Screenshots of CAESAR 4..the highest high-the lowest low

Everything Caesar IV that doesn't fit elsewhere
marcus_uproarius

Postby marcus_uproarius » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:15 pm

well i have tried to post a larger reply than this, but I keep getting locked out of the thread - so much for dialogue

Cipher

Different Strokes for Different Folks

Postby Cipher » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:25 pm

I'm really energized looking at both approaches that Partizan and Marcus Uproarius are exploring. They've really spiced up the Screenshot Thread.

When I first started this game, I used more "Baroque" plans with curved plazas and a lot of diagonals. But as I progressed in the game, and had to make use of all the available space, especially in the cities that required 100 Culture and Prosperity Ratings, I had to get housing as close to as many amenities as possible, as efficiently as possible, and that often required more and more rectilinear layouts.

I'm hoping that if there's a further iteration of Caesar, that aesthetics will also become a judging criteria, so maybe one of the final cities will need a 100 Beauty rating. Along with other things I'd like to see: diagonal aqueducts, taverns and inns, tourists, manufacture and export of patrician goods, depiction of festivals, buildings on slopes, and a scalability and variety to the different building types (pleb insula that is the size of an equite house that holds 250 people, or a clinic the size of a market that ministers to a larger area.)

Cipher

Tarsus Cipherensis - Winging it...

Postby Cipher » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:00 pm

In anatomy, the Tarsus means the bones of the ankle, so in homage to Mercury who had wings at the ankles of his slippers, this city has two wings of housing with the Coliseum as the hinge.

1. 9,700 people need a lot of protection.
2. Double walled southwest and southeast.
3. Navicular Square
4. Talus District
5. Equite domi on Calcaneus Avenue.
6. Looking toward Mercury's House.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:12 pm

marcus_uproarius wrote:well i have tried to post a larger reply than this, but I keep getting locked out of the thread - so much for dialogue

Must be the gremlins again... :D

marcus_uproarius

Postby marcus_uproarius » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:43 am

wow 9,700 whew!
:eek:

nice work cipher.

has anyone taken a stab at the 1,000,000 population maps I saw in the online scenarios? Are there any in the regular game or are they only available online? If I top out at about 10, 000 I'll be impressed with myself at this stage, but 1,000,000? The biggest city I ever made in C3 was 22,000.

I agree with your take on some potential improvements in any further incarnation of this game, you clearly gave it some thought. I'd like to see smaller width roadways so that you can craft elaborate alley systems. Clearly the AI would need to be modified so they don't turn into every single alley they come across - especially as that's where thieves and brigands are likely stalking their next victim! Another thing this game desperately needs is about 2-3 times the current pallette in beautification sprites. I would dig a patch or even pay for an expansion that had a big whack of those. I know what you're thinking - "here goes that nut again hollering 'beauty, beauty, beauty!! from the top of his soap-box".

guilty, just take me away...
Last edited by marcus_uproarius on Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcus_uproarius

Postby marcus_uproarius » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:36 pm

nevermind about the million dollar question I just asked about population...just answered myself by reading another thread...

:o

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:26 pm

Cipher wrote:I'm hoping that if there's a further iteration of Caesar, that aesthetics will also become a judging criteria, so maybe one of the final cities will need a 100 Beauty rating.

An intriguing idea. Since it's possible in the scenario script to count how many of each type of decorative item is in the city, it might be possible to come up with a user-created scenario that does calculate a 'Beauty Rating' on this basis (something similar to the way the Culture Rating is calculated) and make it a goal. I'd be willing to explore this further if anyone's interested.

But before I go completely O/T, a shameless plug: Mons Argaeus after the eruption :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cipher

Fire and Ice

Postby Cipher » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:34 pm

Hieronymus that's an amazing view! I think your idea designing a scenario to favor a greater ratio of decorative elements to the rest of the built environment would work. But a beautiful city might need other measurable factors like fountains, or even a higher road surface ratio [i.e. boulevards, plazas, squares].

One of the things that might be possible to do is change the desirabilty effect between factories and housing or civic spaces, because in many beautiful cities, work and housing is all mixed together. So along with wine factories that no one minds living next to, perhaps the other industries that don't make smoke or too much noise: clothing, olive oil, might work right along side the patricians, and ones without too much smoke or noise: jewelry, glass, pottery might not be so bad alongside the equites, and the other industries wouldn't hurt the desirability for the plebs.

Cipher

Nicomedia Cipherensis - Bithynian' You (Number 6)

Postby Cipher » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:36 pm

With it's ideal situation as a crossroads commanding the approach to the the Black Sea, this town is where all the smart spies go for a working vacation.

1. Nicomedes Plaza - it's as if Old King Nicomedes is grinning at you!
2. The Library at Marmara Plaza is at the end of Astacus Avenue.
3. Olbia Avenue with the Forum on the right.
4. Mars's house from Nicomedes Plaza.
5. After the earthquake the plaza became split-level
6. Hemicycle 3 Plaza in the foreground, and Diocletian Plaza in the background.
7. The Hemicycle 3 has Poetry, Theater, and Circus so everyone in the family can have their choice of entertainment.
8. Nicomedia's Preferred Address: Diocletian Plaza
9. Can citizens get too cultured?!
10.With a healthy Jupiter Cult, crime isn't a problem in this neighborhood
11.A city this beautiful deserves a special lookout point.
12.Hannibal looked down from this point, and despairing of seeing anything more beautiful, later took his own life.
13.View from the porch of the Temple of Ceres.
14.Looking southeast towards Nicomedes Plaza.
15.Alexander's statue in front of the Olbia Avenue Theater.
16.This park is the favorite place for the vacationing spies to exchange information.
17.The Old Money live along Olbia Avenue.
18.Mercury glorified by Apollo.

prof786

Postby prof786 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:22 am

wow. the city is really pink. besides that, i'm totally in love with your street level screens cipher.

marcus_uproarius

Postby marcus_uproarius » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:33 pm

OK - first - Hieronymus - I want to have your baby if you develop criteria for beauty-based assessments required as a rating to finish a level.

second - after looking at the screenies cipher just posted above, I have to take a cold shower.

screaming hot city dude, well done

poor Hannibal - at least he saw something worth looking at before the end

:eek:

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:49 pm

@ cipher, marcus_uproarius - I'll take that as a "yes" then :D I'll see what I can come up with, but feel free to PM me if you have any further thoughts on how you'd like the Beauty Rating to work.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:07 pm

Spot the deliberate mistake...

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:02 pm

Yep, 0% waste = efficient. :D

Cartpusher

Postby Cartpusher » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:29 pm

Ideas for the "beautification" rating:

1) use the item count only. For example, when the total number of beautification items reaches the goal, the player gets a message that the city is known for its beauty.

2) weighted item count - more expensive items are worth more - the goal is set higher

3) only certain items count - the player gets intructions on what to build or the player only gets hints and clues about what the citizens consider beautiful

4) The beautification needs to be inside the walls. Don't allow meeting the rating unless the beautification is actually in the city and not a beauty park built somewhere outside the walls.

5) One way to make the beauty rating integral to the scenario would be to limit the availability of entertainment structures. Have them become available periodically as the city becomes more beautiful. Then the scenario can be won when the city is beautiful enough as measured by the entertainment rating.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:30 pm

Cartpusher wrote:Ideas for the "beautification" rating:

4) The beautification needs to be inside the walls. Don't allow meeting the rating unless the beautification is actually in the city and not a beauty park built somewhere outside the walls.

Won't stop me. I wall the map! :D

Hieronymus wrote: Spot the deliberate mistake...

Dat's funny! :eek:

Zero Favor should get you dead, not efficient! :D

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:45 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:Won't stop me. I wall the map! :D

Dat's funny! :eek:

Zero Favor should get you dead, not efficient! :D

:eek: Why is Caesar's army not marching?

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:25 pm

@cartpusher - many thanks for the input. I've started a new thread in case anyone else wants to contribute ideas.

thegrad wrote: :eek: Why is Caesar's army not marching?

OK I'll come clean - this one's from the editing labs. Postumius Albius asked whether it was possible for favor to go negative & this is the result of the test (after a request with an 80 favor penalty :eek: ). But it's a good question as I didn't hang around for Caesar's army to come. Maybe they took a wrong turning somewhere ("Nah, this can't be the right city - it says here this governor's efficient" :p )

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:47 am

I was finally able to get back to C4, tonight. E5E Ephesus & hunting for earthquakes. Mission accomplished!

Man-o-man, waiting years for that last request to get 60 favor. Stuck on 59. I should never have skipped the 50 armor. I could have done it easily.

I kept hearing that my housing block wouldn't work for 100 Culture; that we needed to put Services in the middle. ;)

< doin' mah part for Proud little Ugly™ builders everywhere ~ We rock too! >
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcus_uproarius

Postby marcus_uproarius » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:47 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:< doin' mah part for Proud little Ugly™ builders everywhere ~ We rock too! >

LAWL

I luv yer ugly little city - it's REALLY UGLY and so i luv it

:)

Return to “General Discussion”