Kepher v3.2

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
NumakNatut III

Kepher v3.3

Postby NumakNatut III » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:38 am

Hello fellow CotN players!
I have a great new scenario for you to enjoy! This scenario has been updated to version 3.3 on March 9,2005 per the requests of many players.

Kepher3.3 The Jewel of the Nile!

It's ideal for our New players, but also should be challenging for those who have some playing experience. As you can tell from the version number there was extensive playtesting and rewrting involved. Well, the scenario has finally been released to the community! Please post here after you finish playing it. I'd love to read your comments.

The Key points of Kepher 3.2
  • Small and intimate Map
  • Focus on Skillful Micro-management
  • Challenging Goals
  • A Complete scenario in only three hours or less!
  • Breathtaking scenery details.
  • Smaller map allowed greater attention to terrain detail
  • Easy to play for new players.
  • Great way to learn city layout efficiency.

I've tried for something a bit different from the other scenarios I've played, So the focus is on skillfull micro-management rather than on building a huge free-running metropolis. I've called this one the "Jewel of the Nile" due to the small map size and the incredible natural detailing involved. Like is said, good things DO come in small packages. There should be more than enough to keep you quite busy. I have been able to finish it in just under three hours at the maximum game speed. I hope you like it!

Have Fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NumakNatut III on Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ojos_of_Eyes

Something Good? So Far...It Looks That Way!!!

Postby Ojos_of_Eyes » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:52 am

NumakNatut III,

I have spent 30 minutes with your scenario and have restarted it twice. And I have a feeling this is a good thing. I had to stop it because it became clear that I was taking some things for granted...like SPACE!!!

If this is leading where I hope it is...then a year has come and gone in hours (see prior posts). So here are my thoughts at first and second blush:

1. Space: Not to be wasted.
2. Map Size: Very small.
3. Mystery...

Either your scenario has NEVER been tested OR you have tested it quite a bit, it works and has incorporated some unseen restrictions that are refreshingly challenging.

NOTE TO ALL: This does NOT look like your average scenario creation...

Initial Rating: Very Fascinating...... (I hope :rolleyes: )

Report Shall Follow

OOE

"Recognizing the need is the primary condition for design" -- Charles Eames

NumakNatut III

Postby NumakNatut III » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:15 am

Hmmm, did I mention the beautiful handmaidens? :)

Raccoon_TOF

Postby Raccoon_TOF » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:29 am

*Waits for sitearm to drop in and comment on marketing...*

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:49 pm

"Marketing" :D

OK, these are for anyone who's made a scenario and would like the thrill of others playing it too...

. Version Number (3.2) assuming implies a fully (heh heh) tested scenario ready for emotionally involved play
. Sample city screenshot
. Narrative summary of benefits

WISHES
. Assurance has been fully tested through to success screen by at least one person besides the developer
. Screenshot of Overall Map (e.g., from Editor bottom right, from Interface bottom left)
. Screenshot of World Level (before any sites opened, Labels On)
. Benefits listed as Bullets format, e.g.,
..* Different
..* Focuses on skillfull micro-management
..* Small package size!
..* More than enough going on to keep you busy
..* Able to finish it in just under three hours at the maximum game speed!
. Indication of player level scenario best suited for, e.g.,
..Ideal for... [pick one or two at most]
....__ New Players
....__ Somewhat Experienced Players
....__ Very Experienced Players
....__ Master Players (e.g., Keith!)

Hope this helps... feel free to add :) !

NumakNatut III

Postby NumakNatut III » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:05 am

Raccoon! LOL! That's some serious powerbait you're using! :D

Sitearm9, Excellent ideas. I'm sure everyone will benefit from your kind suggestions. I'll re-work my write-up immediately. :)
Last edited by NumakNatut III on Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

dreamsoftwilight

Postby dreamsoftwilight » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:21 am

Sitearm must have his forum settings set to alert him when someone mentions marketing. hehe

NumakNatut III

Postby NumakNatut III » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:48 am

Hi Everyone,
I have a great new scenario for you to enjoy!

Kepher3.2 The Jewel of the Nile!

It's easy enough for New players, but also should be challenging for those who have some playing experience. As you can tell from the version number there was extensive playtesting involved. Well, the scenario has finally been released to the community! Please post here after you finish playing it. I'd love to read your comments.

The Key points of Kepher 3.2
  • Small and intimate Map
  • Focus on Skillful Micro-management
  • Challenging Goals
  • Only three hours to complete the mission!
  • Breathtaking scenery details.

I've tried for something a bit different from the other scenarios I've played, So the focus is on skillfull micro-management rather than on building a huge free-running metropolis. I've called this one the "Jewel of the Nile" due to the small map size and the incredible natural detailing involved. Like is said, good things DO come in small packages. There should be more than enough to keep you quite busy. I have been able to finish it in just under three hours at the maximum game speed. I hope you like it!

Have Fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NumakNatut III on Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:38 am

oooh!...
..* colors *
....oooh!...
......* pictures *
........oooh!...
..........* you had me at "hi"... *

Nice work NumakNatut III!... ALL 'round! :)

NumakNatut III wrote:Hi Everyone...

NumakNatut III

Postby NumakNatut III » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:12 am

Thanks SiteArm9!

I think it really is a terrific little scenario! I just got it a better "launch." Thanks again for your advice. :D
Last edited by NumakNatut III on Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

NumakNatut III

Postby NumakNatut III » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:08 am

Hmm. YOU have to know it's a lot of work to do these scenarios. Surely you could just take a moment to type out a coherent sentance or two about your experience? :)

Ah well, why should I complain? You and I are still alive, and that's really a lot to be happy about. Especially when that's compared to a couple hundred thousand fellow human beings who lost their lives or loved ones this past week or so.

It's ok. I'm over it now. I wanted to let you all know that I'll be ready to release my biggest and best scenario in a few days. That will make three so far. Just in case any one else is counting. :D The screenies below are a peek at my new scenario during testing. Enjoy!
Last edited by NumakNatut III on Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raccoon_TOF

Postby Raccoon_TOF » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:36 am

Your screenies keep making me want to finish playing the scenario, lol! I started it, but will admit I never got to finish it because I have been busy editing scenarios of my own, lol...perhaps as soon as I get the contest scenario sent out to the beta testers I'll go and finish playing yours...

NumakNatut III

Postby NumakNatut III » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:45 pm

Rgr that Raccoon_TOF, Those last three shots in the post above are from my next scenario, not from Kepher. Also it's for sure that you have been busy, np. I just see that there have been about 60 DL's of the scn and hardly peep from the community on it. Thanks for your post it made my day! :)

I would like to know if I overlooked something or could do something different with this particular scenario which would make it more enjoyable. Or, if it's 'ok' the way it is, that's good feedback too.

I'm interested in improving the scenarios and also in establishing "trust" in those who play my scenarios that they won't be disappointed in them.

Raccoon_TOF

Postby Raccoon_TOF » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:50 pm

Well, for what's it's worth having not finished it yet, nor having gotten the chance to try your scond one yet, I really do like what I have played so far in this one. Nice, small, and challenging. Not a scenario for building the "city of your dreams" but a great scenario for working through the challenges of limited resources and space...in fact, I learned a few tricks from what I've played of this one so far that I will probably end up using in a number of other limited resource/space/population cities (like rotating shrines/temples...).

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:08 pm

NumaKatut:

When you say "just a small pyramid" is needed, do you mean a "very small pyramid" or a "small pyramid?"

I can't seem to find a place for a palace AND a small pyramid.

NumakNatut III

Postby NumakNatut III » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:34 pm

You need to build a Small pyramid.

If you look closely at the third picture in the series at the top of this thread you will see where the Small pyramid will fit. It won't fit anywhere else.

You can also see where the Palace fits. It's on the other end of the shoreline. However, unless you paused the game immediatly after you started, you will be forced to demolish several villager huts to place the Palace. This was to require the player to try to figure out how best to salvage the displaced villagers. This was hinted at in the Intro story. :)

If I Recall Correctly (IIRC) you may be able to fit the palace on the cow pasture too.

btw, Even if you lose those villagers you can still complete the game. It will only mean that you will need to wait for your population to grow itself. Which, in itself, is another good lesson to learn.
Last edited by NumakNatut III on Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:51 am

NK - I located the correct sites for building the palace and pyramid and have re-started the map. Locating the right places took quite a long time, btw, even following the screenshot above. I doubt most players will be that patient, or find it very enjoyable. As a result, you may end up with a lot people starting the scenario then abandoning it because it demands such an exactly precise solution. People tend not to enjoy scenarios that have one and only one solution. I hope I'm wrong! Because other than the opening, there is a great deal about the scenario is really well done and quite enjoyable.

NumakNatut III

Postby NumakNatut III » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:00 am

Roger that Gordon. I realize the style is different from the usual fare. It's not about building a perfecly symetrical city. It's not about wide open spaces with nothing and no rules to hold you back. It's not about building and building and building with no thought about what effect or consequence it has. It's not about endless world map action for endless world map action's sake. It's not about any of these. :)

What it is, is a thinking man's scenario. It's efficient. It's short. It won't tax your PC or video card. It's about something neat and sweet and as small a scenario as possible. This scenario is everything about planning and logical thought.

Like you've said, it's not for everyone. All that being said, I think there is something for everyone here. You can always go back and play the Grand Campaign after you finish. I think you will find that you've learned a little something from being able to complete the scenario.

Besides, I liked it. It's really my kind of scenario. And it was my first one. I'm looking forward to yours. :D

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:08 pm

NumakNatut III wrote:Roger that Gordon. I realize the style is different from the usual fare. It's not about building a perfecly symetrical city. It's not about wide open spaces with nothing and no rules to hold you back. It's not about building and building and building with no thought about what effect or consequence it has. It's not about endless world map action for endless world map action's sake. It's not about any of these. What it is, is a thinking man's scenario. It's efficient. It's short.

Yup. I think all of those qualities are there and I think this scenario deserves extremely high praise for achieving those goals. It's different, it's challenging, and it's definitely a little gem of finely-tuned intellectual pleasures. I especially like the complex puzzle of WL site management, resource gathering, and overseer assignments that has to be solved to meet the scenario's goals. Nicely done! The best use of the WL I've seen so far in player-created levels! That said, I just thought you might appreciate it if people actually played Kepher to completion! ;) There is so much that's wonderful in this scenario, NK, that my ONLY criticism is the way you set up the initial placement of the palace. That's it. Except for that, if this were Heaven's Games, I'd give it a 5.0 rating. However, I think you'll find that all of the great pleasures you worked so hard to put into the scenario will be enjoyed by very few players, because of the frustrating opening you created. Not only do I look forward to getting your feedback on my work, I really hope you're developing the second chapter in the story of this fugitive tribe. I will definitely be one of the first to play it!

itisglen

Postby itisglen » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:12 pm

OK, you talked me into it. I'm going to do this scenario next, as soon as I finish Oceanna: Jewel of the Mediteranean. It might take a while, since I only get to play an average of about an hour or so a day.

I prefer a thinking strategy over a "build it huge" strategy. I think I'll like this one. Looking forward to seeing your next one...

glen

Return to “User-created Scenarios”