Imhotep - The Scenario

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
tomnobles

Imhotep - The Scenario

Postby tomnobles » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:25 pm

Medium map - for Enhanced version & above.

Imhotep
He was possibly the world's first named architect who built Egypt's first pyramid, is often recognized as the world's first doctor, a priest,. scribe, sage, poet, astrologer, and a vizier and chief minister, though this role is unclear, to Djoser (reigned 2630–2611 BC), the second king of Egypt's third dynasty. He may have lived under as many as four kings. An inscription on one of the kings statues gives us Imhotep's titles as the "chancellor of the king of lower Egypt", the "first one under the king", the "administrator of the great mansion", the "hereditary Noble", the "high priest of Heliopolis", the "chief sculptor", and finally the "chief carpenter".

In this scenario you'll be the Architect, High Priest, Scribe and Vizier to King Djoser. Test your managerial skills (will define micromanagement for you) with this scenario as you supervise priests, scribes and farmers of your nobles in service to your king. You'll need to:

1. Open trade with the oasis cities for necessary resources.
2. Then you'll need to store the necessary materials and condiments to build and stock the tomb for your king as he goes on a journey with Osiris.
* Materials = 3000 bricks
* Condiments = 4000 wheat, 2000 barley, 1000 onions
* and 50 gold plus sandals an furniture for comfort in the afterlife.
3. Then you'll need to re-build the home of Osiris at Djedu.
4. Then build a morturary temple for your king's tomb.
5. Finally - build the Step Pyramid for Djoser.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tomnobles on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added Sandals Pic.

thesniperdevil

Postby thesniperdevil » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:50 pm

yo- not had the chance to play this- but I LOVVE the clay pit idea! don't mind if i blag the concept for any amps I work on?

T

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:38 am

No, don't mind at all, go right ahead. I'have made a part of the high flood before, so it fills up with water at high flood. Enhanced editor crashes too much, so I haven't tried it lately.

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:43 am

So what size pyramid we talking here Tom? I thought we couldn't build Step Pyramids in CotN. :( I don't want to make a true pyramid before its time. :( Rename it Snefru if that's the case. :p
Last edited by Amun Nefer on Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:05 am

It's a World Level monument. Before its time - we're talking Imhotep here. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amun Nefer
Location: New York, New York! If I can make it here--I'll make it-Anywhere! It's up to you New York, New York!

Postby Amun Nefer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:20 am

Ah I see, clever. :D the pyramid today is in remarkably good shape. :) So good job Tom. ^^

amaiden

Postby amaiden » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:43 pm

Thank you, was fun

win.jpg

eddiedoherty

Crash alert

Postby eddiedoherty » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi,
I think I must be doing something wrong as this scenario repeatedly crashes on me at exactly the same point. I have been playing it for a while and have got most of my infrastructure in place. I have just set up a labour camp to mine copper, (although naturally, the four labourers living by the mine have hiked acrosss the map to go and quarry limestone!) but just as a second new large mastaba is 5% complete, the game freezes for a short while then crashes out to the desktop with no error messages.

I have reloaded it several times and did a manual save just before the crash happens to me (attached). I have tried adjusting the game speed, moving the map to a different area, selecting a different object, crossing my fingers, but it still crashes every time at the same point.

I am currently patched to version CotN_v1.3.0.1_UK.exe and have completed the Alexandria add-on. I did have some other crashes to the desktop during this time, but that seemed to have been resolved after I stopped overclocking my PC. I am really enjoying getting back into this fantastic game after a while away from it, and like this scenario and hope to be able to carry on and finish it. maybe I will try trashing the mastaba before it starts building, or sacking those idiot labourers to see if that alters whatever it is that is causing this crash? I just had one last go, whilst taking the screenshots and this time, after I unpaused it, the mastaba only reached 4%, so that's a step in the wrong direction!

Ok, something funny is going on here. I couldn't find the screenshots, so I tried again and this time the game crashed on 1% completed. IT'S GETTING WORSE!!! Forget the screenshots... I give up.

Anyone got any ideas? :confused:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:08 pm

Howdy, eddiedoherty!

I loaded your save on Alexandria & it does exactly as you describe. Crash! My game does not crash. Your save does!

I cannot find a reason either.

I would suggest you don't build roads in front of quarries/mines & neither up to landings, but these should not cause a crash.

I have, in the past, seen players who build lots of roads under buildings for beautification have problems with crashes & other problems.

Sorry, but this is all I found in your save. Nice double city!

With v1.3.01 & after, your snapshots will be found in your My Documents folder.

EDIT: I tried playing around with removing the road to your copper mine & got the game not to crash one time. Unfortunately I could not reproduce it. The Laborer wants to place a storage area & your map has no other SA to use cuz you have deleted the one that comes with the palace. I'm assuming the road uses up the space that the SA would like to be built in. I'm not saying this is this cause, just some of the things I am looking at. However, the timing of your first laborer to arrive at that mine & the crash drew my attention. The one time it didn't crash the laborer only mined for a for second or two & then built the SA (this was after I deleted the road the first time).

There is also a sled in front of your fine limestone quarry w/o a block on it. This is not good either.

It is difficult to isolate things when a full city is in motion. It could be so many different things or things in combination.

I also tried playing on only v1.3.01 but it crashed on loading, so this told me that it is an Alexandria save.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.

eddiedoherty

Food for thought

Postby eddiedoherty » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:58 am

Hey Tink!

Thanks for the timely reply. I knew I could rely on you. You have raised some interesting points. I have always been a great one for building roads and plazas, as I recently mentioned in my post about my Pharaoh dying as soon as he stuck his head out of the palace. I generally lay them out once my palace is placed so that I can get a feel for how I am going to develop my city, and where the nearest resources are. I am definitely guilty of placing plazas under buildings to try to make the place look beautiful. Complete waste of time in reality, but it takes me away from how my own house looks! I wish I had some nice floor tiles under my feet instead of the ragged, hairy carpet that my cat leaves me with. Talk about a little Bast. As you say, there should be no reason that this should cause a crash, and I have completed many games in this way with no problem, but you never know?

I never looked at the mine after checking the 4 labourers houses in front of it and seeing that they were all going to mine limestone, so the one you saw mining copper must have taken the opposite route and come from the limestone quarry to mine copper. Hopefully in a future version, we will be able to assign them to an overseer or to a task individually as we do with the overseer to save them wearing out their sandals!

I did remove the default SA from the palace; another of my "things", but only after I had placed 4 other SA's in a row closer to my barge landings and next to my 4-man city labourers to handle statues and obelisks. I take your point about the SA at a mine, though. Never thought about that before. I don't suppose placing one there myself would help, as you can't designate it for the mine, can you? As for the empty sled in front of the quarry, your guess is as good as mine. It is obviously being exported in exchange for other goods, but this should remove the empty sled too, so maybe that is a minor bug within the core game itself? I have now found the screenshots. Thanks. I was looking in the old folder.

Right. I am off to try deleting those roads and watching those nitwit labourers and will see if I can get it to work as you did.

COVER ME. I'M GOING IN!!!!! :eek:
Last edited by eddiedoherty on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added snapshot

eddiedoherty

In brief

Postby eddiedoherty » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:10 am

Well, that didn't last long! Sure enough, I spotted the approaching twit and saw that his house was on the other side of the map by the limestone quarry, but, having removed the road from the mine area and deleted all the trees, grass and rubbish on the ground from the general area in order to give him room to place a SA, the game crashed out before he had even reached the mine!

I guess that rules another theory out. I'm going back in. Who needs sleep?

eddiedoherty

and again

Postby eddiedoherty » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:28 am

Tried again. Deleted roads from quarry areas too. I did see what appeared to be an empty sled, which was the only one I think you could have been talking about, but when I clicked on it, it said it was carrying fine limestone, so this may just be a graphical glitch due to the piling up of sleds in that area.

I also noticed that my overseer was buried in a rock at the copper mine. I tried to take a snapshot of this, but only the one of the sled is in the folder, so I guess that is another mystery. The labourer still didn't make it to the mine, so maybe the overseer has got stuck? Or maybe the game just hates me? Third time lucky? Don't wait up.

eddiedoherty

Spotted something

Postby eddiedoherty » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:39 am

Not even fourth time lucky. Ho-hum.

I did spot something different on the third attempt and it repeated on the fourth. I hadn't noticed it before, but that could just be me. I was focused on the mine and had selected a departing labourer, his arriving workmate from across the water and the overseer in the rock at thr front of the mine.

Just before the game froze and then crashed out, xxx appeared in the message area, as if a message was trying to be displayed but could not. Is this the culprit? I am going to keep trying. I re-saved the game imediately before this event, having removed the roads, etc.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:27 am

Storage Areas are different from DOPs. They look the same but function differently. Never confuse the two. We place DOPS for imports. The game places SAs for mines & initial start game food & bricks (along with cheat codes :D ).

The main reason I do not delete the Palace SA is that it allows me to click on it, since I know where it is, & then display arrow-cycle to all of my mines. This way, I don't have to hunt for them. The reason I mentioned it, is that if there is not enough room for the game to place a mine SA, or if there is a different mine close enough with a SA, then the new mine will not get one. I was thinking that if your problem was due to the road near the mine, the game would not get confused & crash, the laborer would just walk to your palace SA with his copper.

Now about your crash. I believe your save is too close to the crash to actually prevent it (even though I got it to run past the crash point one time). Things were already in motion, this motion is saved in the save & perhaps cannot be fixed in this save. In total, I watched your save crash about 15 times for comparison when I made my previous post. Each time, trying something different. ;)

The limestone empty sled of course is not empty. However, this type of thing means the game is in confusion mode. Again, I don't like your road in front of the quarry exit space.

As for the Overseer, that is just a graphics thing & has no effect on the game. It happens a lot in everyone's game & is related to map design. I admit I would never design a map with a crowded front of a mine by placing rocks there.

Roads appear to be special in the game. They are a warning to the game "do not use this tile". As an example, villagers & vagrants will never build their huts on top of a road & the game will never place a SA on top of a road. Roads near landings can cause issues with loading/unloading ships. Again, "do not use this tile". Building close to quarry exit areas can also cause issues.

With plaza roads under buildings, it is a hit or miss thing. A little is OK, a lot can cause trouble. Perhaps it has to do with the total roads on the entire map. Some players have no troubles with roads under buildings & others do.

I just saw a crash in COTN, a game that does not crash for me in my games, & see roads I would never make. I have looked at a lot of crash saves or problem saves where the game malfunctions, posted here over the years & if they had one thing in common, it was road situations. Can I prove roads caused them? Nope. I'm guessing here & trying to give suggestions to try to prevent it in the future.

I believe there are critical areas in the game & we should stay clear of them. You broke every one of them. ;)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:00 am, edited 12 times in total.

eddiedoherty

Relief

Postby eddiedoherty » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:09 am

Can't argue with any of that mate. Nice tip about the mine locating using the SA. I didn't know I could do that and I hate hunting the map to find them. I only just noticed that there was a tin mine round the corner from my Fine Limestone quarry.

I was thinking along the same lines myself, which is why I tried loading a slightly earlier auto-save. Since the earlier crashes, I had set this to every 2 minutes. Annoying, but helpful if it does crash. I only went back 4 minutes, but it allowed me to build my mastabas that little bit sooner, ready for the imminent Pharaoh death, thus protecting myself a bit from the prestige drop of before. My new Pharaoh was also 5 years younger than in the crashing game. I also went onto the world level map and opened up trade with 2 new sites.

Whatever it was, this new course of action prevented the crash from happening and I have just finished the scenario! I would love to know exactly what it was, but I am sure that the mysterious "xxx" that appeared in the message box must be linked to it, as it no longer appeared when I completed the game. Anyhoo, you might still be up, but you are, what, 6, 7 or 8 hours behind me? It is just after 4am here in freezing London, and I am pooped, so I am off to bed.

If nothing else, this has increased the number of posts I have made! Maybe I will soon not be referred to as a "Vagrant", which is both funny and highly insulting! (Thinks... I must get over this depression and get a job. I've been unemployed for over 3 years now. Thinks some more... but then I wouldn't have as much time to play COTN. Nah, stick with the benefits! A vagrant it is then)

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:34 am

You made good time for having so many problems. Thanks for playing and screen shots of your city are ok also. :)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:48 pm

"eddiedoherty" wrote:Whatever it was, this new course of action prevented the crash from happening and I have just finished the scenario!

Bravo, eddiedoherty! A Win Sceeen definitely well earned & deserved!

:)

CharleyK1

Postby CharleyK1 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm

It reminds me of a "sticky" idea from the scenario creation forum...

To paraphrase, save early, save often! :D

You never know when you might need to go back a bit to "save" a game. The complexity of the game engine seems to result in the occasional hiccup and going back a bit always seems to be the ultimate solution when all other attempts fail.

I don't rely on autosave at all. While I was still learning, I developed the habit of saving with the ".scn" name and the year, doing so every few years. A great tool when learning, it allowed me to go DUH! - THAT approach won't work for that problem, let me go back and try something else. I've kept up the habit, so on the rare occasion when there's a "freeze" of some sort, I can go back a few years and do something different in my play. As EddieDoherty found, going back far enough and just doing some different things, combined with the complex engine, make it VERY unlikely for the same "crash" to occur. When I solve a scenario, I go back and delete all my saves except the first and the last one prior to the win screen to clean up my disk but still allow me to look at them for forum questions.

Return to “User-created Scenarios”