Nine Steps of Bast

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
FieryDove

Nine Steps of Bast

Postby FieryDove » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:07 am

There are two very large maps listed here. The first is an easier mode, the second (#2) has much harder goals and events to deal with. (OK all you expert players out there) :D

They really do not have a story. This was the "tons of resources" map I wanted to create for those that might enjoy it.

I do have an idea for a story for another map but it will be at a later date.

Hope you enjoy!
Cheers,
FD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dreamsoftwilight

Postby dreamsoftwilight » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:40 am

Well, I had to try it... just to see if it would work. lol. Downloaded the senario and put in my beta cd, and...

it made the game CTD. lol.

Had it worked that would have been cool, but I wasnt really expecting it to. :p :D

Cant wait to get the retail version, then I can see what the map looks like. :)

Mulluane

Postby Mulluane » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:05 am

Sigh, CTD'd on mine too and its retail :(

G-Force

Postby G-Force » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:55 am

It loaded fine with me. The only comment I have so far is that there is an audio text playing with the overview briefing that doesn't match the text.

G-Force

Dancer

Postby Dancer » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:42 pm

I had much fun playing the easy mode. The only problem is that my computer can hardly deal with the big map and the many villagers. this means that i'm not going to try the harder one, it will take forever to try that.
Anyway, Great job.

FieryDove

Postby FieryDove » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:19 pm

G-Force wrote:It loaded fine with me. The only comment I have so far is that there is an audio text playing with the overview briefing that doesn't match the text.

G-Force

Ya...I was playing with a few things really late and forgot to set them back. lol

I'll try and get a fix out for them. Also noticed some typos. Probably because several of my WL cities kept getting deleted for some odd reason and I was getting tired retyping again and again texts... :eek:

Sorry on the CTDS all. I'm playing the maps with the patch now and they are loading/running fine?

Cheers,
FD

Mulluane

Postby Mulluane » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:20 am

Don't worry about it, I'm convinced that my computer is inhabited by poltergists :)

I just had a problem on intial startup, it hated me deleting all your lovely landscaping but I'd just save, delete a section of growth, save, delete some more, reload after crash, try again, LOL

Once I got past that point it never crashed, froze or acted up in any way.

Well, its getting pretty huge and FPS is abysmal but pause is my friend :)

This is an overbuilders dream! I laid out the whole city and just sat back and watched. Waiting on envoys is pretty painful but since I have pyramids to build anyway, I'm not exactly pushing the clock to get those WL sites open.

BTW, Valley of Nine Lives is priceless! :D

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:42 am

FieryDove: Just downloaded and opened your Nine Steps of Bast 2 user scenario... good gawd :eek: ! Reading the goal list alone sent me into shock! :D

* thinks mebbe otta' look at Bast 1 first... *
* gets brave and keeps looking... *

I see... what you mean... about tons of resources...

* thinks FieryDove must really really REALLY like papyrus! *

The world map looks just like a REAL game...

* icons'n'everything oh my... *

Clearly you plan for there to be a lotta' MONKEYS in the city, aye? :D

* drops back to city map... *

Seriously: Nice job and congrats for being the first of everyone to create and post not just one but two User Scenarios! Wayta' go!

* retreats mumbling... he wants HOW many townhomes?!... *

FieryDove wrote:There are two very large maps listed here... tons of resources...

FieryDove

Postby FieryDove » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:44 am

Mulluane wrote:
BTW, Valley of Nine Lives is priceless! :D

Hehe...I wondered if someone would notice that...I had another funny in there too...Yes, I have a weird sense of humor..lol...anyone find it? It has to do with a song... :D

FieryDove

Postby FieryDove » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:01 am

sitearm9 wrote:FieryDove: Just downloaded and opened your Nine Steps of Bast 2 user scenario... good gawd :eek: ! Reading the goal list alone sent me into shock! :D

* thinks mebbe otta' look at Bast 1 first... *
* gets brave and keeps looking... *

I see... what you mean... about tons of resources...

* thinks FieryDove must really really REALLY like papyrus! *

The world map looks just like a REAL game...

* icons'n'everything oh my... *

Clearly you plan for there to be a lotta' MONKEYS in the city, aye? :D

* drops back to city map... *

Seriously: Nice job and congrats for being the first of everyone to create and post not just one but two User Scenarios! Wayta' go!

* retreats mumbling... he wants HOW many townhomes?!... *

Yep...lots of goals hehe, but honestly...anyone can just build a city and run it forever and ignore the goals if they wish.

YES, I love papyrus, I ran out of that and flax many times so am getting revenge now..SEE TM what happens when you get tight with the goodies...I've lost it now...yup. Must have more stuffs. :D

The world map has one thing not listed in the real map...Mulluane caught it..hehe

Bast 1 is 15 upgraded Townhouses. Bast 2 however...lol...Come on, you can do it!!! (She (me) ;) thinks anyone could on this map)

Monkeys make the nobles happy but the kitties made me happy. There are some there...Did anyone see them?

Hope you enjoy it, that's all that matters. :)

I'll try to update the typos and take out the mismatched speech file this week. :eek:

I guess I can replace the files or should I post new in a seperate message? hmmmm....

DimmurWyrd

Postby DimmurWyrd » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:07 am

Nice scenarios :)

I've only tried the first one since I am a sandboxer mostly hehe... only problem I've noticed so far is your flood plain doesn't flood hehe... water rises in depth but never moves inland along the flood plain.... I really like a lot of goals in a sandbox since I agree anyone can just make a huge city (with this engine at least lol) I was working on my son of ra megacity but I think son of ra just lost and I'll be working on this one now... poor 33 noble city abandoned in it's prime hehe.

oh yah... might wanna give those poor villagers more date trees rofl... saw about 30 of em clustered around each tree trying to get food ;) ok was more like 15 or so but was funny.

One thing I am curious about however... Aren't resources unlimited? I know flax "runs out and replenishes" but have not noticed any other resource doing this... Am I just not watching well enough and there is simply no visual cue to their running out for a while? anyway I am one who loves "huge resource" maps also :) I've made em for every CB and near CB I've ever played with a map editor hehe... of all the older ones caesar III still strikes me as best even with having to use gatehouses since the rest are too easy/simple since it's the only one besides CoTN that I have failed to hit the sprite limit in ;) I get frustrated when I'm just getting started and "you can't place any more buildings. sprite limit exceeded" ARGH! hehe.

FieryDove

Postby FieryDove » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:15 pm

DimmurWyrd wrote:Nice scenarios :)

I've only tried the first one since I am a sandboxer mostly hehe... only problem I've noticed so far is your flood plain doesn't flood hehe... water rises in depth but never moves inland along the flood plain.... I really like a lot of goals in a sandbox since I agree anyone can just make a huge city (with this engine at least lol) I was working on my son of ra megacity but I think son of ra just lost and I'll be working on this one now... poor 33 noble city abandoned in it's prime hehe.

oh yah... might wanna give those poor villagers more date trees rofl... saw about 30 of em clustered around each tree trying to get food ;) ok was more like 15 or so but was funny.

One thing I am curious about however... Aren't resources unlimited? I know flax "runs out and replenishes" but have not noticed any other resource doing this... Am I just not watching well enough and there is simply no visual cue to their running out for a while? anyway I am one who loves "huge resource" maps also :) I've made em for every CB and near CB I've ever played with a map editor hehe... of all the older ones caesar III still strikes me as best even with having to use gatehouses since the rest are too easy/simple since it's the only one besides CoTN that I have failed to hit the sprite limit in ;) I get frustrated when I'm just getting started and "you can't place any more buildings. sprite limit exceeded" ARGH! hehe.

Yep...Know about the floodplain...I made alot extra on purpose later. I plan to try a 100 noble city. That was my goal and it might be needed. lol

I'm going to pop some villigers when I update the maps. Maybe get rid of 100 to make things a bit smoother for folks.

Yes, resources come back, but many times not fast enough for the like of me! Papyrus is a good example, not only papyrus makers use tons but many of the shops as well so its always a premium it seems.

Yep..Lots of map editors have a resouce cap. That never did sit with me well. If I want to add MORE...I want to...now. :)

FieryDove

Upgraded Maps

Postby FieryDove » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:48 pm

I decided to post another set in case some people wanted tons of villagers.

Typos and speech fixed. (I hope all) :eek:

Bast 1 - Easy

Bast 2 - Harder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Zimmitti

Nice Work

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:59 pm

Wow, those scearios are pretty darn cool! :)

I played them a bit in the editor :rolleyes: (that's how I play them all the first time) and will have to try them for real some time soon. I noticed you had an issue with sites turning to vapor while you were working and I just wanted to address that real quick.

First, whenever you use the Move checkbox, make sure you uncheck it and hit Replace when you are done moving the site. The Move button is cagey and will likely always be that way. Second, make sure you always hit Replace to confirm the changes you make to a site. Finally, be careful to always hit New Activation Site when you are making a new site. I can't tell you the number of times I've accidentally overwrote a site in the editor.

Anyhoo, I think you've done a really great job and I look forward to seeing more player created scenarios. Have at it!

~Z

DimmurWyrd

Postby DimmurWyrd » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:11 pm

aha! that was what I was not knowing... I've never seen anything but flax run out before :) probably because I can't stockpile most things and so only build what's "needed" hehe... used to games where there are no "private citizens" only "state employees" ;) (just meaning everyone is payed by, produces for, and is controlled by the government without any free will at all hehe.) and with wharehousing of some sort or another.

Would be fun if in this game the "gov" could buy stocks and store them then resell later if needed (or just use for "goals" such as opening trade routes.) would make a lot more sense IMO. but who says pharoahs made any sense ;)

I like the villagers ;) was just laughing at so many clustered around each date palm hehe...

I was more thinking of the building/sprite limit when playing ;) too many walkers is common for the pharoah/cleopatra, zeus/poseidon, E:RotMK, etc hehe... I can easily cap those games in no time... first one takes longest but the last two take less than an hour once you know the "patterns" :(

100 nobles doesn't sound like too much trouble hehe then again I've stopped at 33 so far. not due to limits but because I got more interested in another scenario hehe. I think having the "nile" at the edge like that will make it vastly easier in the long run.

FieryDove

Postby FieryDove » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:19 pm

Matt Zimmitti wrote:Wow, those scearios are pretty darn cool! :)

I played them a bit in the editor :rolleyes: (that's how I play them all the first time) and will have to try them for real some time soon. I noticed you had an issue with sites turning to vapor while you were working and I just wanted to address that real quick.

First, whenever you use the Move checkbox, make sure you uncheck it and hit Replace when you are done moving the site. The Move button is cagey and will likely always be that way. Second, make sure you always hit Replace to confirm the changes you make to a site. Finally, be careful to always hit New Activation Site when you are making a new site. I can't tell you the number of times I've accidentally overwrote a site in the editor.

Anyhoo, I think you've done a really great job and I look forward to seeing more player created scenarios. Have at it!

~Z

Thanks for the kind words from everyone! *blush*

I figured it was something I did...Most of the WL stuff was done pretty late at night when I was getting to the *fried* point. :D

I'll remember that tip for sure, TY!

Cheers,
FD

FieryDove

Postby FieryDove » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:25 pm

DimmurWyrd wrote: 100 nobles doesn't sound like too much trouble hehe then again I've stopped at 33 so far. not due to limits but because I got more interested in another scenario hehe. I think having the "nile" at the edge like that will make it vastly easier in the long run.

I don't think the nobles will be hard to place at all...It's the services that will be the challenge.

Having less than the amount of scribes needed to cover all fields I'm thinking so my priests can use up the prestige limit as health and religion needs will soar. I'll stick with one overseer and multi-task him till everything gets built.

It will not be easy I'm guessing...But if I plan right maybe I can do a 200 noble map! :eek: :D

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:52 pm

I enjoied very much the first scenary, I only had two problems, first it slows very much my computer even with lowest settings, second I did not get victory screen even if I believe I met all scenario's goals: I had eighteen large estates, eight very small pyramids, all world sites open and a large obelisk for each site.

Mayati

Postby Mayati » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:33 pm

I'm playing the hard one right now and having a blast knowing I have plenty of villagers sitting in the wings and just aching to becoming good members of the Egyptian society ..........

But *ouch* on the number of envoys required!! I like the Nile on the edge too ... give me land lots of land under stary skies above... don't fence me in

Mayati

Postby Mayati » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:09 pm

I don't think I'll finish it though ........ I'm up to 35 nobles and I'm lagging like crazy ...... I *need* a faster PC .......

Return to “User-created Scenarios”