The Floating Pyramid..

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
RJG

The Floating Pyramid..

Postby RJG » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:51 pm

This scenario requires Alexandria to play and has both Great Works enabled.

Your mission is simple...

1. Complete one Small Pyramid.
2. Locate the hidden Raiders Camp.
3. Destroy the Raiders Camp.

I tested this scenario using two different computers. One had 4GB of memory and the other was 6GB. Both computers were running on Windows 7. One computer was using a GeForce 9800gt graphics card with 1GB DDR3 and the other was an ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series also with 1 GB memory. The graphics are pretty intense in this scenario, you may have to adjust your settings lower depending on your setup.

If you like a challenge, then download – RJG-Floating Pyramid-Ver3.0.scn

If you just like to build without any timelines or Raiders, then download - RJG-Floating Pyramid-Ver3.0-Sandbox.scn

Sorry, the links I had here no longer work.

Good Luck :)
Last edited by RJG on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Reason: Updated Information

lou

Postby lou » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:01 pm

"RJG" wrote:This scenario requires Alexandria to play and has both Great Works enabled.

Your mission is simple...

1. Complete one Small Pyramid.
2. Locate the hidden Raiders Camp.
3. Destroy the Raiders Camp.

Sounds pretty easy but this scenario could end up to be a real challenge for many of you. Many people have been playing COTN for years now and they have developed a "certain way" to play and win each scenario. Might your particular play style work with this scenario or will it become a nightmare? Who knows. The only way for you to find out is to give it a try.

I tested this scenario using two different computers. One had 4GB of memory and the other was 6GB. Both computers were running on Windows 7. One computer was using a GeForce 9800gt graphics card with 1GB DDR3 and the other was an ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series also with 1 GB memory. The graphics are pretty intense in this scenario, you may have to adjust your settings lower depending on your setup.

Note: This scenario does have some interesting things in it that, personally, I have not seen done in other scenarios. If you do discover them, you can have a lot of fun with them. Whether you find them or not is not necessary, you can still enjoy success either way.

I will tell you this, choose a wise location to start building. Enjoy :)

Awesome, I have been waiting for this one! Thanks RJG. :)

texasmine

Postby texasmine » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Started the game on my laptop, but the screen is too limited. I REALLY need the larger size to see what's happening. Example: The overseer is enabled to quarry limestone, but he goes out of his home and immediately returns to bed; my screen is too small to easily scan the terrain.

RJG

Postby RJG » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:35 pm

"texasmine" wrote:Started the game on my laptop, but the screen is too limited. I REALLY need the larger size to see what's happening. Example: The overseer is enabled to quarry limestone, but he goes out of his home and immediately returns to bed; my screen is too small to easily scan the terrain.

Make sure your computer has the latest graphics driver installed and that it is working properly. Most laptops today have a screen size of 15.6" running a resolution of 1366 x 768. Is this similar to what you have? If it is, and it is refreshing properly, then leave it alone.

Next, check your game settings. Start the game...go to settings...Under video, check your screen resolution settings. By default I believe it is set at 1024 x 768 x 32 bit. The larger the number, the more you will see on your screen.

As far as the overseer immediately returning back and hitting the couch, this happens for a few reasons. Most times it is because no laborers were available.

Check your laborers, they are either all busy doing other stuff or you may not have enough of them.

RJG

Postby RJG » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:37 pm

"lou" wrote:Awesome, I have been waiting for this one! Thanks RJG. :)

See if you can win this one Lou! :eek: Good luck. :)

lou

Postby lou » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:12 pm

"RJG" wrote:See if you can win this one Lou! :eek: Good luck. :)

Excellent scenario! For me, this was a really fun scenario... but... not at all easy to win. Near the end the scenario had to be messing with the prestige levels. I just love all the fine work you did with that map and all. It is absolutely beautiful.

Am I the first one to win this one? :D Now that I have, I am going to develop it even more.

Thanks RJG, keep up the good work. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lou on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texasmine

Postby texasmine » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:29 am

RJG...finished scenario on Tuesday....nice work!

RJG

Postby RJG » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:25 am

"texasmine" wrote:RJG...finished scenario on Tuesday....nice work!

Hi Texasmine, thanks for the complement. It must be you got that overseer off the couch finally. :D

I am glad you enjoyed the scenario.

RJG

Postby RJG » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:29 am

"lou" wrote:Excellent scenario! For me, this was a really fun scenario... but... not at all easy to win. Near the end the scenario had to be messing with the prestige levels. I just love all the fine work you did with that map and all. It is absolutely beautiful.

Am I the first one to win this one? :D Now that I have, I am going to develop it even more.

Thanks RJG, keep up the good work. :)

I have two slightly different versions of this scenario. The one I ended up posting I felt was a tad easier than the other. The reason I chose the easier version is because many people don’t like scenarios that become long and difficult to win. Personally, I like the version I didn’t post better. It is more of a challenge and had some extra stuff in it that I personally like.

Thanks for giving me some feedback. That is exactly what I am looking for so I am able to get an idea what people like, dislike, etc.

I am also “very interested” in how well this scenario played on “your” computer. My computers are systems where I personally handpicked each component and built the system myself. Most are pretty high end systems. This is why I need to know how these scenarios work on the average computer. If they are too intense, then I need to tone them down.

I am glad you had fun with this one. :)

texasmine

Postby texasmine » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:57 am

Actually, I went onto the desktop, found the limestone and rebuilt. The lazy overseer was not invited to make the move.

lou

Postby lou » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:08 pm

;)
"RJG" wrote:I have two slightly different versions of this scenario. The one I ended up posting I felt was a tad easier than the other. The reason I chose the easier version is because many people don’t like scenarios that become long and difficult to win. Personally, I like the version I didn’t post better. It is more of a challenge and had some extra stuff in it that I personally like.

Thanks for giving me some feedback. That is exactly what I am looking for so I am able to get an idea what people like, dislike, etc.

I am also “very interested” in how well this scenario played on “your” computer. My computers are systems where I personally handpicked each component and built the system myself. Most are pretty high end systems. This is why I need to know how these scenarios work on the average computer. If they are too intense, then I need to tone them down.

I am glad you had fun with this one. :)

My computer is pretty much average and the scenario played just fine. The weakest part of my system is the graphics card but by adjusting the games setting, it runs all right.

In your scenario I love how you can close the gates off and the raiders give up trying to come in and finally leave. I also like that you can let them in, place a build wall across the gates and trap them in and destroy them! Why is it that they can’t walk thru even though the wall is not fully completed? Also, why can everyone else walk thru, yet the raiders can’t? Weird stuff!

Do you plan on posting the other version of this scenario that you mentioned? I would be interested in trying that version out also.

I have to ask you, how did you get that pyramid up in the sky? You can tell me, I won’t tell anyone. ;)

RJG

Postby RJG » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:25 pm

"lou" wrote: ;)

My computer is pretty much average and the scenario played just fine. The weakest part of my system is the graphics card but by adjusting the games setting, it runs all right.

In your scenario I love how you can close the gates off and the raiders give up trying to come in and finally leave. I also like that you can let them in, place a build wall across the gates and trap them in and destroy them! Why is it that they can’t walk thru even though the wall is not fully completed? Also, why can everyone else walk thru, yet the raiders can’t? Weird stuff!

Do you plan on posting the other version of this scenario that you mentioned? I would be interested in trying that version out also.

I have to ask you, how did you get that pyramid up in the sky? You can tell me, I won’t tell anyone. ;)

Computer feedback is just what I am looking for. It takes forever to build one of these scenarios and if it wasn’t compatible with most computers, what a waste of time that would be.

Yes, it is cool what you can do with the gates. The hard part of making this scenario was making it so the raiders were only able to enter using those five routes. Normally, they can enter at any location. After trying many different methods, I finally discovered a way I was able to control them and herd them like cattle to where I wanted them to enter. It was a lot of work to accomplish this, but I do like the fact that I am able to control where they enter, or if, they are allowed to enter.

The floating pyramid I discovered by accident. Will I tell you how I did that? Nah. :D

The hard part about the floating pyramid was making the game stable with that pyramid up in the sky. Weird stuff happens when you try to do things like this. The games engine at times could get a bit confused and that causes other weird problems. Actually, in the version I didn’t release, I found it more stable than the released version. The reason for that is because in the released version, if you were to build near that floating pyramid area, some things might not work properly. In the other version I placed the floating pyramid above an island that is separate from the other land areas. It proved to be more stable than the released version, but it is a tad bit harder to win. I really didn’t have any plans on releasing it.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

lou

Postby lou » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:08 pm

"RJG" wrote: In the other version I placed the floating pyramid above an island that is separate from the other land areas. It proved to be more stable than the released version, but it is a tad bit harder to win. I really didn’t have any plans on releasing it.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

If you do decide to release it, I for one would be interested in trying it out.
The one you released was not at all easy to win, but I still would like to try a harder version. I love a challenge!
It appears that I was the only one to win this one so far! LOL! :D

RJG

Postby RJG » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:14 pm

"lou" wrote:If you do decide to release it, I for one would be interested in trying it out.
The one you released was not at all easy to win, but I still would like to try a harder version. I love a challenge!
It appears that I was the only one to win this one so far! LOL! :D

The first couple of times I played the harder version, I was not able to win it. In this version you have to accomplish your mission in less than 34 years. Sounds like a lot of time doesn’t it? Trust me; most people will need every minute of those 34 YEARS! I see it took you 42 YEARS to win the EASY version. Are you sure you want to try the harder version? Basically, the game is the same except for a few extra triggers and some changes that certainly make it much more difficult to win. I would say you have less than a 50/50 chance of winning it the first time around. Unfortunately, many people download these scenarios but very few, IF ANY, give you any feedback on them. For all I know, my scenarios may not even play properly on the average computer. Or maybe people just don’t like a scenario this hard or busy? My point is…people building these scenarios need feedback so they can learn what people like/dislike and what works/doesn’t work. The only way anyone building these scenarios can improve what they do, is with feedback from others. Without it, what’s the point of posting anything here?
I added the harder version to my original post directly under the other version.

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26346

Good luck.

amaiden

Postby amaiden » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:21 pm

Thank you, your scenario was a lot of fun. I had to restart many time due to instability depending on what and where something was built, so might want to add that to the tips. Overall a wonderfully enjoyable scenario.

RJG

Postby RJG » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:56 pm

"amaiden" wrote:Thank you, your scenario was a lot of fun. I had to restart many time due to instability depending on what and where something was built, so might want to add that to the tips. Overall a wonderfully enjoyable scenario.

Hi Amaiden,

In the second version I released, RJG-Floating Pyramid-Ver2.0-Hard.scn, I believe any instability issues that might have been in the first version were corrected. This second version is basically the same scenario but “much harder” to win than the first version. Any instability in the first version “I believe” had to do with how close someone might develop in and around the area directly below the floating pyramid. At least that is what I found, although there could be others I missed. In the second version the pyramid was floating above an island, isolated from the rest of the map, eliminating this problem. The second version I played on three different computers all using different operating systems, XP – Vista - Windows 7/64bit, and all seemed to play without a glitch.

I am glad you enjoyed the scenario and thanks for your feedback. :)

lou

Postby lou » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:25 pm

"RJG" wrote:The first couple of times I played the harder version, I was not able to win it. In this version you have to accomplish your mission in less than 34 years. Sounds like a lot of time doesn’t it? Trust me; most people will need every minute of those 34 YEARS! I see it took you 42 YEARS to win the EASY version. Are you sure you want to try the harder version? Basically, the game is the same except for a few extra triggers and some changes that certainly make it much more difficult to win. I would say you have less than a 50/50 chance of winning it the first time around. Unfortunately, many people download these scenarios but very few, IF ANY, give you any feedback on them. For all I know, my scenarios may not even play properly on the average computer. Or maybe people just don’t like a scenario this hard or busy? My point is…people building these scenarios need feedback so they can learn what people like/dislike and what works/doesn’t work. The only way anyone building these scenarios can improve what they do, is with feedback from others. Without it, what’s the point of posting anything here?
I added the harder version to my original post directly under the other version.

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26346

Good luck.

Yes, it took me 42 years to win, but I enjoyed all 42 years. I had no problems whatsoever with playability issues. The scenario played perfectly on my rig and I didn’t notice any instability issues of any kind. Odd how some people have issues and others don’t.

As far as the second version, I have had no luck winning that bad boy! You were not kidding when you said it was more difficult. Maybe, - near impossible to win-, would be a much better description?

I was wondering if you might have this scenario in a sandbox. You know, without raiders and having to worry about stuff. I love the layout and it would be nice just to be able to develop it without any worries or pressure.

Keep up the good work RJG and thanks for putting up that harder version. I am determined to win it.

RJG

Postby RJG » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:48 pm

"lou" wrote:Yes, it took me 42 years to win, but I enjoyed all 42 years. I had no problems whatsoever with playability issues. The scenario played perfectly on my rig and I didn’t notice any instability issues of any kind. Odd how some people have issues and others don’t.

As far as the second version, I have had no luck winning that bad boy! You were not kidding when you said it was more difficult. Maybe, - near impossible to win-, would be a much better description?

I was wondering if you might have this scenario in a sandbox. You know, without raiders and having to worry about stuff. I love the layout and it would be nice just to be able to develop it without any worries or pressure.

Keep up the good work RJG and thanks for putting up that harder version. I am determined to win it.

The second version is without question harder but I have won it many times while testing.

Yes, I do have a sandbox version of The Floating Pyramid. I will post it with the others.

Maybe I should always do an easy, hard and sandbox version on future scenarios? That way I’ve got you covered! :)

Have fun…

lou

Postby lou » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:55 pm

"RJG" wrote:The second version is without question harder but I have won it many times while testing.

Yes, I do have a sandbox version of The Floating Pyramid. I will post it with the others.

Maybe I should always do an easy, hard and sandbox version on future scenarios? That way I’ve got you covered! :)

Have fun…

Thanks RJG for uploading a sandbox version. I really enjoy just being able to build without having to worry about raiders and stuff.

I still have not won your hard version of the floating pyramid but I do come really close to winning it. Does that count? One of these days I will beat it….maybe? :eek:

The Floating Pyramid is *my favorite* scenario to date! I have no idea how you put that pyramid base up in the sky. :)

Thanks again.

Return to “User-created Scenarios”