Exile

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
sakasiru

Exile

Postby sakasiru » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:22 pm

Sakasiru proudly presents:

Exile

A brand new scenario from the hot egyptian desert!

You have been sent to exile by your treacherous uncle. You will struggle for your life and those of your few faithful servants, but you never forget that the throne of the two kingdoms is rightfully yours. Get it back, whether by arms or by charm...

very small map
few ressources
few food
few villagers
depend on trade and tariffs
playable with a small army or entirely without military!

Edit: Updated version uploaded due to small bug.
Edit2: uploaded another update: not shown requiremets deleted.

Edit 3: Since scenario files are no longer hosted by Tilted Mill, I have resurfaced a copy and uploaded it at http://cotn.heavengames.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sakasiru on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:56 pm

That's an interesting idea. :p

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:48 pm

Looks very interesting indeed :) You seem to create very extreme maps: a huge beautiful one, and now a tiny, very barren looking one. ;) :D And like Yahya said, an interesting idea indeed.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:53 pm

So I played one year of this, just to see how it started. Very promising, Sakasiru.

But, now SWIV will look like a copy. :eek: :p

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:10 am

It all started with just a lab over trading prices :p

I know there are similar scenarios out there, but I havent played many, so I hope I didn´t steal any ideas... Especially not one not even published yet :eek:

"Kiya" wrote:Looks very interesting indeed :) You seem to create very extreme maps: a huge beautiful one, and now a tiny, very barren looking one.

Yes, I tend to look for the unusual. :) Btw, I seem to be the only one who first creates the map and then makes the story, world map and triggers around it? :confused:

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:13 am

"Yahya" wrote:So I played one year of this, just to see how it started. Very promising, Sakasiru.

Thanks! :D I just hope I didn´t mess something up again :o

"Yahya" wrote:But, now SWIV will look like a copy. :eek: :p

Oh, no! I didn´t want that! :eek: But everyone knows you´ve been working on this for some time, so its no way a copy.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:19 am

HELP!

:eek:

:D

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:01 am

"sakasiru" wrote:Btw, I seem to be the only one who first creates the map and then makes the story, world map and triggers around it? :confused:

Actually, I think I am the only one who does the story first. Maybe thegrad and Karter as well.

I think most people follow Matt Zimmitti's advice and make a map first.

I personally need a really strong story, so I write that first, and figure out all the characters and plot points.

I then make a trigger plan, to tell that story.

After that is debugged, I make a map to figure out what all my sites will be on the world map.

I then build the world map (without resource requirements), and then the triggers, and test both sides of things, with no requirements from the nome. That is far easier. Once that is done, I make the nome level, and test that to see if it functions the way I want. Once that is true, I add the resource requirements on the world map, and play through to see how it plays. If necessary, I tweak requirements on the WM and retest. That way, I only have to play the whole scenario two or three times to get it where I want it.

My triggers tend to be many, so it is FAR easier to just do them first and run through testing them at 5.0 speed. If I had done the map first on SWIII, I'd have never finished. I had to run through the triggers about ten times. That alone would have taken me something like 40 or 50 hours. Far too long. As it was, it took me about 5 to 10 hours. This one was quite bug-laden. :p

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:31 am

Ugh... Dat wuz HARD! :eek:

but

I absolutely loved the Win Screen, sakasiru. No images yet, cuz it might give too much away.

Thank you! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:54 pm

I have uploaded a new version. Tinkerbell pointed out that a trigger was missing, so I added it now. :o Sorry, and thanks, Tink!

It´s a minor bug,
(Spoiler)
that prevents the hired raiders from showing up in your city

so if you have the first version and are in the middle of the game, just continue.
Last edited by sakasiru on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarlahotep

Yay!

Postby Nyarlahotep » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:22 am

Small, complex and unique! a tiny jewel of a scenario.
did end up with HUGE discrepancies between the Treasury report and the amount of food listed on the WL, often 0-300 showing up in my report, maybe 0-300(but never matching up with the report numbers) in the bakeries and DOP's and then thousands listed when looking at a WL site requiring food activation. Very odd and I loved it! :confused: :D
Last edited by Nyarlahotep on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:44 pm

@ Nyarlahotep

Did you have TOO MUCH food on world level?! :eek:

If yes, can you post a savegame?

btw: beautiful screenshot!
Last edited by sakasiru on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:33 pm

I only wish I had too much food anywhere ... :eek:

26 years for Nyarlahotep! Waaaay kewl! :)

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:02 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:26 years for Nyarlahotep! Waaaay kewl! :)

I think I need glasses but I see 36 years. ;) Well done in any case. :)

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:42 pm

"Yahya" wrote:Actually, I think I am the only one who does the story first. Maybe thegrad and Karter as well.

I think most people follow Matt Zimmitti's advice and make a map first.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I always need the story idea first. I need the inspiration from it to spur me to do the work to make the map, WL, triggers etc. That's why I haven't done very many scenarios. ;)

I do make the map first before doing the world level, but I pretty much plan everything out on paper (map, WL, triggers, goals) before I open the editor. :)

Nyarlahotep

Here are two saves. . .

Postby Nyarlahotep » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:55 pm

the first one is maybe 2 hours into it i think with over almost 1900 food on the WL and none on the Nome
the second is pretty close to the end where there is over 4k on the WL and only 400 or so in the Nome.

I tried all sorts of things to coax that food into my bakeries, I built granaries, I tore down granaries, i placed extra DOP's, I tried to use it for edicts(no such luck) but was never able to make it show up in any noticeable amount in my food report, thus my people often starved but I never had to hesitate to open a WL site with a high food requirement

I don't mean to suggest that I never had food in my bakeries it's just that it was rarely more that 400 and never more than 1000
I didn't notice anything funny about the WL food until I opened the spy camp and was looking at bribing the priest, when I was suddenly hit with the fact that, except for prestige I could very nearly win.
After I noticed the large amount of food, I noticed that it seemed to steadily increase year after year.
Looking back the only thing i can think is that i never had a scribe count fields really, so perhaps through some sort of bug it got diverted to Pharoah's offshore secret WL granary

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:56 pm

"Jimaaten" wrote:I can't speak for anyone else, but I always need the story idea first. I need the inspiration from it to spur me to do the work to make the map, WL, triggers etc. That's why I haven't done very many scenarios. ;)

I do make the map first before doing the world level, but I pretty much plan everything out on paper (map, WL, triggers, goals) before I open the editor. :)

Indeed. It is the story idea that keeps me going. I wrote the basic storyline for Sand Wars in August, 2007. I know where the story is going, so I feel compelled to finish it, even if my original goal is completely shot. :D

Nyarlahotep

Design order

Postby Nyarlahotep » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:01 pm

Usually I start with something I want to try in the editor, which usually gives me some idea for a scenario challenge. But when It comes down to making the scenario i usually to my City Map first. Then I come up with a story to fit the challenge, and then I start on WL and trigger's not included in the initial testing in the editor

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:37 am

Do you find that you have more World Map food than city food as usual for your gameplay, Nyarlahotep? Or was this scenario special for you?

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:45 am

@ Nyarlahotep:

This is really funny :confused:

The food in your report matches the food in your bakeries and dops. Maybe some food in dops is not shown because there are more than 4 items in it, but if they get clearer it matches.

The WL food is completely out of control. I´ve never seen that and certainly didn´t write this in the scenario. :eek:
I have found that it increases and decreases a bit according to your nome food, but not due to a certain factor. No idea where it comes from.

Return to “User-created Scenarios”