Menes' Victory

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Ironlion45

Menes' Victory (now Version 2.0!)

Postby Ironlion45 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:18 am

*UPDATE* I've attached links to the downloads here, as attachments still don't seem to work; and also old attachments have been lost. due to whatever with the forums. *UPDATE*

This scenario is my painstakingly created attempt at recreating the unification of upper and lower Egypt, c.3150 BC. It was made with COTN v1.3.0.1, and probably will crash if you use it with any other version.

I have made the scenario as a map that I want to play- it fits my playing style, and focuses on the 'grand city' aspect of CotN (the most important part of the game), with plenty of things to do on the world map to make it more interesting. It might not be action-packed enough for those who like more militaristic scenarios, but it has a fair amount of fighting in it too.

It is semi-historical; in that I tried to stay true to the spirit of this ancient era of Egyptian history to as large an extent as possible. There are notable exceptions for the sake of making gameplay "fun"; you can build pyramids even though it is a little too early yet in the period in which it takes place. I have also included trade with Lebanon and Nubia, which really didn't occur until around the 6th dynasty; once again, this is added to make it more interesting and fun to play. Also, some monuments and resource sites do not necessarily have an historical basis. All crops are available- wheat, barley, onions, and lettuce, even though really the only main crop ever grown in this period was plain old barley. Lastly, the game map contains grapes, which are at least 600-700 years too early to be domesticated... but I like them so I have included them. :p

The scenario does hold true to history in the location and selection of the city-sites. I have located cult temples and religion centres in or near the cities where they actually originated. The unification of Egypt in this game is largely an economic one, but it has plenty of war for the bloodthirsty too.

The world-map model tries to replicate a traditional model of cities being assessed taxes in the form of goods, which they pay to the King and his bureaucracies. Each nome is essentially an independent entity, so long as they pay their taxes to the king and reports to his government. This too is true to the historical model.

This scenario is basically built on a sandbox principle- though you have an ultimate goal, you can delay perusing that goal for as long as you wish; the scenario isn't "won" until you found the city of Men-Nefer (which will be a hard-won achievement in the end).

The game map is fairly large, though slightly smaller than the map of "Son of Ra".

The gameplay itself is fairly easy; the map has plenty of open space to build and is rich in the abundant life and everything a healthy city needs. World map trade and tribute from vassal cities will fill in the other gaps nicely. You will not feel rushed at all to pursue your goals; in fact, final victory in this scenario will undoubtedly take many hours of gameplay to achieve. While resources and city-building will not be needlessly difficult for the player, there is a fairly limited supply of warm bodies at his disposal to begin with. It should be enough to get a large city going, but you will find you need more once you start building the large army that you need to win. Military is nothing fancy, enemies do not regenerate once vanquished, you are simply given an opportunity to move onto the next, bigger and badder enemy base to conquer, until the last fortress falls. Enemy bases will spawn raiders, however the first enemy city you encounter will not; the war won't begin until you've actually started fighting it.

I have tested it through as much as I can, but please do post here if you find any nasty surprises in the map.

This scenario was quite a labour of love :D Beginnings are always interesting and exciting. I hope some people get many hours of enjoyment from playing it.

**UPDATED TO V2.0**

Based on feedback and helpful advice from other people here, I have updated the scenario to a new version. Why a new version? Now the WM is a very different experience, and works precisely as I had intended from the beginning. I have really felt the need to properly 'finish' this scenario and make it into what I wanted it to be, so here it is!

What's different? Triggers! and more stuff. I'm going to preserve the original, as some here perhaps find a trigger-less map interesting to play.

What's new in 2.2:
-Fixed Trigger delays (now properly using "true for" in triggers to stop infinite raider spawn
-Added a message after defeating the last military site to congratulate you on your victory and show you where the Win trigger is.
-A couple spelling corrections
-Triggers to stop the raider spawn triggers after the spawning sites are defeated, just for the sake of best practices.
-Essentially, you get regular raids (from every 3 years up to annual invasions) as you face off against enemy sites; defeating one reveals the next one, until you finally take down their capitol, and then you're done. You also are warned, that taking a certain action will start the war. Once you've initiated hostilities, be prepared to follow it through, or you'll be under siege forever.

What's new in 2.0:
-Victory condition fixed, now properly triggered
-Triggers added for military site reveals
-Raiders will now attack!
-You can 'rebuild' destroyed cities (thus essentially taking them over).
-Lots more stuff on the world map
-Prestige has been scaled down significantly. There is still plenty of it.
-several more obelisks (Though I actually do like stele, sometimes)
-fixed a couple 'reveal' bugs

[COLOR="Plum"]What's the same in 2.0:
-the premise of the scenario
-the city map (save a couple very minor tweaks)
-You can continue playing indefinitely (as a sandbox) until you build Men-Nefer. (though it won't be available now until you have
conquered lower Egypt.
[/COLOR]
UPDATE!: Download links here:

Menes' Victory 1 (No triggers! But otherwise working perfectly).
Menes' Victory 2.0, for those who like the heavy fighting in this scenario. (Broken Triggers lead to infinite raider spawn!)
Menes' Victory 2.2, where I try to correct problems previously reported with the triggers in version 2.0.
Last edited by Ironlion45 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Reason: update

Ironlion45

Postby Ironlion45 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:23 am

Here is the download for the old, first version of this scenario.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ironlion45 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:05 am

hi Ironlion45!

Thanks for the scenario, it sounds very intersting 8and very well researched :eek: )

Would you mind posting an unzipped version too? I can't believe it would be too big for this site to upload :o

Ironlion45

Postby Ironlion45 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:49 am

"sakasiru" wrote:hi Ironlion45!

Thanks for the scenario, it sounds very intersting 8and very well researched :eek: )

Would you mind posting an unzipped version too? I can't believe it would be too big for this site to upload :o

***This is an old version!***
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ironlion45 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:02 am

Thank you very much! :)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:56 am

Howdy, Ironlion45!

Thank You so much for the Excellent Scenario & your first try too! :)

The Win Screen (Image #1) comes a bit early, so everyone really should Continue Play & complete the World Map, or you really miss a LOT!

Images #2 & #3 are when WM is complete with all 28 Grand Obelisks built.

If you have trouble opening the last site, Bubastis, it is due to too many activation requirements so the required 3 Envoys do not show.

Ironlion45

Postby Ironlion45 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:49 am

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Thank You so much for the Excellent Scenario & your first try too! :)
Well, its second , really :D This is a second-draft version of this same scenario that i actually tried making some time ago; with that one it was just learning how the editor works (rather complex for a game like this!). This one is the result of me starting over and re-writing that one (after installing the latest patch). [/quote]

The Win Screen (Image #1) comes a bit early, so everyone really should Continue Play & complete the World Map, or you really miss a LOT!
It came up randomly during play? or did you manage to found Men-Nefer before this happened? Founding that city is the only victory condition that (I thought) I had put in, but if it came up randomly maybe there's some kind of time delay or something else active too. I'll have to check that out.

If you have trouble opening the last site, Bubastis, it is due to too many activation requirements so the required 3 Envoys do not show.

I guess I'll have to trim something off so that people don't wonder about invisible envoys (especially since they'll likely have to wait for them to be trained since the WM asks for a bunch of them).

Images #2 & #3 are when WM is complete with all 28 Grand Obelisks built.

Beautiful city! I am pleased that you took the time to enjoy it. :) I notice people tend to build all their city-parts together, like the monuments and necropolis and stuff all sort of 'integrated'.

I made this map with so much city space because I have trouble doing that :D . I build large, grand plazas for marketplaces, wide main thoroughfares that one could lead a military parade on, statue parks, plazas and decoration for monuments, always in prominent locations, etc. And the convenient quarries across the river so that I could build the necropolis over there, since in the movies and in the stories it always seems like it is across the river. As you can tell, I'm all about the showiness and everything. :D

I also see from your screen shots that you didn't run out of people! :) This is good too, I had some concerns that people who build the same way I do might run out. You're so efficient! :p

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I will update it to address these problems you mentioned and post it on here.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:42 am

First scenario I've played with no triggers. Real nice map too.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:24 am

"Ironlion45" wrote:It came up randomly during play? or did you manage to found Men-Nefer before this happened? Founding that city is the only victory condition that (I thought) I had put in, but if it came up randomly maybe there's some kind of time delay or something else active too. I'll have to check that out.

The Win Screen came up as you wanted, when I opened Men-Nefer. I had only killed the raider site (no raiders came, by the way) at that time & was still building warships for the first fort. I didn't really need to kill any of the military sites for the Win. Neither had I opened the two later western & eastern exploration sites when I got the win. That's why the suggestion to other players to Continue Play or they will miss almost 1/2 of the World Map.

No need to change anything unless you want to. My advice to players is all they need.

The only suggestion I would add is to drop the value of your propaganda numbers on your World Map sites in your next scenario. 1900 prestige with 28 Grand Obelisks is a bit much. ;)

Thankx again! Good Luck on your next scenario! :)

"tomnobles" wrote:First scenario I've played with no triggers. Real nice map too.

No triggers, eh? That explains the no raiders. ;)

I didn't look that much at the Editor. I only checked the WM Bubastis, when there was no hand. Found the too many activation requirements & then went back to the game & waited two more years for the hand that came with 3 envoys.

...255 Educated Workers...ummm...<snot laugh>...
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

Ironlion45

Postby Ironlion45 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:55 pm

Well, I hope that this improved version with proper triggers will make the scenario as good as it should be :D .

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:33 pm

All-right, new version! Downloaded and will check-out later, kinda busy right now. :)

Ironlion45

Postby Ironlion45 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:51 pm

You'll want to grab the one I just uploaded to be sure; There seems to be some issue with WM objects in the triggers getting scrambled. Editor bug? I dunno, but I straightened them out (the one I uploaded is probably okay (spared the effects of the bug), but...just to be sure I re-uploaded it... I hate nasty editor surprises :p )
Last edited by Ironlion45 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amaiden

raiders galore

Postby amaiden » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:57 pm

okay, i understand the premise of the raiders, but there is a point where it is just too much all at once. The red on the minimap below shows a single attack spawned all at once from all 4 sides. I got so many raider attack messages at the same time. My box crashes before I can click through them all.

Up until this point, I was really enjoying the game. Thank you for your time to make such a great scenario. I just wish I could finish it. By the way, this happens on the final enemy.

Menes Raiders.jpg

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Sorry to hear this, amaiden. New scenariomakers usually have trouble learning triggers which Ironlion45 appears to have added with the new v2.0.

Ironlion45

Postby Ironlion45 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:52 pm

I have re-uploaded this scenario using my own webserver; links have been added to the OP. At any rate, attachments are, as 4 years ago when the original scenarios were uploaded!

Also: UPDATED! Yes, after all these years I got around to fixing the triggered version; 2.2 now functions as Horus intended and the raider attacks do, also.

Essentially, you get regular raids (from every 3 years up to annual invasions) as you face off against enemy sites; defeating one reveals the next one, until you finally take down their capitol, and then you're done. You also are warned, that taking a certain action will start the war. Once you've initiated hostilities, be prepared to follow it through, or you'll be under siege forever.
Last edited by Ironlion45 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:11 pm

I can't download this. I get a wall of code :(

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Files attachments on this board no longer work or exist. Over the past few years they have moved servers several times and files got lost in the process. The only chance of getting a file that you see on the board is if the person that uploaded or someone else still has a copy of it they can send you.

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:47 am

Yes, I knew file attachments were disabled. He has uploaded the file to a personal server and linked but for me, the link doesn't work.

Ironlion45

Postby Ironlion45 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:04 am

Sounds like your browser is trying to "open" the .scn file. Try right clicking and saving as, or "save link as", depending on your browser. Then it will let you download it.

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:54 pm

Okie dokie!

Return to “User-created Scenarios”