of the Nile. They were built via barges with no problems. I believe this means that it is possible. This map has some accidental pathing issues I believe with the narrow waterways.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:52 pm

Ok, I am making progress on your save, Amaiden!

This is a new post, cuz I don't want you to get my post immediately above confused. That was from my old play of the scenario.

Please keep my previous first post in mind, especially deleting the landings on the narrow waterways. I believe the narrow waterways are fine as long as we don't stick a pier out in the middle of them. I deleted all the others. You really don't need a lot of landings in this scenario. Three, I think. One for each side of the map & a 3rd for the one southern island. One thing I learned a loooong time ago about COTN is that barges are VERY picky. Landings that work perfectly for World Map trading, refuse to work for barges, even if a barge produced by a shipwright docks there. Most problems with barges are caused by the landing not sticking out into DEEP water. Here, it appears to be caused by the narrow waterways, I believe.

1) Anyway, I went along trying to solve all the pathing issues I could (including rebuilding the lux shops). Here is another (image #1). COTN doesn't like us to build close to the map edge. Also, the game automatically picks entry points for donkeys & ships & it depends on where we build, different with each play. I'm not sure the following is critical to fixing your problem, but...

There are a TON of donkeys up in the air in this image. I believe this is a pathing issue & caused by your building there so close to the map edge. Their pathway is blocked. So I deleted the Overseer & moved him so new donkeys & water merchants could get through. The old stuck ones will remain & can be ignored. The World Map site will send new ones each year.

2) I forgot to mention that when I played this scenario, I placed plaza roads around the small sphinxes so I would place the large basalt statues in the exact same spot. Does this affect the pathing? Possibly. Anyway, I did it again in your save. Double-width plaza roads, actually. It looks like this might have solved the problem, or just deleting all the landings on narrow waterways (possibly both?) solved the problem, along with the time it required for the changes to take effect.

Anyway Image #2. You can see the warning messages are gone & one of your two large basalt blanks have been triggered to this required spot (verify by white lines when clicking on the basalt sled next to quarry with the shift key held down. Yes, these are deleted & rebuilt bases. None of them show "materials blocked by water" any longer. Laborers are going to the basalt & I am positive they will barge across the river now.

I will let you know in about two weeks on lagtime. :D

Give all of this a try! :)

EDIT: And add a few more stonecarvers. You only have one ;)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarlahotep

Postby Nyarlahotep » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:11 pm

I had thius problem also for quite some time until i figured out that the river is branched and i needed to put barge landings in 4 places to cover all the banks

amaiden

Postby amaiden » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:13 am

Thank you all for your help. I finally completed the scenario.

Nyarlahotep

Postby Nyarlahotep » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:56 am

Congratulations! :D

MoonHeart

Postby MoonHeart » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:57 pm

Really, really

Really hard! :eek:

But exciting :D

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:38 pm

By popular demand, Yahya asked for some images from this scenario. These images are from the beta version in the Editing Section.

Enjoy! :)

EDIT: Lab Report! This scenario was created on v1.2 I believe. I just downloaded both .scn files from Post #1. They both load & run fine on either v1.3.01 or Alexandria. No worries!
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “User-created Scenarios”