Den Deisha: 41st Century Egypt #3

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Popspatra

Den Deisha: 41st Century Egypt #3

Postby Popspatra » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:33 pm

Here you have the Red Sea port city of Den Deisha. It has its own set of problems which you must overcome. And then you have to keep Pharaoh (your older brother) happy.

[11/30/08 : uploaded fresh version. Corrected Map Label oversight.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Popspatra on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:33 am

Hey thanks Popspatra. I really enjoyed your other two scenarios and was looking for a new one. Keep up the good work. :)

wendyology

Postby wendyology » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:30 pm

I'm not able to download the file. It just comes up as clear.gif

Popspatra

Postby Popspatra » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:38 am

"wendyology" wrote:I'm not able to download the file. It just comes up as clear.gif

Tried to correct a minor problem this morning - didn't work right. Then for several hours got database error when attempt to fix that. Now, it will not upload - gives me a gazillion error messages.

Will try again tomorrow. Hopefully Webmaster will be at work and fix whatever went wacko.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:23 am

Yep. I just tried a sample file upload. Manage Attachments is definitely broken at the moment.

Popspatra

Postby Popspatra » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:30 pm

"wendyology" wrote:I'm not able to download the file. It just comes up as clear.gif

Managed to re-loadit as of 13:30, CST 12/01/08

Popspatra

Postby Popspatra » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:31 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Yep. I just tried a sample file upload. Manage Attachments is definitely broken at the moment.

Managed to re-load it as of 13:30 CST, 12/01/08.

wendyology

Postby wendyology » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks, I downloaded it yesterday!

I've played it a bit and it looks quite challenging.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:23 pm

Thanks for a great and tricky scenario! Really had to watch out for the gold production. Great challenge, I loved that!

A hint for new players, build three small pyramids rather than one medium one. If I had done that myself I think I would have got less grey in my hair. :D

The city layout was not what I would have preferred, but since there already were some buildings plus the amount of bricks was very much limited in the early years, so I had to put up with what was given. ;)
The great obelisk was finished after the win screen.

One thing I'd have preferred not to see were the slave girls, or their part in the otherwise most interesting and entertaining story that went on beside the tasks the player was fulfilling. You could have done it without blinding them and piercing their ear drums and all that? :(
You know there are a lot of us women playing these games.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Popspatra

Postby Popspatra » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:23 am

"Kiya" wrote:Thanks for a great and tricky scenario! ...

One thing I'd have preferred not to see were the slave girls, or their part in the otherwise most interesting and entertaining story that went on beside the tasks the player was fulfilling. You could have done it without blinding them and piercing their ear drums and all that? :(
You know there are a lot of us women playing these games.

Fair enough. The point was to challenge the "wisdom" of Pharaoh. I suppose it could have been made in a different manner - it just kind of happened that way. If I offended, I apologize.

clayson4908

Postby clayson4908 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:11 pm

Fun game -- I certainly enjoyed the WP. I tried building the cult temple on the opposite side of the river but couldn't get them to haul the statue so I moved it to the pryamid complex. I had a real problem keeping the Nobles (6) happy -- not sure why they kept complaining about Entertainers (8) and Court (2) -- must have been my layout. This is a much different city than I normally build -- that made it interesting all by itself.

Popspatra

Postby Popspatra » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:30 pm

"clayson4908" wrote:Fun game -- ...This is a much different city than I normally build -- that made it interesting all by itself.

Scenario design has been an interesting experience for me. I tend to build cities big enough to attain the goal(s) - and generally no more than that. Watching people use my scenarios here and elsewhere shows me that I am unusual in that regard.

Perhaps I should change my thinking. The fouth installment is stalled at the moment and probably needs a re-think ...

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:44 pm

"Popspatra" wrote:Scenario design has been an interesting experience for me. I tend to build cities big enough to attain the goal(s) - and generally no more than that. Watching people use my scenarios here and elsewhere shows me that I am unusual in that regard.

Perhaps I should change my thinking. The fouth installment is stalled at the moment and probably needs a re-think ...
I tend to do the same thing; of course too many buildings and my computer starts to lag. :o

As far as rethinking your approach to design, I wouldn't. When I do a scenario I make it something I'd like to play. I try to take other play styles into account, but in the end it's better to make it the way you would want it. It keeps the fun in it for me and worrying about whether X or Y will want it this way or that makes it too much like work. :D

clayson4908

Postby clayson4908 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:54 pm

"Popspatra" wrote:Scenario design has been an interesting experience for me. I tend to build cities big enough to attain the goal(s) - and generally no more than that. Watching people use my scenarios here and elsewhere shows me that I am unusual in that regard.

I have started several scenarios and never completed one -- I either find that someone else has already developed a scenario very similar (and better) than mine or I just get stuck.

For me the fun part is the city -- I really enjoy building the city and exploring new, more complex cities and ceremonial spaces. I have posted several pictures, generally in scenarios by the grad -- they have maps that I tend to enjoy. I have really enjoyed your series and hope you don't rethink the general idea to much -- it is fun to have different challenges. This map was great, it was interesting trying to adapt my style to the map, forcing me to build a much more functional than ceremonial city. I really liked the challenge -- thanks :D

texasmine

No statues, obelisks

Postby texasmine » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 pm

I have tried to purchase grand obelisks and large statues. Although I get a message saying the item has been delivered, it never shows up! Not only do I deplete the gold, I can't get the prestige, the temple or the monument.

CharleyK1

Postby CharleyK1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:13 pm

I enjoyed this one Popspatra, thanks! I'm not sure if you are still reading forum posts here, but I thought I'd try giving you the thumbs up. The off-beat humor is not as important as the well designed map and "chain" of world map sites, but it's funny in it's way. As one player/reader posts, you might modify it to make it more politically correct - the pharaoh could be just as wise if he ponders a while then brilliantly thinks of the poor, but beautiful women of the deaf & blind institute just down the plaza, across from the turban shop - friendlier and off-beat funny, yes?

Anyway, thanks again for a scenario that plays well!

Popspatra

Postby Popspatra » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:20 pm

Thanks. I've gotten grief about that, but I thought it was in keeping with the era. These people were not nice people - at least not nice by modern standards. When they took a city, they thought nothing of slaying all males 12 years and up, enslaving the rest and keeping the young virgins as toys. That kind of thinking is even recorded in the Old Testament.

Return to “User-created Scenarios”