The Outpost

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
EmperorJay

The Outpost

Postby EmperorJay » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:55 am

This is The Outpost, an introduction to the Adventures of Djadao Wahankh, a young nobleman working for Pharaoh Khufu. In this mission, Djadao is sent out to the Sinai to set up an outpost, it's his first assignment and the outcome of this mission will determine Djadao's future: Will Djadao's name echo in eternity or is his name destined to be forgotten? It's for you to decide...

The Story

This is your first assignment Djadao. Pharaoh Khufu has faith in you, this Pharaoh is wise, he would not have sent you, if he did not believe you would make it. The region is peaceful, Egypt is peaceful, trade is flourishing. Grab this opportunity with both hands and bring this mission to a success.

The scouts of the Pharaoh picked a perfect spot for your outpost. It's close to an oasis, close to the sea, it has rich floodplains and still it's conveniently close to the needed resources. Pharaoh has heard rumours, rumours about upcomming revolts. The peace of Egypt must not be disturbed and if it is, Egypt must be prepared. Send the Pharaoh 40 kopeshes, so he can equip his army. Send the Pharaoh 50 jugs of Turquoise, so his supply will be sufficient even when war does break out. To raise Pharaoh´s prestige, send 3 Large statues for his magnificient tomb.

Pharaoh Khufu wants you to be prepared for everything. To protect this valuable outpost, build a small fort north of it. Supply it with soldiers, weapons and food. The glory of Egypt is known throughout the world and with fame, comes jealousy. You must be prepared, Pharaoh must be prepared, Egypt must be prepared because the peace we love so much, will not last forever.

Many thanks to squeaker_al for testing!

If you're experiencing camera problems, pressing F2 in-game should solve them

This is the finished version, nonetheless, comments are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by EmperorJay on Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mulluane

Ummmm

Postby Mulluane » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:34 am

Downloaded to check this out, really looking forward to playing it but for some reason my camera controls don't work like they normally do. Basically I can't pan to horizontal, can only zoom scroll and rotate. I double checked existing scenerios and had no problem but with yours I seem to have only an overhead, top down view and I can't level it out. Any ideas?

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:01 am

I have no idea what causes your problem.. does somebody else have any problems?

Mayati

Postby Mayati » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:18 pm

I did too .......... I just hit the F2 key and it went back to full camera mode fine ......

Matt Zimmitti

Postby Matt Zimmitti » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:20 pm

I went into the editor to see if anything was amiss. I hit the "Map" button to see what the camera control was set at and it said "Full Camera Control" which is what we wanted.

Good news is, if you go into the editor and hit F2 twice and resave the file, the camera will be ok in the new version when the player starts the scenario.

aheisey

Postby aheisey » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:23 pm

Yep... F2 did the trick.

Mayati

Postby Mayati » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:17 pm

I've been meaning to mention that you have a typo in your description .....
upcoming has only one m ....... unless the two m's is part of the Britsh spelling of things like sticking u's in words that don't need them .... LOL

Mulluane

Postby Mulluane » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:30 pm

Thanks gang :)

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:20 pm

Mayati wrote:I've been meaning to mention that you have a typo in your description .....
upcoming has only one m ....... unless the two m's is part of the Britsh spelling of things like sticking u's in words that don't need them .... LOL

It's probably just wrong :) , guess I was too busy with the scenario itself ;) .

I've updated the header post with a new upload (same version), I never had that problem so perhaps the upload was corrupted or something. If it still doesn't work, you know the work around :) .
Last edited by EmperorJay on Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dancer

Postby Dancer » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:49 pm

Hi EmperorJay,

Thanks for your effort in building this scenario. It has a nice different touch to it, which I liked a lot. Good to see that new variations are possible.

I think a bug appeared when I was gathering all the copeshes. I switched all the weapons and armor building to these copeshes, after that moment the number on the overview screen differed largely from the number in the world view. After a while I had 5 builders with 'max', which should normally be enough, but this time I had to continue with a couple more factories. No big issue, I could end the scenario after a little while more then expected.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:21 am

That's, unfortunately, one of the few remaining bugs in CotN. The amount of kopeshes shown on the world map is the accurate amount.

Like you said, the bug occurs when you change an existing weaponsworkshop to a kopeshworkshop.

Glad you liked it :) .

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:44 pm

I finished the scenario and enjoied it very much. It is really good.
I have one question besides discrepancies between overview screen and world level, apparently maximum number of item is 11 per craftman instead of 12: I had an armor maker and weapon maker and both were to maximum but they had only eleven pieces each and it staied this way for many years.

GillB

Postby GillB » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:55 pm

If you want to review The Outpost, you have an opportunity to at the CotN Heaven download section here

Ojos_of_Eyes

Good Game...Some Tech Issues But No Real Probs...

Postby Ojos_of_Eyes » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:16 am

Good Job! Boy was I challenged in making a few criticals working....

....Kind of wish the whole scenario was a bit more specific in either:

1. Specificity of Goals (limiting to a few and making them a bit tougher to achieve;

2. Smaller, Tougher and if a mistake is made with the placement, timing, resource gathering/trading and something I call...

3. ...Funnel Functions/Goal :D

What I mean by that is: If I am merely tasked to accomplish a laundry list and the only thing that stands between me and success is time, then I am
going to derive enjoyment from the Game Design more so than the custom scenario you are building.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you can build a scenario outside of the game itself (of course not :p ). But how about a really well-designed, 'birth delivery'? Make your scenario, say, short of supplies and it is those very supplies that I need to accomplish one of the goals...so I am then pressed to think about, not just WHAT I am doing but HOW I must do it.

Another thought is a constraining set of Victory Pre-Requirements that almost demand creativity...say, once I acheive one P-R, unless I destroy the infrastructure to accomplish that P-R, I won't be able to move on to the next. The most obvious two methods to achieve this is lack of resources and lack of population.

And please don't get that I am unhappy with your scenario...ANY custom scenario will be welcomed with open arms! :)

But perhaps what I am suggesting will require many, many hours of testing and perhaps I should dig in and create one myself, eh? LOL.

Great Job!

OOE

Ojos_of_Eyes

Great JOB! Now...Howz Bout Some Tiny Tubes???

Postby Ojos_of_Eyes » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:22 am

Good Job! Boy was I challenged in making a few criticals working....

....Kind of wish the whole scenario was a bit more specific in either:

1. Specificity of Goals (limiting to a few and making them a bit tougher to achieve;

2. Smaller, Tougher and if a mistake is made with the placement, timing, resource gathering/trading and something I call...

3. ...Funnel Functions/Goal :D

What I mean by that is: If I am merely tasked to accomplish a laundry list and the only thing that stands between me and success is time, then I am
going to derive enjoyment from the Game Design more so than the custom scenario you are building.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you can build a scenario outside of the game itself (of course not :p ). But how about a really well-designed, 'birth delivery'? Make your scenario, say, short of supplies and it is those very supplies that I need to accomplish one of the goals...so I am then pressed to think about, not just WHAT I am doing but HOW I must do it.

Another thought is a constraining set of Victory Pre-Requirements that almost demand creativity...say, once I acheive one P-R, unless I destroy the infrastructure to accomplish that P-R, I won't be able to move on to the next. The most obvious two methods to achieve this is lack of resources and lack of population.

And please don't get that I am unhappy with your scenario...ANY custom scenario will be welcomed with open arms! :)

But perhaps what I am suggesting will require many, many hours of testing and perhaps I should dig in and create one myself, eh? LOL.

Great Job!

OOE

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:55 am

I'm currently working on a sequel. This is an introduction to a campaign and therefore it's a bit simple, but the feedback is really appreciated, thank you :) .

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you can build a scenario outside of the game itself (of course not ). But how about a really well-designed, 'birth delivery'? Make your scenario, say, short of supplies and it is those very supplies that I need to accomplish one of the goals...so I am then pressed to think about, not just WHAT I am doing but HOW I must do it.

Since I don't know yet how much I can do with the game and editor, I won't say too much but just as a little teaser:

3 Nobles
No floodplain
The Hittite invasion has arrived...

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:56 pm

EmperorJay...

I'm playing it right now and enjpying it quite a bit. One suggestion: Edit the intro post at the top of this thread to advise downloaders to use F2. By putting this info right at the top of the thread, you'll avoid people having to hunt through the whole thread to find this out. ;)

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:04 am

Does that still not work properly? It was supposed to be fixed after I uploaded a new version :( . I've updated the header anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying it :) .

CarrieThompson13@hotmail.

Wonderful!!!

Postby CarrieThompson13@hotmail. » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:58 pm

Great job! :D I finally got around to playing it. I totally recommend this scenario to anyone who hasn't tried it! I hope this post re-invites others to try it EmperorJay!!! Say, when does the story continue? :rolleyes:

BTW: I put up some shots on the userset. Going to add more though soon.

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:54 pm

I'm glad you liked it :) .

I've already written down the whole story :) , all I need to do now is make more scenarios :D . Best I can come up with is "as soon as possible", I'm sorry.

Return to “User-created Scenarios”