The Tyranny of the Gods

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Gordon Farrell

The Tyranny of the Gods

Postby Gordon Farrell » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:25 pm

[SIZE=5]THE TYRANNY OF THE GODS[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2]A Children of the Nile Saga
By Gordon Farrell
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]

This is an historically accurate scenario based on the chronicles of the 18th Dynasty --- a time of spectacular conquests carried out abroad as well as magnificent monuments constructed at home. The international relations and the political intrigue of the last six pharaohs in this dynasty make it especially rich material, with unforgettable stories that are full of great kings, cowardly traitors, devious ministers, and implacable foes. As Amenhotep III, you will be immersed in a world of battles with foreign enemies as well as engulfed in the political scheming of the Priests of Amun. I’ve chosen this era especially to highlight some of the effects that can be accomplished with the Titan editor, including city riots, demands for suppliants, unique victory conditions, and a few ambient effects you might not have seen yet. Among other things, I wanted to recreate the internal political power struggle between Pharaoh and the Priests of Amun -- all of it serving as the backdrop for Amenhotep III’s heroic quest to preserve the glory of Egypt and defend the sovereign power of the throne against all enemies.

NOTE ON GAMEPLAY:

You are playing the Pharaoh Amenhotep III, so it is recommended that you set your character name to “Amenhotep.” Your dynastic numeral is already set to "3."

NOTE ON INSTALLATION:

There are two sound files:
BuildingFall.wav
RiotingVoices.wav

Be sure to install them in \Children of the Nile\data\Audio\sounds!

Enjoy!

FEATURED SCREENSHOTS

- Dramatic landscape on which to build your city
- Manage the great harbor at Birket Habu, built by Amenhotep III in the 14th Century BC
- Build spectacular monuments in the Valley of the Kings
- Govern a vast empire
- Outwit the Priests of Amun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gordon Farrell on Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KatQueen

Postby KatQueen » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:51 pm

Just downloaded this one....

Thanks to all for the extra Scenarios to play.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Sheri

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:59 pm

Thanks for dl'ing! I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think!

KatQueen

Postby KatQueen » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:29 am

I did terrible my first time though, phone rang I must of walked away for no more than 1/2 hour and came back to be overthrown. LOL I had no nobles and no palace. Will have to try this again.

MAX-1

Postby MAX-1 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:07 am

Hea Gordon,

D/L the map and had look around. Interesting. Looks daunting.

Haven't played it yet but am looking forward to playing it out.

Karter

Postby Karter » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:53 am

Same here, this should be interesting :)

imhotepthegreat

Postby imhotepthegreat » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:40 am

Just downloaded. :cool:
Will try tonight after work. Will let you know how it goes.

ITG

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:05 pm

KatQueen wrote:I did terrible my first time though, phone rang I must of walked away for no more than 1/2 hour and came back to be overthrown. LOL I had no nobles and no palace. Will have to try this again.

Yeah, sorry I didn't warn you... you can't walk away from this one... if you neglect your people they will riot and destroy your palace...

Thanks everybody for giving it a try!

I'm sure there are some glitches I haven't caught so please let me know if I need to fix anything!

MAX-1

Postby MAX-1 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:15 am

So far:

~ I've had all the cities north east captured :mad:
~ I'm getting raiders flocking 2 and 3 groups at a time :mad:
~ Out of villagers :mad:
~ Not enough farmers :mad:
~ Not enough soldiers :mad:
~ Out of gold for tribute :mad:

I'll play it out and see if I can recover, but I'm going to do over too. I learned something from a major mistake I made at the begining.

KatQueen

Postby KatQueen » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:02 am

MAX-1 wrote:So far:

~ I've had all the cities north east captured :mad:
~ I'm getting raiders flocking 2 and 3 groups at a time :mad:
~ Out of villagers :mad:
~ Not enough farmers :mad:
~ Not enough soldiers :mad:
~ Out of gold for tribute :mad:

I'll play it out and see if I can recover, but I'm going to do over too. I learned something from a major mistake I made at the begining.

You have to stay on top of this one.....

I luv the Ship layout, actually looks like a real port, wished we could build that type of port on regular games.

Only change I would make so far is back off on the plaza under the nobles, what a pain to reset the nobles.

Going to give this one a shot tommorow night...got a new game called
Port Royal

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:08 am

Only change I would make so far is back off on the plaza under the nobles, what a pain to reset the nobles.

Good point! I'll put that on the list of revisions for v2. Thanks!

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:10 am

MAX-1:

Sorry to cause all those frowny faces! It helps if you start building an army at the first sign of trouble...

MAX-1

Postby MAX-1 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:56 am

O.K.

second time around I lost.

UGH !!!!

Third time is a charm maybe?

So I set up armies right away right?
80 spearmen and 40 archers.
UGH THATS A LOT.

But by the time I could send them off I lost.
I started with placeing armies and 6 more weaponsmiths and 4 more armorers.
But not enough food to feed them all so I placed three more nobels and farmers. Oh, did I mention that the only way to build all this is by brickers. Again, out of villagers. :mad:

Got any hints or clues without cheating.

Karter

Postby Karter » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:04 am

Ummm, are you sure this is winnable?

I have tried 3 times now, and just doesnt seem to be enough of everything to go around..
It all comes to quickly, to keep up..
I won my first battles,
I could keep up with tithes to Karnak
But Luxor :(
I didnt have enough resources to send 3 envoys to keep my nobles homes from being destroyed. I think within 2 years, I had 8 of them destroyed.
Umm, no nobles, no farmers, no food = no envoys.

There doesnt seem to be enough villagers to keep up.

Or are there some other tricks to this??
Last edited by Karter on Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:58 pm

Hi guys...

Yup, it's winnable, but, um, it IS possible I made the military dilemma too tough. Sorry!!! Anyway, here are some tips that I hope will help...

Military strength is not just about having the troop numbers, as you know they also have to be trained. But they can't train if they don't get weapons. You can start building an army when Carchemis falls and you should still have the troop strength to defeat the Mitannians in the Sinai. But if you start building an army as soon as the scenario starts, it's even more of a sure thing.

However, you have to make sure they have weapons! Here are some things you can do to facilitate that:

- Carchemis and Kadesh are taking weapons (and armor) away every year. But if you suspend relations with them, they won't send you gold. Once you've paid the first Tithe of Amun, you should have enough other sources of gold, so THEN you can suspend Carchemis and Kadesh.

- Get the gold flowing from Men-Nefer, Petra, and Maghara. Open relations with Libya and start buying chariots. As soon as the chariots start arriving, check and see which existing soldiers do not yet have weapons. Switch them over the charioteers. (Even though Carc. + Kad. do not require charioteers, they're still counted towards victory.)

- Use the cedar you're getting from Byblos to build chariots. Same rationale as above.

- Make sure your first batch of graduates go mainly to commanders. Having the right number of commanders dramatically increases the liklihood of victory even if you haven't met the requested troop strengths.

- Like MAX-1 did, add approx four add'l weapons/leather smiths.

OTHER TIPS

- In general, it's a good idea to hold off building the cult temples until the military threat has been dealt with. (You need those bricks!)

- If you wait to defeat the Mitannians in the Sinai, you'll get lots of prestige points, but by then you'll need five commanders and an add'l 30 charioteers.

- The Priests at Luxor will demand 3 envoys every five years. That means you have two to play around with every five years. Don't send them to activate the Minoan Trade Routes because that will leave you short when the five year mark comes around. Wait until you have a surplus of envoys.

MAX-1

Postby MAX-1 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:29 pm

BTW Gordon,

I noticed that there is no birthday for pharaoh to mark age. I assume that this was on purpose to keep in line with the story of Amenhotep III. But my question is, does he ever die in this scenario?

Karter

Postby Karter » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:51 pm

I did pretty much, exactly as you stated, except the Minoan Trade route, I did open. Which, next time around, I was going to wait.

Umm, it seems as though, 8-9 nobles, is all that can be supported in this setting? I had 10 but that may be too many....

Oh, I was curious... would you mind explaining, how you went about destroying the townhouses? In one of my scenarios, I wanted to do something along those lines. I suspect, it has to do with setting up the object files?

I went through your code, but couldnt understand, quite, how it was done.

Is there somewhere, that using the object files and using the COTN class files etc is explained?

Thanks...

:)
Last edited by Karter on Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:48 pm

MAX-1: I didn't intend to turn off birthdays, just Pharaoh's death. Apparently if you don't die you don't get any birthdays! Wow. Is that deep -- or what?!?

Karter: The only place I know where you can get more in-depth info about the Titan editor is in the Empire Earth Editor Manual. The downloadable version doesn't seem to be available anywhere, but if you have an old copy of EE floating around...?

To answer your question about destroying things in the game...

- Define the object you want destroyed, either by selecting it on the map or (as I did) by describing its specifications. When you specify an object, you can denote it as an indivual object, a specific class of objects, or a complete set of objects. I chose "townhouses" under "Unit Set." I set the number of townhouses at "min 1 - max 1".

- Now go to effects and select "objects." Pull down the "action" menu." You'll see "kill" as one of them. Attach this to your "townhouse" object.

- Go to conditions and define the conditions under which the townhouse(s) will be killed

- Now you're ready to create your trigger:
IF "condition"
THEN
"Kill townhouse."

- One more thing: You now have to create an effect that will re-activate the trigger. When you have, your final trigger will look like this:

IF "condition"
THEN
"Kill townhouse" AND [4 seconds] "Re-set trigger"

Karter

Postby Karter » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:23 pm

got it !! figured it out

Gordon Farrell

Postby Gordon Farrell » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:09 am

Karter wrote:got it !! figured it out

Great! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Return to “User-created Scenarios”