Rhakotis (sequel to Tjemhu)

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Karter

Rhakotis (sequel to Tjemhu)

Postby Karter » Mon May 02, 2005 4:32 am

Hello to all,

Well, after two months of coding and re-coding.. I offer my third scenario in a Campaign I have been working on, it is called

Rhakotis - A New Beginning

In this, I have tried to offer a different approach to the CoTN Scenarios, it is a story driven venue. If you like the slow building type maps, then this may not be for you. For Rhakotis, is a fast paced, with numerous tasks to complete, in a minimal length of time scenario. It offers, a limited interactivity, and many ways that you can approach a situation from.

Rhakotis has.....
Its own Newspaper
Its own Characters
God Offerings
Battle Offerings
Family feuds to resolve
Enemies who cause real damage when attacking
Murder

and character sound files...

NOTE: I suggest if playing this scenario, that you view the tips before starting

Due, to limitations of the editor, and my lack of knowledge in using it, I had to re-code much of it, due to the fact, that persons play at different speeds. This offered a challenge with the sound files. However, I have learned enough to prepare for my next and last map of the Campaign.

But, for now I offer for you... RHAKOTIS

It picks up from the previous Tjemhu, where in that, one of the last things the player did was destroy a Libyan Seaport. You now, go to this town, to try and rebuild it. However, things are in a mess and falling over everywhere and of course pesky enemies to deal with...

Normal game time is between 20-25 years

it is a
125x125 map and has an
auto_install program

To install you will need WinZip or PKZip or another similiar program

Just click OPEN on the Rhakotis_install.zip program
It should open a screen with the Rhakotis_install.exe file CLICK on that and a full screen auto-install will start..

After that start your game and select from Play>Scenarios> Rhakotis

I believe it to be error free, but there are so many ways to play it, I can't be absolutely positive

revised 05-08-2005
changes minor - typographical corrections...

screenshots
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Karter on Sat May 14, 2005 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karter

Postby Karter » Mon May 02, 2005 5:30 am

I forgot to mention that when clicking on certain resources... If the game is paused, due to how the game handles things, dialogue boxes may not appear. So click, when Game is not paused.

MAX-1

ROFLMAO on this awesome adventure

Postby MAX-1 » Sat May 07, 2005 7:15 pm

I've just started to play your new map. I'm about 7 years into it. Finally opened up cedar. Lost a few mines though.

All I can say is ~

:eek: W :eek: O :eek: W :eek:

The news paper thingy is great.

The voices are awesome.

I can't wait to see how this adventure evolves.

Thanks for a fun and enjoyable map. Entertaining too.

:)

Karter

Postby Karter » Sun May 08, 2005 1:21 pm

It was a challenge, I hope it offers a little different slant on CoTN..

It is some what of a training map, for the last episode of this campaign...If people tend to like it, I will finish the last one. I already, have planned on how the finale map, will be done. But, if people dont like this approach, than I would probably abandoned it .

catgoddess83

Overthrown!

Postby catgoddess83 » Sun May 08, 2005 3:42 pm

Hey!
As you know I adored your two prior scenarios and couldn't wait to start this one :) However, there I am minding my own pharoahness building up my city; saving my mines with cedar, enjoying the Gazette Gossip when suddenly....... Badda Bing Badda Boom........ I get overthrown!!!! :o :eek: :o
I have no clue what I did or didn't do but I was so shocked; I've never been overthrown before. I can't wait to retry it.
Can you give me a hint???? ;)

Cat

Karter

Postby Karter » Sun May 08, 2005 9:53 pm

:( Sorry Cat...Help costs extra LOL

okay this is the way the first 9-10 years is..keeps you moving...

The messages give all of the clues... but, within the first 10 years ... it is very important to save your quarry and mines

1. if your quarry is not protected by year 10 (sandstorm buries it) ... DEFEAT (all 20 interior segments must be finished)
2. if your mines are not saved within the first 14 yrs..DEFEAT
3. if you have no commander within 15 years............DEFEAT

If you lose 3 mines (it happens within 9 yrs)..you can only save the rest, via an Offering, the cedar is of no value after that...you will have 5 additional years to do that...if not ... DEFEAT :(

You can play this via Commanders(soldiers) or Overseers(labours)
I prefer the later (Overseers)

The very first thing I do is have my 1st priest educate an Overseer and build 6 labours....I have him start to mine the gold, copper and emeralds to open the Polis (cedar trade),usually by year 5..it will take 2-3 years to get the cedar from Polis....I also, make sure my cedar reserve is at 20 cedar...

Once, you have secured 20 cedar....music from heaven..the mines are saved.

But, Polis, requires food. (160 per year)..So I also, start building at least 1 noble per year..so the quota is met

Within the first 10 years, I try to have at least 8-10 or 12 nobles or food can become an issue, especially later...

Through-out the entire game I only have my 1 commander with Guards to protect the city...I usually end of with at least 4-5 overseers...

but, thats playing it under those conditions...

If you go with Commanders, it will take at least 5 by the time you get to the last section...

Now, thats what I call a HINT :)

PS: by year 11, if you have not opened the 2 brothers, they will have sneaked into the city..and there is no way to keep them out. LOL

All of the above, is just the set up, so the rest of the scenario can be completed.

After, the mines and quarry you should be okay..no defeat issues...as long as you keep your commander ... you must always have at least one...
Last edited by Karter on Mon May 09, 2005 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MAX-1

Postby MAX-1 » Mon May 09, 2005 12:45 pm

Yea,

I completed it. :) :p

I especially liked all the extra dialogues.
You must have done a lot of reworking of the script to make all the dialogues.

And the surprize demolition of stuffs. I won't say what 'cause I don't want to give away much.

I must say, this was surely a fun one to play. A lot of fun surprizes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MAX-1 on Mon May 09, 2005 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Mon May 09, 2005 5:02 pm

At last I won it and ejoied it a lot. At the beginning I felt a little overwhelmed, but it was not too difficult.

Karter

Postby Karter » Mon May 09, 2005 9:47 pm

MAX-1 and Vic_4

Interesting both of you built on the same side of the map ( I think a little hard to tell on Vic's pix), I have never built on that side....

Max your city looks great!!! .... I build the ugliest cities :(

It is relatively easy to win... but yet a bit of a challenge at the same time, I think.. I was concerned, about making it to hard...

The sound files are all from the game, my problem originally, was the timing of multiple conversations. In the code you can pause, for instance 2-3 seconds..but, it is not real time, but game time... so a 2 second pause at 2.0 game speed may indeed be 2 seconds real time, at 4.5 speed, it is like .5 second real time... so, I had to end up, editing multiple conversations together, so the timeing would be correct, no matter what speed they played at. If that makes any sense.

LOL, I especially, like the guy who always screams, "No, this cant be happening".. I always get a chuckle out of him...

I am glad you enjoyed it :) Thanks
Last edited by Karter on Mon May 09, 2005 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NumakNatut III

Great job!

Postby NumakNatut III » Fri May 13, 2005 12:44 am

NIce one Karter.

I have had to restart for the third time now. I wasn't getting things started fast enough. after the third time I knew what I needed to do FIRST off. Now I'm trying to get the prestige up high enough to get more overseers to work the mines for all the resources. 125 gold?!?! yikes. I still need a lot more prestige to even ATTACK the enemy. It's a toss-up about which way to go... :(

I really want to see how you set up the triggers but I'm waiting until I actually WIN the scenario before I do. I't sort of a personal thing. But It motivates me to keep on trying to finish it. I LOVE the way you've done the audio. I tried it, but never could make it work. That's why I want to see what you did. SO... I'll keep plugging along.

Nice work. :)
Last edited by NumakNatut III on Fri May 13, 2005 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karter

Postby Karter » Sat May 14, 2005 11:18 am

Thanks NumakNatut III,

sorry you had to restart :(

I cant give away any other clues, except for the first 10 years...It would give to much away.

I think I might not have given enough hints, at the first...the first 10 years are a little frantic... Look at my reply to catgoddess83 .. that pretty much explains it all. :)

LOL, I don't know if you want to actually look at the code, its a mess. I did a lot of learning by trial and error on this one. There are things, that I left in, that I didnt use, and changed descriptions of things..read up above about the use of the sound files. Thats what caused me to have to recode much of it, from the original.

I am working on the last map of my Campaign now..I am actually, using a little bit of your idea, from your last map on it...

What I think would be a lot of fun, is to have the 5 or 6 of us, that have done scenarios, to all work on one ultimate map, with everyones input...to see what we would come up with.... I think it would be interesting....
Last edited by Karter on Sat May 14, 2005 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

NumakNatut III

Postby NumakNatut III » Tue May 17, 2005 5:01 am

Karter wrote:Thanks NumakNatut III,

I am working on the last map of my Campaign now..I am actually, using a little bit of your idea, from your last map on it...

What I think would be a lot of fun, is to have the 5 or 6 of us, that have done scenarios, to all work on one ultimate map, with everyones input...to see what we would come up with.... I think it would be interesting....

That's a great Idea. I really like doing the terrain and landscaping part. I always wondered if I should put out a map and have someone else flesh out a story. You have a real knack for making interesting story details. :)

Anyway, today I've completed Rhakotis!!! Hurray! Thanks for a great scenario Karter. :D :D :D :D

Karter

Postby Karter » Thu May 19, 2005 12:00 am

Thanks for the compliment, :D

WOW I cant believe all of the pyramids, especially with a buried quarry

I hate doing the map part, I always get so bogged down on trying to figure out what should go where etc., etc. etc. plus, if you notice my maps are usually only 125x125 anything above the 150 size and my system really starts to bog down.

But, I am up to giving something a try

NumakNatut III

Postby NumakNatut III » Thu May 19, 2005 4:14 am

Oh, man. Maybe we should work something out. When I said "I really like doing the terrain and landscaping part" I meant I LOVE doing it and can spend HOURS and HOURS shaping and detailing. Then I will settle the world and check out the resources and possible bottlenecks and anomalies in the pathing due to terrain. I spend a couple/three weeks happy as a swine in swill. I mean it! I love tweaking the terrain and making it realistic and functional. It's only because I have to finish the triggers and conditions that I can't spend ALL my time on the map. LOL.

I have to say after looking at your trigger coding, you are way ahead of me on figuring out the editor's potential. Esp, in the Events and Objects!

So, on the Sound files. You list the triggered mp3 file as "..\*\*"! The "..\" part, how does that work? Will the game actually substitute "C:\program files\tilted mill\...etc." for the "..\"?? I have never seen that. If you look at my TENOCHTITLAN scen, you will see I tried to set up some sound events, but they never worked right and I abandoned them. Please, How does it work?

If you want to continue this discussion in the editing forum instead of here in the scenario's, it would be more than fine with me. :) :) :)
Last edited by NumakNatut III on Thu May 19, 2005 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karter

Postby Karter » Fri May 20, 2005 10:56 am

Hi NumakNatut III,
Oh, man. Maybe we should work something out.

just let me know

So, on the Sound files. You list the triggered mp3 file as "..\*\*"! The "..\" part, how does that work? Will the game actually substitute "C:\program files\tilted mill\...etc." for the "..\"?? I have never seen that. If you look at my TENOCHTITLAN scen, you will see I tried to set up some sound events, but they never worked right and I abandoned them. Please, How does it work?

All of yours would work if you remove the
C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\data\Audio\Voice\Sounds

The syntax comes from the original DOS Disk Operating System and Linux OS structure

In days past before windows just like in your Command Prompt screen in Windows you get the directory
C:\whatever\file> prompt

when you do a ..\<enter> that means move back a directory

example: directory listing
C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\data\Audio\Sounds <-- default where editor starts looking

so if you put ..\ it backs up one directory to the Audio

C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\data\Audio

and you just had the folder name Voice
..\voice
backs you into Audio - and then goes into the voice folder
C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\data\Audio\Voice

if you were to do a ..\..\
it backs up two directories
C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\data

to move forward
C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\data\Audio\Voice\Sounds

just had the next folder name example

\misc\whatever.mp3

would actually look in
C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\data\Audio\Voice\Sounds\misc folder
make sure to add the backslash \
just putting
misc\whatever.mp3 without the leading backslash \
would be invalid it would be looking for this
C:\Program Files\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\data\Audio\Voice\Soundsmisc

If i create my own sound files I add a folder into the Sounds Directory

you will notice with Rhakotis if you look under sounds you see a Rhakotis directory (folder)

I use the auto installer program that TombRaider uses (its very cool) and easy to use
it automatically will create the folders on peoples systems and add the files to the proper spots

If all of that makes sense? :)

and someone (cant remeber who) told me to get the instuctions about the Editor program from the Ages of Empires Editor, they are very similar, except it goes into greater detail..but of course alot of the stuff doesnt apply to COTN

If you need further assistance, I can hook you up to my system and show you directly :)
Last edited by Karter on Fri May 20, 2005 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

NumakNatut III

Thank you.

Postby NumakNatut III » Fri May 20, 2005 6:55 pm

I understand. :D Great explanation!

Thanks for the additional info on the installer. I saw that and wondered If I was going to need that too. I can see that it would be handy for a lot of custom things. But, as long as I stick to the stock voice files it wouldn't be needed.

I also am interested in copying your method with the 'offerings' I have a similar requirement in my new scenario with food/resource supply shipments. I plan to look closely at how you switched them in and out as they were filled.

catgoddess83

I did it!

Postby catgoddess83 » Sat May 21, 2005 1:22 am

Hi Karter
I finally finished it after re-starting three times! :o I never caught on to the WALL thingy the first two times....Duh
Anyhoo, I thoroughly enjoyed it! The God offerings were a super nice and NEW facet. The Libyans "stealing" the quarry was a hoot! :D The only drawbacks were the laborers standing around staring at the place where it used to be and not doing any other tasks. I also had a problem quarrying basalt staues. The two overseers were identified as going to the quarry but in the main menu they were listed as quarrying steles. Obviously, since I was using obelisks, nothing after about five small staues was ever completed even though I had pedestal bases for large statues.
I've been reading you posts with Num. III and I have a suggestion if you don't mind. Since he volunteered to do the maps for your collaboration, keep your eye opened for us more "normal" players. His maps are very difficult (and very clever). Actually, I liked this last map of yours; good for building but not too large or too small with enough features to keep it interesting. Keep up the great work; I look forward to your next endeavor! :)

Cat

NumakNatut III

Postby NumakNatut III » Sat May 21, 2005 4:18 am

:) Hiya Cat! Thanks for the compliment on my maps. :) And congratulations on finishing!!
I'm interested though, How do you think my maps are hard? I mean, I'm not offended or anything but I want to know what you mean. How are they hard? If you can describe what was tough maybe I could tone that part down.

They all seem pretty straightforward to me. However, I know ANASAZI was a tough layout. That's what I was trying to push forward. You know, something 'different' from the other campaign scenarios. I was completely tired of the 'do this' and now 'do this' twenty times, and then you win; of the canned campaign. I was looking for something you, the player, had to do to 'conquer' the environment. It's just something different. Hey no hard feelings at all. :D Did you play TENOCHTITLAN?

I'm currently working on the map (edit: just finished it) for Darkdraggonness and Akasha. The one they want over on the Editing forum. I guarantee no tricks with the landscape. Just a simple 'build what you want till you drop' map. I'm sure you have no reason to worry. :)
Last edited by NumakNatut III on Sat May 21, 2005 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karter

Postby Karter » Sat May 21, 2005 7:46 pm

Hi Cat,

catgoddess83

I did it!

Hi Karter
I finally finished it after re-starting three times!

Glad to hear it :)

I dont understand the Basalt Statue problem unless you didnt have Cargo barges...
Some are destroyed later on, if you didnt notice ... and you need to rebuild them. And yeah, my original scenario, had it so you could do a God Offering and restore the quarries. But, the editor doesnt, work properly when creating quarries within the game :( ... Sorry, 'bout those jobless labours.

I am working on the last map now.. I have the battle sequencing almost done and need to add the rest of the main story-line..it has a romantic flair LOL
In it, you can elect to [B]chose a companion...Ewwww...Kissie-kissie-kissie [/B] and it has some very Unique God Offerings, kidnappings and the map is slightly larger 150x150

I hope to have it completed in a few weeks...Phew a lot of work :)
catgoddess83
I've been reading you posts with Num. III and I have a suggestion if you don't mind. Since he volunteered to do the maps for your collaboration, keep your eye opened for us more "normal" players.

Well, I think Num III should let you test drive the map and then we can let you do the female voices for the story-line :)

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:05 am

Well, Karter, I kept my promise. I hit the original scenario makers & returned to your series. I did not read the tips & jumped right in. The only thing I knew is that this scenario would make me nervous & demand speed. The opening set the stage. It was fantastic. Amazing actually. Ground breaking. I loved it & I sweated all the way through. Once again, you made me work for prestige.

The best so far! Thankx! :D

Return to “User-created Scenarios”